Student sections

TCat
Riding the Bench

Re: Student sections

Post by TCat »

Aren't you the same posters who justified the behavior of some of your players at Oak Hill. Some old school Wheelersburg fans chimed in that they need to get a handle on the basketball program. Not a month after the Madison stuff in football. Maybe its a community problem and their sense of entitlement?

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:30 am Yeah how dare they wear flannel and cowboy/work boots!!! The nerve of some people. Then to go completely of the rails by pretending to birth a baby during a foul shot.

They should just stick to experimenting with sex or drugs or something worse. SMH. Maybe they should just stand there and do a polite golf clap. Just kids having fun, you guys remember what that is don’t you?
It was that bad a few years ago in Logan. The students were not allowed to make any noise when the other team was warming up or when foul shot were being made on the opposing team. They were not allowed to do anything that would upset anyone. They were basically only allowed to SIT not STAND and watch the game. It was bad! When you'd see someone from the administration standing close to the students you knew someone was about to get in trouble. :roll: :roll:

AT THE RESERVATION
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Wearing ‘country clothes’ and cowboy theme is offensive? Oh, brother! After all, those clothes are in the closets of the kids who wore them in the first place!!!

When I was in school, our’s was both the best in terms of support and the worst when it came to how far we’d go in the entirety of Fairfield County. Heck, my junior year we were rebuked by the priest at St. Joseph’s parish in Sugar Grove for our actions against Berne Union - including, but not limited to: a) one of our guys parking a tractor he drove that night in the parking space closet to the school doors, b) our chant of “we don’t miss you” when one of our former classmates who then transferred to BU was at the line (he missed both), c) our rather pointed taunting and changing regarding some of the BU players’ failed relationships with our female classmates.

That, my friends, looking back probably set the bar for what constitutes “unacceptable” student section behavior!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

1987chieftains wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:16 pm It was that bad a few years ago in Logan. The students were not allowed to make any noise when the other team was warming up or when foul shot were being made on the opposing team. They were not allowed to do anything that would upset anyone. They were basically only allowed to SIT not STAND and watch the game. It was bad! When you'd see someone from the administration standing close to the students you knew someone was about to get in trouble. :roll: :roll:
It’s weird how triggered most SEOAL schools were. They were always getting on Athens. It’s a lot more fun in the TVC. Alexander and Athens always try to out do each other. Alexander still has the best set up

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Logangrad wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:43 am I wish there was a way that kids at Logan could get in free for basketball games. ANy time they have allowed this to happen they have had HUGE student sections for bigger games. I think there needs to be a way for kids who attend school in the district to get in free. I know there are a bunch of smaller school districts who allow this to happen.
Nelsonville-York students get into all athletic events free and their is no reason Logan can't do the same. It should be taken to the school board.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

New to the conversation here. I have watched Wheelersburg Basketball games for several years and I remember each year that the student section has a cowboy night, a neon night, a yuppie night, a toga night, a crazy hat night, etc. Not sure the point of this topic? Someone was mad that the kids wore cowboy clothes?

I was in Oak Hill last week and I heard their student section yelling "Overrated" and "Sidney's hot, miss that shot" (a reference to maybe a family member of one of the players), and several other comments. I laughed as I've heard banter and humor for several years trying to distract players on the court.

Again, not sure of the topic at hand. Believe it or not, I think I read that some poster in this actual topic here says a public apology is needed? Maybe it's the culture, but I think a lot of people these days have lost their minds and do not remember what all of us used to do back when we were in school LOL!

Hopefully tomorrow night's game has a neon student section! I love those bright colors!!!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:44 pm
1987chieftains wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:16 pm It was that bad a few years ago in Logan. The students were not allowed to make any noise when the other team was warming up or when foul shot were being made on the opposing team. They were not allowed to do anything that would upset anyone. They were basically only allowed to SIT not STAND and watch the game. It was bad! When you'd see someone from the administration standing close to the students you knew someone was about to get in trouble. :roll: :roll:
It’s weird how triggered most SEOAL schools were. They were always getting on Athens. It’s a lot more fun in the TVC. Alexander and Athens always try to out do each other. Alexander still has the best set up
The kids at Alex put some time and effort into what they do from game to game.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

This type of stuff has been going on for years. Has any one watched a Duke game lately? They do "theme" nights too, does anyone get upset at them? No, they are considered one of the top student sections in the nation. I hate when feelings get hurt and people over react, its going to make the students not want to come and support the teams anymore. I think its great that burg still has students come to the games and watch the game and get involved. Most high school kids either don't go to the games or they go and just socialize.

langra
Riding the Bench

Post by langra »

Burg has been doing themes for years. SMH

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TCat wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 pm Aren't you the same posters who justified the behavior of some of your players at Oak Hill. Some old school Wheelersburg fans chimed in that they need to get a handle on the basketball program. Not a month after the Madison stuff in football. Maybe its a community problem and their sense of entitlement?
What do you mean on the Madison football stuff? Shed some light on that. It amazes me that people use that word entitlement against Burg when people outside call them out on everything. That's not entitlement.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

TCat = snowflake

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:52 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:44 pm
The kids at Alex put some time and effort into what they do from game to game.
I get a kick out of watching kids do that kind of stuff.

AT THE RESERVATION
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

If anyone has reason to be upset over a student section it’s us after Friday’s game and we’re not. I think it’s great when the kids/community come together to cheer for (or against) something. Let the kids be kids and have fun, they only get to do this once.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Yep!

AT THE RESERVATION
sticks
Waterboy

Post by sticks »

Snowflakes

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

I was at this particular Wheelersburg game that some people on here are talking about. There was nothing wrong in the student section. I think it's just a few people who are over- sensitive that they lost by 50 some points. I look forward to going to Northwest to see their student section as well. Kids enjoying the game and their HS experience.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I would venture to say that if you were offended by the chants and antics of the student section against Northwest then you probably should not attend the game tomorrow night against Waverly...or at least wear your bubble wrap and ear muffs. I thought the chants from the Oak Hill student section were funny...”where’s your mic at” and “Here we go Johnnies”....grow some thick skin or stay home would be my suggestion

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Here we go Johnnies was hilarious... gotta give props to a good chant!!!

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

It’s insane that grown adults are crying over a student section. That’s literally part of the Hugh school experience. I remember when I was in high school at Portsmouth and Warren came to down and were chanting “Little Bill” every time one of our players touched the ball (he was African American), yet there was no bad blood, no Facebook post. I bet the farming community sure is upset a bunch of teenagers from that mean town of Wheelersburg wore flannels and boots. Absolutely ridiculous, if they are cussing fine, being racist fine, doing obsene gestures fine, but give me a break.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Isn’t these the things that made rivalries and that really made sports fun. Yea you can cross a line and show no class it happens occasionally but not real often.

But usually must of the real offensive stuff or people being out of control is parents. I remember a game. That this student section was all over this kid. And the entire really crowd got into it. The kid they were riding was a little bit of a clown or show off anyway. He had no pros with it. His dad and uncle come out of the stands ready to try to whip everyone and got thrown out.

That was way more embarrassing for the boy then anything a student body chanted

Return to “Boys Basketball”