Wheelersburg @ South Webster 1/8/19

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Wheelersburg @ South Webster 1/8/19

Post by wobycat »

I’ve not seen Webster play but Holden had a pretty athletic kid guard him last night. Maybe not as athletic but pretty close to Blevins and he quietly had a 26 point night. Blevins and bockway can both have good nights and I think burg will still win by 10 or more. Burgs guards are really good shooting the ball.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:46 am I’ve not seen Webster play but Holden had a pretty athletic kid guard him last night. Maybe not as athletic but pretty close to Blevins and he quietly had a 26 point night. Blevins and bockway can both have good nights and I think burg will still win by 10 or more. Burgs guards are really good shooting the ball.
... I think you touched on it wobycat - and this IS why I want to see the Burg play vs a quality team - I KNOW that Holden is the real deal that's a given ... I want to see what the supporting cast adds to the mix ... DOES Holden HAVE TO score 30-50 points for Wheelersburg to win vs a quality opponent ? overall the burg plays a "not very strong" schedule especially if you compare it to the majority of my top 8/Elite 8 teams in SEOhio ... I get it - "you have to play the schedule you have been given" with THAT said- "is there a Wheelersburg "team"? or "is there a Wheelersburg "TEAM" ? the only way that is answered (for myself anyway) is for me to put "eyes on" the burg ... I've seen ALL of my other top 8 teams - seen them play vs excellent opponents and "among themselves" ... know their strengths, I have an idea as to what I feel are their weaknesses ... I want to see for myself what the strengths/weaknesses are for WHS ... hoping for an "eye full" Tuesday night at South Webster ...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

This is gonna be like the Burg vs Webster games of the past. Out for blood

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

I may have to take this game in

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 am
wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:46 am I’ve not seen Webster play but Holden had a pretty athletic kid guard him last night. Maybe not as athletic but pretty close to Blevins and he quietly had a 26 point night. Blevins and bockway can both have good nights and I think burg will still win by 10 or more. Burgs guards are really good shooting the ball.
... I think you touched on it wobycat - and this IS why I want to see the Burg play vs a quality team - I KNOW that Holden is the real deal that's a given ... I want to see what the supporting cast adds to the mix ... DOES Holden HAVE TO score 30-50 points for Wheelersburg to win vs a quality opponent ? overall the burg plays a "not very strong" schedule especially if you compare it to the majority of my top 8/Elite 8 teams in SEOhio ... I get it - "you have to play the schedule you have been given" with THAT said- "is there a Wheelersburg "team"? or "is there a Wheelersburg "TEAM" ? the only way that is answered (for myself anyway) is for me to put "eyes on" the burg ... I've seen ALL of my other top 8 teams - seen them play vs excellent opponents and "among themselves" ... know their strengths, I have an idea as to what I feel are their weaknesses ... I want to see for myself what the strengths/weaknesses are for WHS ... hoping for an "eye full" Tuesday night at South Webster ...
PFloyd,
They are an elite TEAM. I’ll give you my scouting report.
They are special in transition. They have 3 kids that can really spread you out because of their high level perimeter shooting. Holden is playing s lot more on the interior this year which makes teams have to honor the entire floor. The Miller kid is playing his role perfectly...distributing, ball handling, and creating for his teammates. They gave a great mix of offensive threats. Mullins, Truitt and Holden can get you 20-30 on any given night. Salyers is a great spot shooter that plays with intelligence. The bench fills roles and are very serviceable. Play about 8 comfortably. Defensively they are long and athletic. Do a pretty good job of guarding the ball but will need to improve as the talent level increases on the defensive end. They are an average rebounding team but Holden gobbles up about 20 a game or so it seems which makes them tough to handle. Overall, they are really good but need to improve there half court offense and defense come tourney time. A regional team for sure. But you’re right, schedule is weak for the talent they possess. I went to watch last night, and Portsmouth played very well, but Wheelersburg has a different gear that most don’t have.

