Student sections

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Student sections

Post by 4thgoal »

It was maybe close to going too far, but I remember a few years ago the Burg cheer block was chanting at an opposing player....."Who wears short shorts.....he wears short shorts...."and pointing at a guy who was wearing shorts way shorter than anyone else on the court. Surprised they even knew about the old commercial that used that line.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:30 am Yeah how dare they wear flannel and cowboy/work boots!!! The nerve of some people. Then to go completely of the rails by pretending to birth a baby during a foul shot.

They should just stick to experimenting with sex or drugs or something worse. SMH. Maybe they should just stand there and do a polite golf clap. Just kids having fun, you guys remember what that is don’t you?
I don't know if they still do this but any time Logan would head north (especially Lancaster) the student sections would wear overalls, straw hats, boots, etc. Nobody from Logan complaining about it LOL.

langra
Riding the Bench

Post by langra »

Well it's a sad day in youth sports. Some of the students were called into the office yesterday and the Big Bad Bullies of the Burg were told to tone it down after numerous phone calls and complaints from the fans and parents from NW. I was at the game Friday and there was nothing disrespectful about what they were doing. They have had a country theme for the last several years along with a beach and numerous other themes. How many times have you watched a college game and the home student section turns there back on the opposing team and tried to distract them while they are shooting foul shots. If this game would have been close or if even if NW would have pulled off an upset nothing would have been said. But the fact of the matter they lost by 55 if that's why there butts hurt. Not what the cheer block was doing. SMH

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

As long as the students don't say things way over the top, then I can handle about anything.

Student sections are great, they can drastically impact the atmosphere of a game not just for the players but for the fans as well. I also agree that Northwest getting upset over "country night" is quite silly, kids have done themes in the cheerblock for decades. I wish more schools/students would have a cheer block.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

langra wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:01 am Well it's a sad day in youth sports. Some of the students were called into the office yesterday and the Big Bad Bullies of the Burg were told to tone it down after numerous phone calls and complaints from the fans and parents from NW. I was at the game Friday and there was nothing disrespectful about what they were doing. They have had a country theme for the last several years along with a beach and numerous other themes. How many times have you watched a college game and the home student section turns there back on the opposing team and tried to distract them while they are shooting foul shots. If this game would have been close or if even if NW would have pulled off an upset nothing would have been said. But the fact of the matter they lost by 55 if that's why there butts hurt. Not what the cheer block was doing. SMH
Geez. Northwest parents have nothing better to do than to waste school administration time? There once was a country where you could discern what was worth fighting for and what was not. This is no longer. I was made fun of by kids when I was in school by the shoes I wore. My mom didn't go to the school, or call the school. She said, son, if they want you to wear nice shoes, they can pay for them. End of story.

BurgBaskets
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBaskets »

Oh boy, I can't believe Northwest parents complained about the cowboy boots!

I think that when Burg plays at Northwest coming up, all students should sit together and hold hands, if holding hands is not too offensive to some Northwest parents. If they can all cheer "LET'S GO TEAM" with making no reference to any individual's school, that would work out better. Everyone can wear the colors of the rainbow to not specifically make one team feel sad that an individual may not be wearing blue/white or orange. The students can all cheer "YOU GUYS ARE GOOD" with making no reference to any individual's school, so that all parents in the stands can feel that their boys are the best players in the history of the game of basketball. Let's not do a 50/50 pot...except that one person who wins, everyone else is sad and have hurt feelings that they don't win. The mean referees should let players keep shooting free throws on fouls until they make one, and not count the ones that they missed. We can all applaud the made free throw and congratulate the player on the excellent efforts at not giving up during his 10 misses.

I am sure that if the above is done, some parents may be calling because if they have hearing problems and when they say Let's Go Team, it may sound like Let's Go Burg. Some parents may call Wheelersburg during the upcoming game, complaining of home court advantage, but the Burg Administration will have to be bold in the face of fear, and apologize, but say that is Northwest's own home court that they are playing at. We must be very gentle and hug each other though, maybe give some gift cards or something for their concerns.

