12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

HamPorter
All Conference

Re: 12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Post by HamPorter »

Give me the Pirates. But, if they can’t handle the Waverly pressure and lose track of Robertson, it could be a really tough game for them.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It’s at Burg so Burg by 10

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:49 am
Ukfanatic wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:56 am Bbjunky. Just curious after reading many of your posts. Who are you a fan of? Must be one of Waverlys rivals! Waverly averaging 60 points a game. Not too shabby. I know you think Trey Robertson is the only basketball player Waverly has, but on any given night Wolfe, Remington, Smallwood, Marquez, and Dunn can get you 15 or more.
I'm a fan of basketball! I'm not anti-Waverly by any means, their kids always play very hard. I enjoy watching them compete. But, from an unbiased point of view and after seeing both teams, Burg is the clear favorite here.

Until Waverly can find a way to score more consistently in the half court, they're going to struggle against better teams. Their pressure alone will hurt many teams and Waverly will be able to score in the full court when doing so. However, when facing teams that can handle the pressure, Waverly MUST find ways to consistently score in the half court. They have good coaches on staff, I think they'll continue to improve throughout the season and potentially even make a run at the district title. But right now, they're just not there yet.
From what I seen of Waverly I would agree with this assessment, this early in the season offensively they're just not ready for this game at least from what I seen. Waverly was able to play pretty freely in the game I seen, but if the refs call it close they could get into foul trouble. They've got some guys who come off the bench that while they're good on defense just don't add anything offensively. We'll see what happens but this early in the year, I don't believe that Waverly can score the points needed to win this game in a half court set and I think Burg can handle the pressure better than most. Good Luck to both teams, Burg by 12

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Waverly might keep it close for a half because they are pretty athletic. But I think Burg pulls away in the second half. Should be a good game though.

sticks
Waterboy

Post by sticks »

Refresh my memory. How long has Robertson been the coach?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

sticks wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 pm Refresh my memory. How long has Robertson been the coach?
I believe his first year as the head coach would have been 07/08 season.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Wheelersburg 15+ pt win. As soon as Wheelersburg adjusts to Waverly’s Press, they will stretch it out. Waverly plays extremely hard but they do not have enough offense to keep up with Wheelersburg. Wheelersburg with two D-I talents (Holden & Truitt), have too much offense for most teams to keep up with!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:08 pm Wheelersburg 15+ pt win. As soon as Wheelersburg adjusts to Waverly’s Press, they will stretch it out. Waverly plays extremely hard but they do not have enough offense to keep up with Wheelersburg. Wheelersburg with two D-I talents (Holden & Truitt), have too much offense for most teams to keep up with!
Truitt is a very good SE Ohio player. Truitt is also most definitely not a D1 player.

D2 at the very best but that, too, would surprise me.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:21 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:08 pm Wheelersburg 15+ pt win. As soon as Wheelersburg adjusts to Waverly’s Press, they will stretch it out. Waverly plays extremely hard but they do not have enough offense to keep up with Wheelersburg. Wheelersburg with two D-I talents (Holden & Truitt), have too much offense for most teams to keep up with!
Truitt is a very good SE Ohio player. Truitt is also most definitely not a D1 player.

D2 at the very best but that, too, would surprise me.
Seriously!!! He is only a Sophomore so he has plenty of time to improve

You need to let it go that he left South Webster

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

That makes sense. Bbjunky is a Webster fan. I agree on Truitt. Especially if he is not done growing. At 6 8 I could definitely see him be D1. Even if he doesn’t grow any more he will get some interest. Plenty of time for him to improve. Waverly has a couple of D1 athletes on their side. Wolfe getting looks in football. Remington getting offers in track. Robertson potentially would n basketball down the road.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Can’t see Truitt growing anymore than another inch

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Truitt is no way a D-1 athlete. Very good for southern Ohio but he’s D-2 at best and that may even be a stretch. At this point he’s almost a tweener... to short to play post and not fast enough or his ballhandling is what it should be to play D1. That’s just my take on the few times I’ve watched him play but I wish him all the luck.

Gooaks
Waterboy

Post by Gooaks »

SOC94 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:58 pm Truitt is no way a D-1 athlete. Very good for southern Ohio but he’s D-2 at best and that may even be a stretch. At this point he’s almost a tweener... to short to play post and not fast enough or his ballhandling is what it should be to play D1. That’s just my take on the few times I’ve watched him play but I wish him all the luck.
Yea idk were burg people come up with that. Hes a good player but hes a what 6" 4 stretch 4? Lol. He can shoot ok, not a great athlete, not a great ball handler. Hes just a good overall player but nothing ab him stands out were u think hes a d1 player

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

So you all think he has no chance to work his tail off the next 2.5 years, play hard in AAU and play D-1 somewhere.

