OHSAA Adjusts Format For Boys Basketball State Semifinals

Post by radiodavel »

OHSAA Adjusts Format For Boys Basketball State Semifinals
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2018 ... semifinals

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: OHSAA Adjusts Format For Boys Basketball State Semifinals

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Just another way to try to get more people in that "cavernous" place but that won't work either. Much as in football the OHSAA made their own bed by jacking up ticket prices, moving venues etc. starting late in the last century and alienated a ton of casual fans from around the state who used to attend all these events yearly so they're gonna do what they need to do till this idea runs it's course. I remember back in the late 90's early 2000's when LeBron was there and tickets were at a premium, OSU police would issue court summons to the Franklin county courthouse to fans outside the Schott trying to sell 1 or 2 good lower level tickets but turned a blind eye to coaches /teachers/administrators who had tons of good tickets for sale outside. One guy from Medina for years always had a satchel full of lower level tickets. In my mind OHSAA created their own problems when this started happening along with other scalpers that were legit because they had a "vendors" license. Many years ago 80's - 90's you could wait in line outside St. John's for some courtside seats that participating schools hadn't sold and turned back in for resale, go to the ticket booth and get them for $5.00. Those were the days.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Don't see much changing with this new policy in effect. Will still be a ton of empty seats regardless of the change as most casual high school fans couldn't care about watching a game their team isn't playing in. They'll just show up later, or leave after the first game.

Snodgrass is open to the idea of moving the State Tourney back to St. John Arena. 9-10k in there is still a pretty good atmosphere. Same amount of people in the Schott and the place is a morgue. Face it OHSAA, the Schott sucks for college bball, let alone high school games.*

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I like it.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

So are they giving the real fans of the games the side seats or are they still going to put them in the corners and the rafters??

That is what needs to change IMO!! A casual fan might go if they didn't have to sit behind the basket or up in the rafters.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Way over due. We’ll see how it works out. Going to St. John’s would be incredible !

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Good. Like others have said, going back to St. John would be the best move to make, but I think this is a good start.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

The OHSAA has been open to returning to St. John's Arena for the past several years. However, Ohio State will not allow them to use St John for either Girls or Boys State Basketball Tournament.

OHSAA can only host where they are given options. Nationwide was looked as a possibility. However, rental fees were going to be 2.5-3 times as much as the Schott.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

As someone who has went to the State Tournament for over 20 years and have watched it's decline ---- this is a positive move in the right direction. It's not perfect, and it doesn't fix all, but it's definitely a positive move that should have happened years ago.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

St Johns Arena is out of the question. Corvelli Arena for Ohio State Volleyball, Wrestling and a few other minor sports is going open in 2019 with seating for up to 4000. This will allow OSU to focus on building a new indoor track facility which will probably have a hockey facility attached. When that is completed then St Johns Arena with current indoor facility and hockey rink will be torn down.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:53 pm Just another way to try to get more people in that "cavernous" place but that won't work either. Much as in football the OHSAA made their own bed by jacking up ticket prices, moving venues etc. starting late in the last century and alienated a ton of casual fans from around the state who used to attend all these events yearly so they're gonna do what they need to do till this idea runs it's course. I remember back in the late 90's early 2000's when LeBron was there and tickets were at a premium, OSU police would issue court summons to the Franklin county courthouse to fans outside the Schott trying to sell 1 or 2 good lower level tickets but turned a blind eye to coaches /teachers/administrators who had tons of good tickets for sale outside. One guy from Medina for years always had a satchel full of lower level tickets. In my mind OHSAA created their own problems when this started happening along with other scalpers that were legit because they had a "vendors" license. Many years ago 80's - 90's you could wait in line outside St. John's for some courtside seats that participating schools hadn't sold and turned back in for resale, go to the ticket booth and get them for $5.00. Those were the days.
That was 40 years ago!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:23 pm Don't see much changing with this new policy in effect. Will still be a ton of empty seats regardless of the change as most casual high school fans couldn't care about watching a game their team isn't playing in. They'll just show up later, or leave after the first game.

