12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: 12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 am I have called 26 games and 4 scrimmages so far this season.

We have had 2 total technicals.

I am aware of 8 being called in 3 Wheelersburg games.

It is not an epidemic.
It is when teams play the Burg. I am not defending the actions of Burg players here. They taunt, then T them up, but I've watched three games now of Burgs, and the two that were the tougher games, Waverly and Oak Hill, I witnessed blatant shoves in the backs, "mouthing" which is taunting by the way. I saw elbows, intentional fouls, and fans with some pretty lewd comments by the other team. No one is going to convince me that the other teams are angels when I have seen it myself. The fact is Burg is hated by every team in the county. From that stems more emotions. Look what happened with the cheer block during northwest, blown way out of proportion. Until I witness a game where Burg is the only one talking trash, then other fans have no room to talk.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Pirate84 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:26 am Had a bird's eye view of this one. So it was the refs that lost control of game? Laughable. Where's the blame for the coaches on this one. Players reacting to calls on both sides, almost every call. Fouls were called equally all night on both sides. 1st half foul Tot: 8/8 Second Half: 10/9. Included in this total was 4 T's which were 2/2. Players did get taken out after T's but what could Waverly coach think was gonna happen to him as he stormed the court was being held back by 3 assistants screaming & pointing at a ref. I can't believe he didn't get ejected!! T's can be huge momentum swings, Burg got 2 ( rightfully so) & game swung from 15 pt lead to back under 5. Coach losing his cool in a 4pt gm isn't Refs fault. Watched these refs many times & am sure I'll see them many more especially come tourney time. Quit complaining about officiating, start complaining about the state of the game where is is acceptable in communities to act like "NBA" players & coaches in the HS setting. Everyone needs to "own it" that this is not acceptable & hope that sportsmanship makes a swift return HS athletics
This is correct about Waverly coach. He was being restrained by his assistant coaches and wouldn't stop. The official even looked at him as if to stop or it was coming. The sad thing the emotions got the best of Waverly's coach and he was still in the game. He quit coaching after that. By the way, SOC games are assigned. Burg has no control of Varsity officials.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:33 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 am I have called 26 games and 4 scrimmages so far this season.

It is not an epidemic.
It is when teams play the Burg. I am not defending the actions of Burg players here. They taunt, then T them up, but I've watched three games now of Burgs, and the two that were the tougher games, Waverly and Oak Hill, I witnessed blatant shoves in the backs, "mouthing" which is taunting by the way. I saw elbows, intentional fouls, and fans with some pretty lewd comments by the other team. No one is going to convince me that the other teams are angels when I have seen it myself. The fact is Burg is hated by every team in the county. From that stems more emotions. Look what happened with the cheer block during northwest, blown way out of proportion. Until I witness a game where Burg is the only one talking trash, then other fans have no room to talk.
We can just agree to disagree.

I get that teams give Wheelersburg their best shot and get "jacked up" to play them. But the common denominator is Wheelersburg Basketball. Facts are that two Wheelersburg players each have 2 T's and the season is 4 games old.

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

I saw the Waverly Coach seem to mouth some stuff to Ater. Did anyone else see that? It reminded me of when Norm in Oak Hill went after Ater in that game.

The Waverly Coach also was jawing to referees about the Burg Student Section during the game. IMHO, if opposing Coaches/Fans are distracted by the student section, than the student section is doing something right. A GREAT 6th MAN!!!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I agree that the coaches and players shouldn't worry about the student section unless they are DRASTICALLY crossing the line and saying things that are extremely inappropriate. Haven't seen anyone on here say that they were crossing any lines, so the student section shouldn't be a cause of concern in this situation.

Waverly's coach has a tendency to lose his cool, but he is also quick to defend his kids. I wasn't there so I can't speak for his actions, but if it was a close game then he definitely should have kept his cool a little better.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

One Wheelersburg fan on here big enough to see it and call it what it is.... The rest are looking through their rose colored glasses.
I’m not talking about “talking”, “jawing” which a lot of that went on, I’m talking about the constant “TAUNTING” as another poster mentioned, standing over a Waverly player staring him down when he was on the floor, in a kids face holding onto the ball after a made basket, etc, etc. Did Waverly start jawing after a while, sure - that crew wasnt doing anything to stop Burg kids from doing it. That crew set the tone for what they would allow and it was ridiculous.
Wheelersburg will win the SOC as they should, far superior basketball team - NO NEED FOR THE NONSENSE!!!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:47 am

It is not an epidemic.

I get that teams give Wheelersburg their best shot and get "jacked up" to play them. But the common denominator is Wheelersburg Basketball. Facts are that two Wheelersburg players each have 2 T's and the season is 4 games old.
I can understand other fans not seeing that way but one of those T's was a questionable hanging on the Rim by Holden after a dunk, not a taunt after a dunk. Again, I believe that both sides are talking during these heated matchups. Waverly got two technicals last night. So does that mean Waverly is the same as Burg?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

smurray wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 am One Wheelersburg fan on here big enough to see it and call it what it is.... The rest are looking through their rose colored glasses.
I’m not talking about “talking”, “jawing” which a lot of that went on, I’m talking about the constant “TAUNTING” as another poster mentioned, standing over a Waverly player staring him down when he was on the floor, in a kids face holding onto the ball after a made basket, etc, etc. Did Waverly start jawing after a while, sure - that crew wasnt doing anything to stop Burg kids from doing it. That crew set the tone for what they would allow and it was ridiculous.
Wheelersburg will win the SOC as they should, far superior basketball team - NO NEED FOR THE NONSENSE!!!!
And Waverly Fans not calling out their own problems. Waverly fans cussing in stands, coach being restrained. Call out your own before ranting about Burg. I agree with every technical Burg has got this year but I'm just not going to let other teams and their fans think they are so above the Burg in sportsmanship, when I witness it with my own eyes.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Aside from all the nonsense, Waverly is an offensive player away from being really good. Very athletic and quick, I am surprised they lost against Webster.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:09 am

