VC 38
Final

Whynot
Waterboy

Re: Vinton County (1-1) at Athens (2-2)

Post by Whynot »

Amock0905 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:17 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 pm
Amock0905 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:31 pm Everyone is saying 12-15, I’ll be the one to say it no team will beat vinton county by more than 10 this year, with maybe the exception of Logan, vinton county has to get out and turn this into a full court game and run the court very small this year compared to last year, but this team is tough and can play defense, held kearns from Alexander scoreless in the 2nd half last week and had a chance to win after being down 16, if Athens leads that can’t slow down or vinton county will be right back in it no quit in this years team
No one from Athens thinks we were going to win by a lot. It's always a close game

Vinton 24
Athens 18
Halftime
Not you but a few people have said it on this thread, Athens VC is always tough, currently listening on radio seems like Athens is getting away with a lot of travels and VC a lot of touch fouls not called
Did you just complain about the officiating from 30 miles away?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Must win by Athens and beating VC is always a good win.

Sounds like a great showing from VC, I can’t fathom that surprises anyone. Look for VC to continue to improve throughout the season and be THE team no one wants to play in the tournament.

Between the Lines
Freshman Team

Post by Between the Lines »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:39 pm Must win by Athens and beating VC is always a good win.

Sounds like a great showing from VC, I can’t fathom that surprises anyone. Look for VC to continue to improve throughout the season and be THE team no one wants to play in the tournament.
I watched this game tonight and for sure VC can play very sound at times. Yes, they will be a team nobody wants at tournament time.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Super proud of the Vikings and their coaching staff last night. This is a team of inexperienced players and they found a way to battle a veteran group in Athens. VC will get more experienced each and every game and it will show later on in the year. The schedule doesn’t get any easier though. A solid Meigs team comes to McArthur on Tuesday followed by a trip to 4-1 NY on Friday. Then the likes of Zane Trace and Jackson. The schedule is tough for the Vikings but I’m sure they wouldn’t want it any other way. Proud of the fight!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dundas wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:47 am Super proud of the Vikings and their coaching staff last night. This is a team of inexperienced players and they found a way to battle a veteran group in Athens. VC will get more experienced each and every game and it will show later on in the year. The schedule doesn’t get any easier though. A solid Meigs team comes to McArthur on Tuesday followed by a trip to 4-1 NY on Friday. Then the likes of Zane Trace and Jackson. The schedule is tough for the Vikings but I’m sure they wouldn’t want it any other way. Proud of the fight!
Where was the Wellston/NY game...NY only beat Wellston by 2. I think the VC vs Meigs could’ve an interesting matchup but my money is on the Vikings

Zane Trace could be a tough matchup

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Dundas wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:47 am Super proud of the Vikings and their coaching staff last night. This is a team of inexperienced players and they found a way to battle a veteran group in Athens. VC will get more experienced each and every game and it will show later on in the year. The schedule doesn’t get any easier though. A solid Meigs team comes to McArthur on Tuesday followed by a trip to 4-1 NY on Friday. Then the likes of Zane Trace and Jackson. The schedule is tough for the Vikings but I’m sure they wouldn’t want it any other way. Proud of the fight!
... I agree Dundas, as a coach even with a young (varsity game experience wise) team you WANT those kids to see everything ! see the physicality of an Athens team, experience the relentless pounding on the boards of a Jackson team, with the 3 headed monster offensive monster of Wallis/Cooper Donaldson/Treylan Davis ... Zane Trace brings Cam Evans - a punishing scoring machine of a guard in the paint to go with size/athletic ability in the ZT surrounding cast AND they play D ! ... I will always shade my rankings/looking at teams based on STARTING with the coaching staff ! - I have been around SEOhio hoops long enough to know what the 'coaching staffs" do in developing their kids, their programs ... Coach Combs, Coach Kight, Coach Albright, Coach Carpenter - the VC brain trust - they do it as well as , better than anyone ... these VC kids, playing the schedule they have WILL LEARN how to play the game ... Coach Combs' & Co. TEACH the game ... kids/players grow into better players physically on the players schedule - that coaches have no control over but the mental game, knowledge of what to do, how to it THAT can be learned , practiced and when the players grow physically into where the knowledge & physical game come together = winning ... when I rank the teams last night's 3 point loss to Athens AT Athens ... imo is a win for the team - that's how I will look at it come Sunday - VC doesn' t lose ground in the rankings with that performance ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”