Division 3 Tournament Info

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Division 3 Tournament Info

Post by mlittle »

Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:21 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:38 pm I believe Wheelersburg is a Final Four Team. I’ve seen Harvest Prep on tape and Wheelersburg can beat them. I don’t think any southern Ohio team has a chance to beat Burg. They are just too talented. The kid from South Webster puts them over the top.
Piketon can beat Burg, about did it last year
I know I have a history with Piketon so I mean no disrespect but there is just no way

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:38 pm I believe Wheelersburg is a Final Four Team. I’ve seen Harvest Prep on tape and Wheelersburg can beat them. I don’t think any southern Ohio team has a chance to beat Burg. They are just too talented. The kid from South Webster puts them over the top.

Waverly beat Piketon by 22

Burg beat Waverly by 18

Just sayin'....

Post by mlittle »

warrior1 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:08 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:39 am Jackson Sectional teams and records: (I may be off on a few, please post any corrections.)

Wheelersburg 14-0
Eastern Pike 14-1
Alexander 11-2
Fairland 12-4
Oak Hill 10-4
Ironton 10-5
Chesapeake 10-6
Meigs 7-8
South Point 6-8
Belpre 7-9
Nelsonville York 6-9
Minford 5-9
Crooksville 4-10
Rock Hill 3-11
Wellston 2-11

Waverly Sectional updates records: (I may be off a few, please post any errors in records)

North Adams 12-2
Western 12-3
Adena 11-4
Eastern Brown 10-4
Piketon 8-8
West Union 7-8
Portsmouth West 6-8
Paint Valley 6-7
Portsmouth 6-10
Valley 5-10
Huntington Ross 4-11
Southeastern 3-12
Lynchburg Clay 2-13
Northwest 1-12
I am very excited to see my Adena Warriors this year in post season play. They have a great chance to make a nice tournament run.
I like Adena in this sectional

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Piketon better worry about getting out of the sectional first.

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Waverly beat Piketon by 22

Burg beat Waverly by 18

Just sayin'....
Anything can happen at the Comvocation Center during basketball 30

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

They lost 66-50. I was at this game, and it was never in question. Burg was hands down the better team. They're even better this year and Piketon isn't as good. Burg would win this game by 30+.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

Burg is the class of D3 in our area by a large margin. After that, you have several schools that are well coached (Fairland, Eastern Pike, Eastern Brown, Western, Oak Hill,Fairland, etc) with some nice pieces, but overall there is not a big list of outstanding D3 teams this season. Tourney time anything can happen. Jackson sectional is much stronger. At Waverly, literally any team in the sectional is capable of beating everyone else regardless of seeds. For example, Portsmouth and Valley will have lower seeds and are very capable teams.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

thank you lucas, very cool!

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Calling it now Burg will lose to Waverly next week.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

AnkleBraces wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:34 am Calling it now Burg will lose to Waverly next week.
Very possible. Might even be good for them however it won't effect seeding nor them winning the SOC.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:13 am
They lost 66-50. I was at this game, and it was never in question. Burg was hands down the better team. They're even better this year and Piketon isn't as good. Burg would win this game by 30+.
This was a close game through three qtrs last year but I agree. Piketon isn’t as good as they were last year and burg much better. This would probably be a blowout but we will never know for sure

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

If Portsmouth can play at Waverly like they did last night at South Point (a 57-56 loss), they could upset a higher seed. The Trojans are probably looking at an #8, #9, or #10 seed. South Point is the only team to beat Fairland in the OVC.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Some of you live in your own little world. I get that. Do you understand Garaway lost to harvest prep in OT last years D-3 regionals finals and Meadowbrook won D-2 regionals in SE. The kool aid taste good but major battles will happen at the Convo in D-3.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

We would think burg runs away but not so fast fairyland will battle. Still would not bet against burg. Beaver also will play some d. it’s all about the matchups!

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

Oak Hill is not as good as their record might indicate. No bench and only a couple scoring options.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Boys Div III
2019 TSYS's DRAFT Sectional/District Composite Bracket
Based on pfloyd's current rankings

Post by bbjunky81 »

Thank you Tri-State, that's very interesting to look at.

I don't see any "glaring" problems, but I would think Alexander ends up higher seeded than Fairland. Not saying they are better, but they'll have a better record at the draw and sometimes that matters to coaches who vote.

That would be a very favorable draw for Portsmouth.

Fairland vs. Peake sectional final would be a battle!

Oak Hill vs. Eastern Round 2 in the sectional final would be fun!

Wheelersburg would be ecstatic if the draw ends up like that.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

That pod with sectional finals of Eastern Pike vs Oak Hill and Western vs Piketon would be fire.

A possible 4th matchup between Eastern and Western at a 3rd different venue would be really fun.

Piketon is playing better and has the guard play to be a tough out for anybody.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

If the draw were today, I believe Fairland could argue the second seed. They are playing about as well as anyone right now.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

EHigh: I already mentioned Garaway as a threat to win the regional earlier in this thread. They played Harvest Prep last year much tougher than did Wheelersburg, and it looks like the Pirates (Garaway's nickname) are a good bet to at least make the Sweet 16 again. I do think Fairland is a team to watch simply because of their style of play. If anybody falls behind early, the Dragons have shown time and again they know how to eat clock......and tournament games tend to be lower scoring anyway.

Wheelersburg is really good, but anybody can have a cold shooting night, and the Burg has relied heavily on perimeter shooting......other than Tanner Holden, they don't beat their opponents a lot off the dribble. A quick team that can defend the perimeter could give WHS trouble. By the way, I've seen Wheelersburg twice this year, against Ironton and Portsmouth. Ironton allowed the Pirates to hit 11 three pointers, while the Burg pulled away from the Trojans in the 2nd half with perimeter shooting. Holden had 26 points vs. PHS, but in the tournament, opposing coaches will try to minimize Holden's ability to get points in the paint (easier said than done) and get Wheelersburg to rely more on its perimeter game, which could be unpredictable given the history of the Convo.

I've also seen Oak Hill and Eastern, and I think of the two, Eastern would be a tougher matchup because of Evan Leist. His quickness and excellent ballhandling which sets up his teammates for shots will give any opposing team trouble. Miller is a legitimate tough matchup for anybody's else's big. Oak Hill has Darby and Hammond, but are not as strong at guard.

I still think Ironton is very capable of pulling off an upset of a higher seed. The Fighting Tigers lost to Wheelersburg by 8, Fairland by 2,and Coal Grove by 3 in 3OT. Nobody blows Ironton out. They will hang with anyone by the 4th quarter.

I haven't seen Alexander, so the only comment I can make on them is that they appear to be much better than last year's squad, they play a good schedule, and have the size with the Terry kid.

As far as the Waverly sectional, I don't see anyone that could advance to the regional, but upsets happen. Western, North Adams, Adena, and Eastern Brown are probably the top 4, but to beat one of the Jackson teams will take a really good game by them. Could happen, but not likely. I do like the way Coach Buechler gets the most out of his EB Warriors. Another team that always seems to hang around with a chance to win in the 4th quarter.

Wheelersburg is my pick to win their 20th district title, while it could come down to Ironton vs. Eastern Pike if the brackets play out like above.

Return to “Boys Basketball”