Logan Sectonal

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Re: Logan Sectonal

Post by svc_guy »

bman wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:33 am
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 pm
bman wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 pm Frankly, it should be locked in after tonight. Fairfield got down 10 early tonight against Amanda and Conley made some really big shots to dig them out of the early hole. He finished with a game-high 18. Magill and Poston stepped up by combining for 14 points. Good road win for the Falcons over an Amanda team that has been playing well over the past couple of weeks.

1. Sheridan
2. Fairfield
3. Warren
4. Athens
5. Logan Elm
6. Vinton
7. Marietta
8. Circleville
9. New Lex
10. Westfall
If they lose to TV on Thursday you really think they get a 2 seed with 7 losses?
Yes, when you compare their schedule to Athens and they have a similar record as Warren does. If they win, it should be no contest for the two.
Can't say I agree with you there BMAN. The MSL is way down this year(evidence of everyone beating each other all year). Warren is playing a tougher schedule in conference for sure. The only thing I would give you is they beat Sheridan early but cant get on board with FU as a two seed. FU was beat by Unioto who just got handled by your last seeded Westfall team. I can tell you this, no one wants to play Warren over FU.

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

svc_guy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 am
If they lose to TV on Thursday you really think they get a 2 seed with 7 losses?
Yes, when you compare their schedule to Athens and they have a similar record as Warren does. If they win, it should be no contest for the two.
Can't say I agree with you there BMAN. The MSL is way down this year(evidence of everyone beating each other all year). Warren is playing a tougher schedule in conference for sure. The only thing I would give you is they beat Sheridan early but cant get on board with FU as a two seed. FU was beat by Unioto who just got handled by your last seeded Westfall team. I can tell you this, no one wants to play Warren over FU.
I'm not sure the logic of saying the MSL is way down just because teams beat up on each other, wouldn't another explanation be that it's a very deep league this year? I would say it's somewhere in the middle, but would certainly not say its "way down". I haven't seen Warren play besides a scrimmage, but not sure that every team would pick to play FU over Warren

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Treyman3 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:01 am

I'm not sure the logic of saying the MSL is way down just because teams beat up on each other, wouldn't another explanation be that it's a very deep league this year? I would say it's somewhere in the middle, but would certainly not say its "way down". I haven't seen Warren play besides a scrimmage, but not sure that every team would pick to play FU over Warren
We can agree to disagree on that thought but one more thing I would say is any team in the MSL has proven to be beatable by sub 500 teams on a regular basis. The league lacks the collegiate level studs it has had in the past. There a a couple but between the injuries and just lack of mature talent they are considered down by any outsider looking in. I have no statistical proof about the teams not wanting to play Wareen but take a look at last years tourney and you can see that right now the east and se teams are better. Time will tell.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

TravisHill222 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:34 pm 1 Sheridan 15-2
2 Athens 13-4
3 Fairfield Union 12-6
4 Warren 11-6
5 Logan Elm 10-8
6 Vinton County 8-8
7 Circleville 6-12
8 Marietta 5-11
9 New Lexington 5-11
10 Westfall 5-13
This looks like a lock for seeding. FU will probably get above Warren since Sheridan has more wins than Athens

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

svc_guy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am
We can agree to disagree on that thought but one more thing I would say is any team in the MSL has proven to be beatable by sub 500 teams on a regular basis. The league lacks the collegiate level studs it has had in the past. There a a couple but between the injuries and just lack of mature talent they are considered down by any outsider looking in. I have no statistical proof about the teams not wanting to play Wareen but take a look at last years tourney and you can see that right now the east and se teams are better. Time will tell.
If I took a look at last years tourney I would see that FU made it further than warren correct? I'm not sure how that supports your argument?

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Don't see Athens making it to far--to many tough match ups and tough coaches to go up against.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

FU is the only team in this district no one wants to play. They know how to win come tournament time

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Agree MSL is not what it has been, but the same holds true for the entire Southeast District. Lots of inconsistency. Also, Warren and Marietta are the only two coaches voting together in a 10-team sectional.

Fairfield Union is a dangerous team, because they have a very good PG going to a solid D2 school, along with some other decent supporting players, like Harrah, Poston, etc. who have some height. They also are good defensively and are well-coached.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 pm FU is the only team in this district no one wants to play. They know how to win come tournament time
Frankly, Fairfield had no business beating Amanda last night, but they did a nice job of making some defensive adjustments and shortening the game in the fourth quarter because of their ability to handle the basketball. Only four turnovers, as well, for the entire night.

Amanda scored 17 points in the first seven minutes and 21 for the next 25 minutes.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

TravisHill222 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:26 pm Whoever wins the 4 vs 5 game in this sectional will have to play ZT in the district semifinal
Whoever wins that game will cross that bridge when they get there. That's a tough sectional final.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:01 pm Don't see Athens making it to far--to many tough match ups and tough coaches to go up against.
You never have answered my question of why you have bitterness toward Athens? You were rooting for Alex to knock the big fish out of the pond last week and you have made other statements-why don’t you like Athens and don’t want to give them any respect?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

bman wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Agree MSL is not what it has been, but the same holds true for the entire Southeast District. Lots of inconsistency. Also, Warren and Marietta are the only two coaches voting together in a 10-team sectional.

