Boys state rankings

Hawks1112
Varsity

Boys state rankings

Post by Hawks1112 »

The boys state rankings are out, if go on the yappi boys basketball site, there's topic there

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Boys state rankings

Post by Chieftain2009 »

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Watched the D3 #1 Archbold vs. Pettisville on Youtube...am I missing something? Archbold doesn't look terrible...but #1?

BallzDeep
Waterboy

Post by BallzDeep »

Mighty Trimble Tomcats ranked #7 in D4

Wburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Wburgfan »

522Pirate wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 pm Watched the D3 #1 Archbold vs. Pettisville on Youtube...am I missing something? Archbold doesn't look terrible...but #1?
You have to remember that polls mean nothing. The link is a good example of how the AP doesn’t look much outside their respected area. Cleveland.com voted Wheelersburg #9 while they actually came in as #2. If you look how they voted they seem to have voted off some recent history then big city schools leaving the small area like Burg at the bottom.
This doesn’t mean they aren’t more accurate than anyone else. Just shows why AP rankings in high school sports are meaningless.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

522Pirate wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 pm Watched the D3 #1 Archbold vs. Pettisville on Youtube...am I missing something? Archbold doesn't look terrible...but #1?
Archbold is a traditional powerhouse so they tend to get lots of love with votes if they have a good record (similar to Oak Hill receiving votes on the poll this year, we all can agree they are DEFINITELY not a ranked team).

Wheelersburg getting the #2 seed was great for a SE Ohio team as typically most schools around here don't get anywhere near the recognition they deserve.

If Wheelersburg ends the regular season undefeated, which I think they will, then I'd imagine they'll claim the #1 ranking by years end.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Absolutely...I don’t put much stock in “rankings”. I did figure Archbold must be pretty good but watching that game at least, I don’t think they would beat many teams around here. Just wondering if they were missing a player or two due to injury or something.
Last edited by 522Pirate on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

At least what happened in KY didn’t happen in Ohio yet. A school that closed 2 YEARS AGO received votes in a poll. I think the name of the school was South Floyd.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:30 pm At least what happened in KY didn’t happen in Ohio yet. A school that closed 2 YEARS AGO received votes in a poll. I think the name of the school was South Floyd.
That's hilarious. South Floyd H.S.
I recall one year a local TV station wanted to know the score of a game so they called the local newspaper for some help. After pleading for a score for Springfield Local they replied that Springfield was open this week. After going back and forth a bit the tv station finally got the message. And on the 11 o'clock news they said the final score was
Springfield 0
Open Local 0

Return to “Boys Basketball”