I can understand other fans not seeing that way but one of those T's was a questionable hanging on the Rim by Holden after a dunk, not a taunt after a dunk. Again, I believe that both sides are talking during these heated matchups. Waverly got two technicals last night. So does that mean Waverly is the same as Burg?
I guess the question then is how many T's in other games does Waverly have and how many does Oak Hill have?

Anyone know?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:12 am
smurray wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 am One Wheelersburg fan on here big enough to see it and call it what it is.... The rest are looking through their rose colored glasses.
And Waverly Fans not calling out their own problems. Waverly fans cussing in stands, coach being restrained. Call out your own before ranting about Burg. I agree with every technical Burg has got this year but I'm just not going to let other teams and their fans think they are so above the Burg in sportsmanship, when I witness it with my own eyes.
NO NEED FOR THE TAUNTING NONSENSE!!!!
You have a good, if not great team. Play ball and forget the nonsense!
It didn't start with Waverly taunting Wheelersburg.
I never said Waverly coach didn't deserve a T.
I said the officiating crew allowed it to happen from the start and never got it under control until is exploded.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:36 am
wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:09 am

I guess the question then is how many T's in other games does Waverly have and how many does Oak Hill have?

Anyone know?
As far as I can remember that's Waverly's first T's. And they have been in some heated games (Athens & South Webster).
Its not about heated games, totally different.....

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

While there was nothing flagrant or anything like that, I think the tensions got high early by all of the fouling of Holden by Waverly. Waverly had 3 different guys guarding Holden in the first quarter and each of them picked up 2 fouls. So the tone early was that they were going to foul him every time he was in a scoring position.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Listened to the entire game on the radio last night. The radio commentators are located on the Away side and you could clearly hear multiple fans cussing and screaming throughout the game. The radio announcers kept apologizing for the "inappropriate" background noise.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I say the over/under on Holdens technical fouls this season will be 15. Great player, but he really needs to just play and keep his mouth shut.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 am
Listened to the entire game on the radio last night. The radio commentators are located on the Away side and you could clearly hear multiple fans cussing and screaming throughout the game. The radio announcers kept apologizing for the "inappropriate" background noise.
Exactly. The atmosphere just encouraged the players on the court and the refs lost control of the game. Very competitive rivalry game with a loud and jawing fanbase. Recipe for disaster. Doesn't happen against non-rivals or in less competitive games. Both teams competed very aggressively. Can't wait for the rematch at Waverly :evil: GO BURG

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:17 am Aside from all the nonsense, Waverly is an offensive player away from being really good. Very athletic and quick, I am surprised they lost against Webster.
I agree. Very athletic and quick. Sometimes it looked like they were going a little too fast to finish around the basket. A consistent scorer needs to emerge on this team.

BurgBuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by BurgBuckeye »

BurgBaskets wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:42 am I wish that all the players were Mic'd up so we can hear what's being said on every play. Tons of talking last night on both sides, and tons of pushing rough on both sides, but referees were pretty poor both ways and lost control. It was only a 5 point game i believe when Waverly coach lost his mind and got T'd up.

My favorite part was when Santa was walking his reindeer under the Waverly basket during a free throw. Another favorite part was when a couple Waverly women were losing their mind screaming on every play. Glad they weren't Mic'd up.

GO BURG!
I was near them. They were funny. :lol:

Really mature adults talking about holden before the game even started, got on the football play stealing BS and wouldn't let the recruiting talk go. Then bashed our band and called our cheerleader names I cant repeat on here. It was 3 women and 1 dude. I got a kick out of them. really represented waverly in an upstanding way..... I hope they feel better today. :lol:

GO BUCKEYES!
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I was at this game and .not going to comment on the technical s or trash talk because most burg people seem to see what the problem is.

As far as Waverly coach saying something to the refs about burg student section ,he was complaining about them grabbing ,kicking etc the basketball after burgs made shots ,I was sitting right behind wavery bench , I did not see it but that is what he was complaining about.

By the way burg does have one of the best student sections I'm.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Here is the foul on Peyton. As you can see Peyton was on the ground and the Burg player jumped on top of Peyton causing his head to get smashed on the floor and a foul called on Peyton. the only reaction I could see from him, and I was right behind the Waverly Bench was Peyton taking his hand going to his face thinking there was blood. Please do not think I'm saying the Burg player jumped on top of Peyton on purpose, I'm not he was going for the ball, but maybe Peyton mumbled something because of the hit he took and the ref overreacted, but this caused the mess with the Waverly "T's". No other play even got a warning or a anything from Waverly.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.

Return to “Boys Basketball”