Snodgrass is open to the idea of moving the State Tourney back to St. John Arena. 9-10k in there is still a pretty good atmosphere. Same amount of people in the Schott and the place is a morgue. Face it OHSAA, the Schott sucks for college bball, let alone high school games.*
The decision is not the OHSAA’s alone, there are other considerations, like the availability of the Schott.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

socfan wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 am The OHSAA has been open to returning to St. John's Arena for the past several years. However, Ohio State will not allow them to use St John for either Girls or Boys State Basketball Tournament.

OHSAA can only host where they are given options. Nationwide was looked as a possibility. However, rental fees were going to be 2.5-3 times as much as the Schott.
^^^^^Winner Winner^^^^^

bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

Just bring it on down to the Convo---we'll take it!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:30 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:53 pm Just another way to try to get more people in that "cavernous" place but that won't work either. Much as in football the OHSAA made their own bed by jacking up ticket prices, moving venues etc. starting late in the last century and alienated a ton of casual fans from around the state who used to attend all these events yearly so they're gonna do what they need to do till this idea runs it's course. I remember back in the late 90's early 2000's when LeBron was there and tickets were at a premium, OSU police would issue court summons to the Franklin county courthouse to fans outside the Schott trying to sell 1 or 2 good lower level tickets but turned a blind eye to coaches /teachers/administrators who had tons of good tickets for sale outside. One guy from Medina for years always had a satchel full of lower level tickets. In my mind OHSAA created their own problems when this started happening along with other scalpers that were legit because they had a "vendors" license. Many years ago 80's - 90's you could wait in line outside St. John's for some courtside seats that participating schools hadn't sold and turned back in for resale, go to the ticket booth and get them for $5.00. Those were the days.
That was 40 years ago!
I'm basically pointing out the way the "Good" seats (midcourt and foul lines extended) were always and will always be gobbled up by anybody that's an insider. I haven't attended in about 10 years but in the Schott I'm sure the participating teams fans still have to sit behind the baskets (students) and in the corners of the baselines at an angle (school sold tickets) unless you want to pay enormous scalper prices for lower bowl (100 level, sideline foul line extended on both ends) seats nowadays. Actually, the Club seats are a lot more comfortable (200 level). * The year they moved to the Schott (20 years ago, 98 I believe) is the time when the leftover schools tickets that were returned could no longer be purchased in the same format as referenced above so who gets dibbs on those first ? I can probably guess *

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:45 am
Pol pot wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:30 pm
That was 40 years ago!
I'm basically pointing out the way the "Good" seats (midcourt and foul lines extended) were always and will always be gobbled up by anybody that's an insider. I haven't attended in about 10 years but in the Schott I'm sure the participating teams fans still have to sit behind the baskets (students) and in the corners of the baselines at an angle (school sold tickets) unless you want to pay enormous scalper prices for lower bowl (100 level, sideline foul line extended on both ends) seats nowadays. Actually, the Club seats are a lot more comfortable (200 level). * The year they moved to the Schott (20 years ago, 98 I believe) is the time when the leftover schools tickets that were returned could no longer be purchased in the same format as referenced above so who gets dibbs on those first ? I can probably guess *
This thread goes to show that regardless of what happens, some people just want to complain.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

It would be a huge mistake to tear down St. John s Probably a money deal but still a great place for many functions.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

E High wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:20 am It would be a huge mistake to tear down St. John s Probably a money deal but still a great place for many functions.
I am sure the Board of Trustees at OSU would be interested in your input, especially since they have probably not done any studies on the financial impact and what is better for their campus community and student-athletes.

I am sure they would welcome your insight:

https://trustees.osu.edu/

E High
All State

Post by E High »

I may do that. Thank you very much. I always take suggestions seriously. I’m sure they’ll listen.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I like the change and it's about time they did it. Moving it to St.John Arena is intriguing. I remember watching the Trojans there and it was a much better atmosphere than the Schott is.

Return to “Boys Basketball”