12/28: Gallia Academy @ Logan

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Re: 12/28: Gallia Academy @ Logan

Post by SEOAL74 »

I believe it was about this time last year Gallia got smash by 50 points points by Fairland these kids responded by getting better and playing more pressure on the ball on defense. The next game against Fairland was a 2pt game. This team has 4 starters back from last years team and the first player off the bench who played as much as the starters so basically 5 starters as I said before if you beat this team you better beat them early because when this team gets it figured out watch out.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

SEOAL74 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:43 am I believe it was about this time last year Gallia got smash by 50 points points by Fairland these kids responded by getting better and playing more pressure on the ball on defense. The next game against Fairland was a 2pt game. This team has 4 starters back from last years team and the first player off the bench who played as much as the starters so basically 5 starters as I said before if you beat this team you better beat them early because when this team gets it figured out watch out.
... Gallia has all of the "pieces" - size(obviously) , perimeter shooters, one of the physically strongest teams I've seen AND one of the most physical teams I have seen (there is a difference as a team can be physical without being physically strong) ... because of their physicality as a team when they pressure the ball they can/do move the opponent out of places they want to be or are trying to get to ... probably the most glaring observation I took away from this game was one that seems to be the same when I see teams who have THAT big man in the middle - most teams don't know how to use the big man or haven't decided how to use the big man - I get it , the opposition works hard to make sure that the big man gets the double team when the ball comes into the paint BUT what I see (which holds true for GAHS & Loveday) - the rest of the team doesn't work hard enough to GET the ball inside ... not enough picks down low, not enough patience in LOOKING to get the ball inside OR when the ball does go inside and the double team comes the passer "stands" doesn't move or the player where the double team comes from doesn't move/cut to the rim, or when feeding the post when the defense is there ... the big kicks it back out (what I see more often than not is the ball goes away from the Big) what SHOULD happen is that once the ball goes back outside - the Big should reestablish his position as the defense relaxes THAT'S when the perimeter people HAVE TO get the ball BACK INSIDE .... all makes it LOOK like the big man is ineffective ... so I guess I'm putting SOME of the solution to making the BIG better/more effective on the rest of the players on the floor ... IF a team has a BIG I'm talking 7-2 Loveday BIG or 6-10 Jason Terry (Alexander) BIG , there needs to be MORE TEACHING of "How to FEED the post, HOW to MOVE WITHOUT THE BALL when the ball goes INTO the post, COMMUNICATING w/ the post as to where the double teams are coming from, making the pick & roll a must have offensive play " ...

... I've seen Zach Loveday only 3 times (vs Jackson at Gallia last year, at the Convo at the end of last season vs FU, and last night vs Logan) ... he obviously has the skills that have big time college programs looking at him, talking to him ... I KNOW that those coaches at the next level are looking at "what does he have, what can WE do to make him into the player that will help our college level team" ... in the 3 games I haven't seen him used as effectively as he CAN/COULD be used ... but I'm just a Cheap Seat guy who wants to see a BIG dominate a game in SEOhio (not necessarily vs my Purple mind you LOL ) ... I wish GAHS the best ! I hope the next time I see Loveday (Gallia vs Fairland on Friday the 11th of January) the GAHS TEAM has improved in getting the MOST out of the "gold mine" they are sitting on in Zach Loveday ... THEN NEXT YEAR ! 2 Loveday's with Zane Loveday (also a lefty) at 6-3 right now (only a freshman now as a soph next year and I will give him 6-6 or better by next season) ...

NoPain23
Freshman Team

Post by NoPain23 »

Honestly Gallia should be worried, yes I know they have lost 3 games against good teams but they seem lost as a team. The coaching is poor, you can’t play so slow and expect to be in a game with a team that can shoot lights out. You have a 7’1 kid who might post up 5 maybe 6 tines a game, yes he gets triple teamed he’s going to until the coach or the other players step up. It’s not hard to go into a game and say we double him or triple him and we win. Logan looked good they run a high intensity offense through Bo Myers and they can do that because the other 4 can shoot & score and help him out.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

here is my biggest problem. Gallia has 16 games left in probably at least 12 or 13 of them. Blue devils can win no matter how bad the offense is. Because the other 4 kids they have on the floor will be good enough to dribble drive past there defenders and get to the basket. This will cut down on the amount of people on loveday. And they will roll. They will gain enough confidence in those games to maybe get them over the hump in the other 4.

You can’t compare last years team to this years team last year Gallia was proving who they were. They didn’t get everyone’s best effort. This year they are. The recipe is out there and they have to adapt.

Also you are missing a big part of that team and that is Evan wiseman. And what your missing there is a kid who never saw a shot he didn’t like. Evan would probably take 8 to 12 shots a game add those to the shots call liked that was a ton of possessions. That was a lot of balls going in there air for the others to crash the boards on.

Blouse, Mcellend and Henry are really not going to chuck up that many shots a game. Really the only 2 kids you have on the bench that would take a lot of shots is bailey walker and maybe Ben cox.

This team would be better if the other 3 chucked up more shots. And Pfloyd is right. They really can’t get the ball to loveday well and when they do they don’t help him out.

I still say if they make some style adjustments they will be much better. I do not think Gallia is poorly coached. They may be but I really think when 40% of your starters are way more committed to football then basketball. When you have another player that spend a ton of time on the traveling AAU circuit or time with his personal trainer and the band. That the core of your team is not spending enough time playing together in the off season to improve the way you think they might.