JeepsWin
Waterboy

Post by JeepsWin »

BurgBaskets wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am Oh boy, I can't believe Northwest parents complained about the cowboy boots!

I think that when Burg plays at Northwest coming up, all students should sit together and hold hands, if holding hands is not too offensive to some Northwest parents. If they can all cheer "LET'S GO TEAM" with making no reference to any individual's school, that would work out better. Everyone can wear the colors of the rainbow to not specifically make one team feel sad that an individual may not be wearing blue/white or orange. The students can all cheer "YOU GUYS ARE GOOD" with making no reference to any individual's school, so that all parents in the stands can feel that their boys are the best players in the history of the game of basketball. Let's not do a 50/50 pot...except that one person who wins, everyone else is sad and have hurt feelings that they don't win. The mean referees should let players keep shooting free throws on fouls until they make one, and not count the ones that they missed. We can all applaud the made free throw and congratulate the player on the excellent efforts at not giving up during his 10 misses.

I am sure that if the above is done, some parents may be calling because if they have hearing problems and when they say Let's Go Team, it may sound like Let's Go Burg. Some parents may call Wheelersburg during the upcoming game, complaining of home court advantage, but the Burg Administration will have to be bold in the face of fear, and apologize, but say that is Northwest's own home court that they are playing at. We must be very gentle and hug each other though, maybe give some gift cards or something for their concerns.
Their you go agin. You give git cards caus you guys got so much mony? It never ends with u people!!!

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

Not trying to be offensive, but please learn to spell.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

JeepsWin wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:31 am
BurgBaskets wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am Oh boy, I can't believe Northwest parents complained about the cowboy boots!

Their you go agin. You give git cards caus you guys got so much mony? It never ends with u people!!!
Don't be racist against burg people. They came to his country the same as everyone else, in search of a dream.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Really considering taking in the Next Burg/Northwest matchup.. should be fun . in the crowd anyway

ndc soccer
Freshman Team

Post by ndc soccer »

Wouldn’t it be funny if for the remaining games, every opposing student section vs Northwest does a “Country Night”? 😂

The madness that would ensue!

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I cant wait to see if Northwest's student section dresses up, and if they do, what they choose to dress up as.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

transplant wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 am I cant wait to see if Northwest's student section dresses up, and if they do, what they choose to dress up as.
Do they even have a student section? There was not one when they played at Burg.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I don't know, but they usually at least had one for the home games. Heck, back when I played, their student section was led by one of their coaches. If I was NW, id be more concerned as to why no one travels to away games to support the team than complain about other schools kids that do show up and support the team.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

A pep section is there solely for the purpose to cheer on your team as hard and loud as you can and to get in the other teams heads as much as possible. I led the pep section when in HS and I went as far as researching the opposing teams players moms/girlfriends/sisters names just to mess with that player even more.

It’s not offensive, it’s just all in fun. We never said anything to cross any lines but we would go as far as we could. Sometimes a good pep section can be a key factor for the team and fans.

BurgBaskets
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBaskets »

Great Christmas theme in the Burg Student Section last night.

I believe that the 2018 Burg Student Section may be the BEST in the STATE this year! There are 100's of kids and they are AWESOME!!!!!!

HO HO HO

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

BurgBaskets wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:48 am Great Christmas theme in the Burg Student Section last night.

I believe that the 2018 Burg Student Section may be the BEST in the STATE this year! There are 100's of kids and they are AWESOME!!!!!!

HO HO HO
Agreed. They were on point last night. Great job Burg pep section last night. The reindeer pulling Santa was a classic one.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

transplant wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 am I cant wait to see if Northwest's student section dresses up, and if they do, what they choose to dress up as.
Brad and Chad? Sweater tied around the neck?

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

The irony is, there are probably as many farms in the wheelersburg district.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

NW97 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:54 pm The irony is, there are probably as many farms in the wheelersburg district.
Who told you they dressed up in cowboy boots to offend northwest? I’ve talked to several people that say Burg is a bunch of rich snobs. My kids go there. They ain’t rich and as far as I can tell they don’t seem to be snobbish.

Return to “Boys Basketball”