Never say never!!!

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Burg shooting free throws at good percentage. Much better than last season thus far. Should be fun one to watch.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 pm So you all think he has no chance to work his tail off the next 2.5 years, play hard in AAU and play D-1 somewhere.

Never say never!!!
There’s always a chance. If by some miracle he goes from 6’2-6’3ish to 6’8 plus in that time frame then I’d say yes but from what I’ve saw personally... I wouldn’t hold my breathe and that’s no knock on the kid that’s just being a realist which a lot of ppl on here are not.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 pm So you all think he has no chance to work his tail off the next 2.5 years, play hard in AAU and play D-1 somewhere.

Never say never!!!
Too much time to determine what his peak will be, but his game reminds me a lot of Drew Spradlin who ended up having a good career at Elon.....

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

This thread only furthers my belief that the casual fan has absolutely NO clue what it takes to be a Division 1 player.

Here's an example for you... Drew Scarberry was a legit 6'6", graduated a few years ago from Northwest. Pretty good shooter, could finish above the rim with ease. VERY good player for our area, even though his team wasn't the best. The highest offer he received? NCAA D2 Notre Dame College, who just a few years ago jumped from NAIA to D2.

How about the Van Horn kid last year from Fairland? Legit 6'8," was by far one of the best prospects in the area. Ended up at D2 Cedarville.

How about the most recent Justice boy from Peebles? BY FAR the best scorer we've seen around here in a while.... Ended up at D2 Valdosta State.

Look, I hope the kids finds a way. But some of you guys need to chill out with these expectations. Just look back the last 15-20 years and name ALL players from SE Ohio who went on to play D1 basketball. Then, look at what aspects of their game they were great at and most importantly, their size.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 am

Never say never!!!
Too much time to determine what his peak will be, but his game reminds me a lot of Drew Spradlin who ended up having a good career at Elon.....
While I absolutely do understand the comparison in playing styles, Drew Spradlin was also a legit 6'6". Truitt is around 6'2" or 6'3" tops, regardless of what the program lists or regardless of what some posters say he looks like.

I hope the burg folk wouldn't think I'm coming across as negative, because I genuinely want the kid to succeed. Heck, I wish all talented players in our area would get D1 opportunities. But unfortunately you have to be elite at something AND have size that appeals to coaches at that level. Not to mention quickness, the game is so much faster at the next level. For example, look how quick Harvest Prep looked against Burg last year. As of last summer, not a single one of Harvest Prep's players had D1 offers........... Not one. Two different players did have D2 offers, though.

Here's some statistics:

- There are 351 Division 1 college basketball schools.
- There are 13 scholarships available for each D1 school.
- That makes exactly 4,563 Division 1 scholarships available in the United States.
- A study I found states that roughly 551,000 boys played high school basketball last year in the United States.
- That means D1 scholarships will only go to less than 1% of all boys nationwide playing.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:47 am This thread only furthers my belief that the casual fan has absolutely NO clue what it takes to be a Division 1 player.

Here's an example for you... Drew Scarberry was a legit 6'6", graduated a few years ago from Northwest. Pretty good shooter, could finish above the rim with ease. VERY good player for our area, even though his team wasn't the best. The highest offer he received? NCAA D2 Notre Dame College, who just a few years ago jumped from NAIA to D2.

How about the Van Horn kid last year from Fairland? Legit 6'8," was by far one of the best prospects in the area. Ended up at D2 Cedarville.

How about the most recent Justice boy from Peebles? BY FAR the best scorer we've seen around here in a while.... Ended up at D2 Valdosta State.

Look, I hope the kids finds a way. But some of you guys need to chill out with these expectations. Just look back the last 15-20 years and name ALL players from SE Ohio who went on to play D1 basketball. Then, look at what aspects of their game they were great at and most importantly, their size.
D1 players I know.
Dante Jackson Greenfield - Xaiver
Jake Kretzer Waverly - Akron
Dylan Swingle - Paint Valley - Duquesne

But I agree with all you have said.
If Justice was taller with the same ability, Lottery Pick.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.

Return to “Boys Basketball”