Athens vs. Alexander

spartans_fan
Varsity

Re: Athens vs. Alexander

Post by spartans_fan »

Alexander really struggles against a zone. Athens was committed to defense, rebounding and attacking the basket.

Spartans have a tough schedule going forward. We will see how they bounce back.

Go Alex.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

SOC94 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:13 am Being that tall you should be use to getting doubled teamed night in and night out. I’m not saying he didn’t have a bad night but for Alexander to be really good he can’t have bad nights. He should know how to deal with doubles having played AAU and being a Junior. Wasn’t at the game that’s just my opinion. Wish both teams nothing but luck. I was just assuming the kid was wanting to play at the next level and found that a bit shocking.
There was no double team. Athens just played their basic zone D they play every game.

Caleb will be fine. His dad was a late bloomer, didn't have a lot of big time offers when he chose Ohio University.

I personally would like to see Caleb have a bigger impact on the defensive side of the floor. His length and wingspan should be wreaking havoc on opposing teams.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

SOC94 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:02 am So the Terry kid didn’t score a single point... how are you 6’10, play in southern Ohio, and not score a single point. I’m amazed by that stat.
It is amazing....Each time I've seen Athens they have used a zone defense effectively. They are good at making you shoot from outside. They protect the paint.

basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Post by basketball12349 »

SOC94 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:13 am Being that tall you should be use to getting doubled teamed night in and night out. I’m not saying he didn’t have a bad night but for Alexander to be really good he can’t have bad nights. He should know how to deal with doubles having played AAU and being a Junior. Wasn’t at the game that’s just my opinion. Wish both teams nothing but luck. I was just assuming the kid was wanting to play at the next level and found that a bit shocking.
He probably is used to being double teamed just not by two massive football players haha. That double team probably out weighed Terry by about 200 pounds. Not trying to insult anyone about their weight just a twig struggles to move two boulders. Be excited to see how he bounces back. And I’m assuming that at the next level Terry will be playing against people with his build while Butcher and Justin at the next level will on the offensive line for the football team. Haha

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

The Terry kid not scoring honestly does not surprise me. I have only seem him play one game this season and it was against VC, but he did not play aggressive enough on the offensive side of the floor. I maybe only saw a couple times where he got good positioning in the post and the guards did not throw him the ball. I didn't get a chance to catch the game against Athens but if I had to guess he probably didn't assert himself in the post and for Alex to win games like this he needs to be the most aggressive player on the floor.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

I agree with what’s being said. I just didn’t want to come of as sounding rude which when I re-read what I said it kinda sounded that way. I know these are 15–18 year old kids we are talking about that read this and some take this stuff to heart. Again this was just my opinion.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Reds Fan wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:45 pmfor Alex to win games like this he needs to be the most aggressive player on the floor.
If he does - or can - Alexander will be a threat to win a DIII district championship.

Still early - just 7 games in - plenty of time to improve.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Best of luck to the Terry kid. People analyzing his effort and point totals based on his height. C’mon people.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:08 pm Best of luck to the Terry kid. People analyzing his effort and point totals based on his height. C’mon people.
Just my curiosity but what are your thoughts then?

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:04 pm
Reds Fan wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:45 pmfor Alex to win games like this he needs to be the most aggressive player on the floor.
If he does - or can - Alexander will be a threat to win a DIII district championship.

you are correct, the kid has talent. once he gets some confidence and has a big game the TVC better watch out.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SOC94 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:50 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:08 pm Best of luck to the Terry kid. People analyzing his effort and point totals based on his height. C’mon people.
My thoughts are his Dad is 7’2 and played at OU...Caleb is 6’10 kid and getting over analyzed because he is tall. We’re there any 5’11 kids on either team that didn’t score or gain perfect position in the post.

I’ve heard Loveday likes the band more than basketball....I get it

coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

Reds Fan wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:03 pm

you are correct, the kid has talent. once he gets some confidence and has a big game the TVC better watch out.
Needs to get I weight room, he’s weak as a kitten

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:40 pm
SOC94 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:50 pm
My thoughts are his Dad is 7’2 and played at OU...Caleb is 6’10 kid and getting over analyzed because he is tall. We’re there any 5’11 kids on either team that didn’t score or gain perfect position in the post.

I’ve heard Loveday likes the band more than basketball....I get it
I'm not dogging the Terry boy in anyway but the other 5'11 kids on the team do not play as an important role as Terry does. they aren't put in that position to have to score a bunch of points or help carry the team. Terry plays a lot of minutes for a good Alexander team and is a center piece for them. Terry is a great ball player and is doing great things for Alexander. no disrespect to the other 5'11 kids on the team but they aren't put in that situation to be criticized as much as Terry. Terry has proven that he is a big time player for them and when he has an off night, everyone does at least once, it would be more surprising to hear a stat like that compared to some other 5'11 kid having a stat line like that.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

How’s he getting over analyzed? Lol all I said was that it was a shocking stat to find out he didn’t score a single point. My apologizes for striking a nerve.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Here's a thought. How about give some credit to Isiah Butcher and the other Bulldogs who shut him down with their tenacious defense. Some may laugh because I said Butcher held Loveday to 17 points in the season opener. A 7' 1" top recruit for top programs and only gets 17 in the season opener and then scores 35 on Afrocentric a very athletic and known program-well that tells me a lot about Athens defense and Isiah Butchers ability to handle big men.

basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Post by basketball12349 »

coachK wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:53 am
Reds Fan wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Needs to get I weight room, he’s weak as a kitten
It’s probably pretty hard or at least harder to put on muscle mass being that long. I wasn’t able to see his father in his younger years but from the way he looks now it looks like he was pretty skinny too. So with being long and having the skinny genes it’s probably more difficult to do. I would assume that when he goes to the next level and he has a strength coach that mass should come. Does anyone know if he is still growing?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Jason Terry was as skinny as could be.
But he was legit 7'2.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SOC94 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:31 am How’s he getting over analyzed? Lol all I said was that it was a shocking stat to find out he didn’t score a single point. My apologizes for striking a nerve.
I wasn’t even to referring to any one person. Wasn’t even aware you posted before my initial question.

Sorry I unintentionally struck a nerve

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:14 am Here's a thought. How about give some credit to Isiah Butcher and the other Bulldogs who shut him down with their tenacious defense. Some may laugh because I said Butcher held Loveday to 17 points in the season opener. A 7' 1" top recruit for top programs and only gets 17 in the season opener and then scores 35 on Afrocentric a very athletic and known program-well that tells me a lot about Athens defense and Isiah Butchers ability to handle big men.
I did and do laugh at “holding” to 17 of Loveday but 100% agree your Athens kids get the credit for greatly holding down Terry. I applaud the Athens big guys who are strong and play very good defense in and out of the different schemes.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:25 pm Jason Terry was as skinny as could be.
But he was legit 7'2.
He could hula hoop with a cheerio back in the day

Return to “Boys Basketball”