Look they can do it in another way then pressing if they don’t want to press and you could do it with the Mcellend or with carter or or cox and that would be to start posting one of those kids in low post and working the offense through them the way they did with peck in the past. We are really running a offense built for a high and low post so why not do it even if you don’t have a 6 5 Peck. We have ran it with shorter post players in past.

I just think this team plays better when the offense feeds off the defense and they flow better. I say they figure it out

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Gallia jumped out to a 9/02 lead and all of a sudden their lay off kicks in and are outscore 12/00 the rest of the quarter. Has me thinking.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Logan had too much pressure out front to get the ball to Loveday . Pressure Full ,3/4and half court . 10 shots for Loveday not enough . Gallia has good players but Logan starting five about as good as they come . 5 shooters that and will knock down the 3s that knows it's starts with defense .Logan needs more balance in scoring and shots taken to see their full potential . Take note Gallia . Get good ball movement and knock down some 3s and make the other team guard you and that will open up the post . No double or triple teaming Loveday . One thing for certain if Logan had Loveday they would get him the ball and where he needs it . What a nice crowd . Chieftains seem to really support their team and Gallia travels well. The addition of having the Buckeye coach there made a great atmosphere . Make no mistake he was there because of a 7' 1" player but he had to be impressed with SEO High School Basketball . I would say both teams will be better come Tourney time if they look at film and learn from every game . Hats off to the Logan Defense . That's the difference as I see it from the Cheap seats . Gallia, clean up some things and we might see a district title , but start knocking down some 3s and open up the post

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

noreply66 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:46 pm Gallia jumped out to a 9/02 lead and all of a sudden their lay off kicks in and are outscore 12/00 the rest of the quarter. Has me thinking.
Yea they choked on there rust I guess.. LOL. Logan just whipped us no excuses

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

One stat stood out to me ! 6 of 15 at the free throw line ! 40 percent ? WOW! JMO Thats your time on the court ! That makes brick layers news! If you can't shoot you can't win!

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

does the younger loveday get any varsity time, maybe play them both and you cant double big brother

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

Geronimo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:15 am One stat stood out to me ! 6 of 15 at the free throw line ! 40 percent ? WOW! JMO Thats your time on the court ! That makes brick layers news! If you can't shoot you can't win!
If you look at at this game and break it down Geronimo your exactly right in big games you have to make your free throws and we missed out on 9 points that cuts the final to a 9 point game and you add all the three's Logan make compared to what Gallia made that's your ball Game. Yes I believe Loveday needs more touches, I believe we need more picks set and move the ball inside out and kids need to be spaced out on floor so when they double and triple team Loveday he will have plenty of options, but Loveday needs to look for cutters and people spotted up for three's.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

True Loveday needs to look for cutters ! Right ! But Jmo GA has know pure shooters ! That could be in back of his mind ? It's going to get interesting see how all this plays out !

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia has one pure shooter bailey walker. Mcellend can really shoot the 3. But if you watch he is not a good catch and shoot guy. He needs to dribble into his shot to be most accurate

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Walker avg ? Mcellend avg ? Pure shooter is when you come across half court and looking !
Last edited by Geronimo on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think walker is above average but can be streaky. And hasn’t done well shooting outside off the bench. But is the kind of shooter you would want on a spot for loveday.

I do believe Mcellend in his career over 40% or right at 40% for his career. From 3 Point area. I think that qualifies as good. Now would he shoot that if you wanted him to chuck it up up there 7 or 8 times a game I don’t know. But he is not even average at catch and shoot. He really needs to dribble into his shot to be effective from there.

But otherwise your right. There aren’t a lot of options. And I really think that is part of problem of how they use loveday. They have a lot of guys who can dribble drive to basket but not many who are good at passing off the drive. There not great pure shooters. So your left with getting creative.

I think they will figure it out. But I knew going in would not be easy. That is why I thought people talking undefeated were crazy was sure it would take some time.

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

Call can shoot the three also, your right Bailey Walker probably the best three point shooter on team, but he is real streaky he can hit 5 or 6 in a row can then miss 5 or 6 six in a row and sometimes takes shots he shouldn't shoot. His big weakness is defense he hurts them on the defensed end. But I think I would play him when they start double and triple teaming Loveday and take my changes on defense. We also need to drive ball right at the basket when they are double and triple teaming him and make the defense respond to us instead of forcing the ball in to a triple team. If they pick us up dish it to Loveday if they don't pick us up take it to basket. I think also Loveday sets up in one spot to long he needs to keep resetting and he needs to get closer to the basket using the rim as a shield when he sets up so he can use the basket to keep the double and triple team from effected him when he gets the ball he can go straight up and score!

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

It's go to be interesting ? Coaching wise and player wise? Good luck to you and yours !

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

When some players set up too long at times and tries to adjust it has lead to a lot of 3 second calls.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:44 pm When some players set up too long at times and tries to adjust it has lead to a lot of 3 second calls.
That’s something that they have to work on in practice to get it right!

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Your not a pure shooter all courts are the same ! Tight baskets loose ones ! You walk the court before the game .some players set up to long ! Know the court! When you come across half court move and looking .
Last edited by Geronimo on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Something to think about Logan has a fine team and good team for southeastern ! But a good Avg. Team up north !

Return to “Boys Basketball”