Fairfield Union is a dangerous team, because they have a very good PG going to a solid D2 school, along with some other decent supporting players, like Harrah, Poston, etc. who have some height. They also are good defensively and are well-coached.
So is it fair to say if Conley has a bad night then FU struggles? The thing with Athens is they have a solid starting 5 and a top notch 6th man. Any given night any of those players are the leading scorer. Athens also holds the opponents to an average of around 40 points a game.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:40 pm

So is it fair to say if Conley has a bad night then FU struggles? The thing with Athens is they have a solid starting 5 and a top notch 6th man. Any given night any of those players are the leading scorer. Athens also holds the opponents to an average of around 40 points a game.
We have a few Fairfield posters who can probably answer that better than I can, but I would agree with that and cite the Logan Elm game as an example of that last month.

I would question the strength of Athens' schedule. I've watched them before and will agree with you they have a nice blend of height and athleticism, but with that schedule they should be close to being undefeated. I don't understand, for example, how they lose to Vinton County. I know Vinton is well-coached and I believe that game was at VC, but still.....

To be fair, I can also say the same thing about the Fairfield-Unioto game. With the inconsistency we've seen across the district this season, there have been some baffling results from one night to the next.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:37 pm
vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:01 pm Don't see Athens making it to far--to many tough match ups and tough coaches to go up against.
You never have answered my question of why you have bitterness toward Athens? You were rooting for Alex to knock the big fish out of the pond last week and you have made other statements-why don’t you like Athens and don’t want to give them any respect?
I don't want to speak for this poster but, in general, there still seems to be some resentment about Athens being "the big fish in the small pond", but Athens didn't hold a gun to the TVC's head to demand admission. They voted them in. I'd like to see Athens in a bigger league, but that's Athens' business.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Treyman3 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:54 pm
svc_guy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am

If I took a look at last years tourney I would see that FU made it further than warren correct? I'm not sure how that supports your argument?
I am referring to the conference and teams that Warren play against. Meadowbrook and John Glenn. Just believe their schedule is tougher.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

bman wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:44 pm

We have a few Fairfield posters who can probably answer that better than I can, but I would agree with that and cite the Logan Elm game as an example of that last month.

I would question the strength of Athens' schedule. I've watched them before and will agree with you they have a nice blend of height and athleticism, but with that schedule they should be close to being undefeated. I don't understand, for example, how they lose to Vinton County. I know Vinton is well-coached and I believe that game was at VC, but still.....

To be fair, I can also say the same thing about the Fairfield-Unioto game. With the inconsistency we've seen across the district this season, there have been some baffling results from one night to the next.
I agree with what you are saying about the coaches. I believe that could be a problem for Warren but the lower half teams also will want to vote according to who they would like to play. I still think Circleville, Marietta, New Lexington, and Westfall are up in the air depending on when everyone votes and what they want out of it. iE..Circleville and Marietta could flip flop, Westfall and New Lexington could also. I do not think its a lock on these positions.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

svc_guy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:56 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:40 pm So is it fair to say if Conley has a bad night then FU struggles? The thing with Athens is they have a solid starting 5 and a top notch 6th man. Any given night any of those players are the leading scorer. Athens also holds the opponents to an average of around 40 points a game.

I agree with what you are saying about the coaches. I believe that could be a problem for Warren but the lower half teams also will want to vote according to who they would like to play. I still think Circleville, Marietta, New Lexington, and Westfall are up in the air depending on when everyone votes and what they want out of it. iE..Circleville and Marietta could flip flop, Westfall and New Lexington could also. I do not think its a lock on these positions.
Agree with you that Marietta and Circleville, and New Lex and Westfall could easily be flipped, depending on how the coaches vote. We'll see on Sunday.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 pm FU is the only team in this district no one wants to play. They know how to win come tournament time
Yeah, I'm sure everyone is lining up to play Warren, Raider ... Bad coaching and lack of success makes em an easy target I guess. :mrgreen:

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

The night we lost to VC we were without our starting PG Elijah Williams And it was at Valhalla and against HOF Coach Combs, I don’t think I need to say more. Athens has a pretty tough schedule if you really look at it-like I said the worst loss was to Warren, lost by 6 to a darn good Waverly team which just beat Jackson by 11, only lost to VC by 1 and Gallia Academy by 10 the 1st game of the year and they had Loveday. Athens usually plays Logan Elm and for whatever reason they didn’t play this year during the season. I think Athens has beaten them the last 2 years.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Warren was not Athens' worst loss ... It's actually considered a good loss if anything.

Vinton County is the Bulldogs worst loss.

Return to “Boys Basketball”