My poor assessment, hope it helps!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

123xxx wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:20 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 am
PFloyd,
They are an elite TEAM. I’ll give you my scouting report.
They are special in transition. They have 3 kids that can really spread you out because of their high level perimeter shooting. Holden is playing s lot more on the interior this year which makes teams have to honor the entire floor. The Miller kid is playing his role perfectly...distributing, ball handling, and creating for his teammates. They gave a great mix of offensive threats. Mullins, Truitt and Holden can get you 20-30 on any given night. Salyers is a great spot shooter that plays with intelligence. The bench fills roles and are very serviceable. Play about 8 comfortably. Defensively they are long and athletic. Do a pretty good job of guarding the ball but will need to improve as the talent level increases on the defensive end. They are an average rebounding team but Holden gobbles up about 20 a game or so it seems which makes them tough to handle. Overall, they are really good but need to improve there half court offense and defense come tourney time. A regional team for sure. But you’re right, schedule is weak for the talent they possess. I went to watch last night, and Portsmouth played very well, but Wheelersburg has a different gear that most don’t have.

My poor assessment, hope it helps!
Thanks 123xxx ... as I said just because a team plays what may be considered a "weaker schedule" doesn't mean that the team -Wheelersburg isn't a excellent team ... schedules are put together by the "adults in the room" not the kids playing the game ... Wheelersburg IS absolutely an excellent basketball team - I want to see how they stack up vs the other Elite teams in Southern/Southeast Ohio - I have a pretty good "knowledge base" of the teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line as I have seen almost ALL of my top 20 (18 after this weekend) ...after Tuesday night I will have had eyes on ALL of the top 8 (9 teams coming into today before I post the rankings) ... I will see Warren live on Friday vs a top 8 Athens ball club - that leaves the only team in the top 20 on my rankings Ironton that I haven't seen I don't have a Pass Port to get into those foreign countries - KY, WVa. where they play 50% of their games ...

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

Thanks for the work you do as well as the appreciation you have for the game and people involved. When you see Warren you know Coach Maddox, regardless of his talent level (not sure this year), will have his kids playing great defense, they will be physical and disciplined. Always love watching his teams play. A lot like Coach Stiverson’s squads at Logan Elm. Again, thanks, and have a great new year!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

123xxx wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:31 pm Thanks for the work you do as well as the appreciation you have for the game and people involved. When you see Warren you know Coach Maddox, regardless of his talent level (not sure this year), will have his kids playing great defense, they will be physical and disciplined. Always love watching his teams play. A lot like Coach Stiverson’s squads at Logan Elm. Again, thanks, and have a great new year!
... you're right about Coach Maddox 123xxx ... excellent coach & staff at Warren ... all of the Warren coaching staff was present Saturday night to watch Fairfield Union and Sheridan (both possible opponents in the Logan D2 Sectional for Warren) - the boys from Warren were doing their homework ...

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Pulling for the Webster here and believe they'll have a shot with Blevins back. But Burg on a different level when they are hitting from outside (9 3-pointers against Portsmouth which makes them a matchup nightmare). I'll say Burg wins an entertaining game by a score of 65-58.*

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Can someone please post the rosters/#'s for both Wheelersburg and South Webster ...

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 pm Can someone please post the rosters/#'s for both Wheelersburg and South Webster ...
This is from Wheelersburg's website:

10 Trent Salyers 12
11 Dustin Darnell 12
12 Connor Mullins 12
13 Matthew Miller 10
14 Justin Salyers 12
15 Landon Thompson 10
21 Carter McCorkle 10
22 JJ Truitt 10
23 Tanner Holden 12
24 Ashton Clevenger 12
25 Mason Montgomery 10
33 Corey Maxie 11
35 Brayden Wilson 10

When I saw them #10, #11, #12, #22, and #23 started.

I don't see South Webster's on their website.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
JeepsWin
Waterboy

Post by JeepsWin »

go jeeps i think we surpise tonite

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

D-burgs team is solid this year! How many seniors do they have on their roster?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Spartan12 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:49 pm D-burgs team is solid this year! How many seniors do they have on their roster?
Looks like 6

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

Oh, I see that now oh buckeye 2. How many actually start? Do you know?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Webster up 4 going into the 4th!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Burg up 5 2 to go

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Congrats to the Pirates on a big win in a hostile environment. South Webster came to play and was up 9 in the 3rd quarter but the Burg made a big run, took the lead, and held on for a 70-62 win. I think Holden finished with 33 points.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Great effort by Webster

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Good hard fought game by both sides. Great atmosphere. Rematch should a good one too. Congratulations Pirates on a well earned victory tonight. Now on to Minford on Friday.

Return to “Boys Basketball”