12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

rxburgfan
All State

Re: 12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Post by rxburgfan »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:16 pm I've always said over the years that I admire the Burg for there " Refuse to lose Attitude ", not only there athletes but there Community as well. I really would like to know, that if Tom Barrick were still the Basketball coach, would some of the things that are being discussed that are going on, would still be happening? I will also say that while in school, I played 3 Sports against the Burg, and cannot believe some of the things that I'm reading.
They would still be occurring but the team would be boring as heck to watch. Mr limit other teams possessions was brutal to sit and watch as a fan.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:24 pm
VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:16 pm I've always said over the years that I admire the Burg for there " Refuse to lose Attitude ", not only there athletes but there Community as well. I really would like to know, that if Tom Barrick were still the Basketball coach, would some of the things that are being discussed that are going on, would still be happening? I will also say that while in school, I played 3 Sports against the Burg, and cannot believe some of the things that I'm reading.
I might also add that I know nothing at all about the Burgs coach. I was just recently told that he had played for Oak Hills coach Persin while Persin was the coach at Chesapeake.
I will ask again that if Tom Barrick was still the basketball coach at Wheelersburg, would some of the things that are being discussed, the talking, the taunting, the technical, would they still be an issue? I don't even know why he isn't the coach at Burg now, just know that he is the coach at Pike Eastern, and was told that he coached at Wheelersburg for a number of years. I wasn't living around here during those years, and I'm just wondering?

ballplayer1992
Freshman Team

Post by ballplayer1992 »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:20 pm
I might also add that I know nothing at all about the Burgs coach. I was just recently told that he had played for Oak Hills coach Persin while Persin was the coach at Chesapeake.
I will ask again that if Tom Barrick was still the basketball coach at Wheelersburg, would some of the things that are being discussed, the talking, the taunting, the technical, would they still be an issue? I don't even know why he isn't the coach at Burg now, just know that he is the coach at Pike Eastern, and was told that he coached at Wheelersburg for a number of years. I wasn't living around here during those years, and I'm just wondering?
I honestly am not sure if this behavior would be occurring under Coach Barrick or not, but if I had to bet my answer would be "no." I want to start by saying that I am a big fan of Coach Barrick, as he was the basketball coach when I was in school. He had a system in place and he was very successful with it. Many players bought in and believed in his style and some did not. We did lose some quality basketball players to other schools under his tenure, Tim Kochendoerfer transferring to Ironton comes to mind. I am also a big fan of Coach Ater. The bottom line is that Barrick and Ater are different men with different approaches to coaching. Personally, I like both coaches a lot and hope both are successful. For me however, the taunting issue comes down to a lot more than who is holding the reins of the program. Kids have always tried to emulate their favorite athletes. For example, when Randy Moss makes a distasteful gesture toward opposing fans like he did at Lambeau Field, should we really be outraged or surprised if high school athletes engage in some form of taunting?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

ballplayer1992 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:49 am
VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:20 pm

I honestly am not sure if this behavior would be occurring under Coach Barrick or not, but if I had to bet my answer would be "no." I want to start by saying that I am a big fan of Coach Barrick, as he was the basketball coach when I was in school. He had a system in place and he was very successful with it. Many players bought in and believed in his style and some did not. We did lose some quality basketball players to other schools under his tenure, Tim Kochendoerfer transferring to Ironton comes to mind. I am also a big fan of Coach Ater. The bottom line is that Barrick and Ater are different men with different approaches to coaching. Personally, I like both coaches a lot and hope both are successful. For me however, the taunting issue comes down to a lot more than who is holding the reins of the program. Kids have always tried to emulate their favorite athletes. For example, when Randy Moss makes a distasteful gesture toward opposing fans like he did at Lambeau Field, should we really be outraged or surprised if high school athletes engage in some form of taunting?
Thank you for your response!

Return to “Boys Basketball”