Newt Oliver Classic at Rio this weekend ...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Newt Oliver Classic at Rio this weekend ...

Post by VetteMan »

I really don't know. Mayby he gets to sit next to French on the bench? Lol That's just the way it was printed on the program. It also showed 3 Assistant Coachs and 1 Student Assistant.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Your explanation is similar to what I was thinking.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I had someone tell me that Rio's Jv has 2 boys from Vinton County on it. He said his son is one of them, says that they might practice once a week--that the varsity coach has no contact with them and that they have a couple of local kids (carroll boy from Oak Hill)could get better if they had someone work with them. I guess its sad that they seem like they don't want any local kids--seem like they would want them to draw more crowds to watch. The girls team is awesome--have a lot of local girls- Can't believe the Mens Coach is still there--since he has a poor record compared to the ladys team.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I did a little digging. Had to do some math because the University's website does not list his record over his tenure there. It does mention how well they did while he was an assistant for Earl Thomas.

Ken French is in his 14th season as head coach.
Overall record of 162-244
39.9% win percentage
4 winning seasons

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Fonzie wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:50 am I did a little digging. Had to do some math because the University's website does not list his record over his tenure there. It does mention how well they did while he was an assistant for Earl Thomas.

39.9% win percentage
4 winning seasons
That’s pretty bad. If that was at the high school level or even other colleges, parents would be wanting him out.

However, keep in mind that the AD, Lanham, was also an assistant with French under Coach Thomas. The chances of him leading a push to get French out is slim to none.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:01 pm
Fonzie wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:50 am I did a little digging. Had to do some math because the University's website does not list his record over his tenure there. It does mention how well they did while he was an assistant for Earl Thomas.

39.9% win percentage
4 winning seasons
That’s pretty bad. If that was at the high school level or even other colleges, parents would be wanting him out.

However, keep in mind that the AD, Lanham, was also an assistant with French under Coach Thomas. The chances of him leading a push to get French out is slim to none.
I am in no way calling for him to be fired (however if someone did, it would be justified), but in an earlier post I said I'd be curious to find out his record, so rather than waiting for someone else, I went for it.

The other factor involved is the money raised at his Hard Work Camp. I am sure there is some incentive to keep him simply for that reason.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I agree--he had also had another boy last yr from VC--Tristin Bartoe signed at rio--then was asked to sit out to red shirt---there is no way he could not have played at Rio---not saying he would start but--not good enough to be on the roster???? If that is true--no wonder kids don't want to play for him. I also went to the Rio web site--he was to have 10 returning players this yr--only 5 came back--that should answer a few questions.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Fonzie wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 pm

39.9% win percentage
4 winning seasons

I am in no way calling for him to be fired (however if someone did, it would be justified), but in an earlier post I said I'd be curious to find out his record, so rather than waiting for someone else, I went for it.

The other factor involved is the money raised at his Hard Work Camp. I am sure there is some incentive to keep him simply for that reason.
I would say you are correct. They typically charge around $350 per kid, and can get upwards towards 350 kids signed up. That’s $122,500. Granted, numerous expenses for lodging, food, and other items needed for the kids, but it is undoubtedly a huge money maker.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Things are def different under French. I actually played JV years ago at Rio when Thomas was still the head coach and French was an assistant. I played for current Jackson principal Thad Haines. We practiced every day and had a full schedule of games. We even ran scout team for the Varsity. When Thomas was there, he had some local talent. Nathan Copas, Jerry Barlow, a Simpson kid from Reedsville eastern I think? to name a few. Thomas was very strict and wanted things a certain way. But after French took over, seems like things really went down hill. He would recruit a lot of kids that were never able to get eligible. I know he does really well with the "hard work camp" but I don't think that would be more important than winning ball games.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Looks as if he does not to work/make his team better--by working with what he has--sad because I know if he had a few local players from Se ohio---they would have a better following--thus make it easier to recruit. The ladys have been ranked for the last few years--you would think maybe some peer pressure might work???

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 pm
Fonzie wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 pm

I would say you are correct. They typically charge around $350 per kid, and can get upwards towards 350 kids signed up. That’s $122,500. Granted, numerous expenses for lodging, food, and other items needed for the kids, but it is undoubtedly a huge money maker.
I would be willing to bet he has sponsors for every bit of expense he will have. By the time the first kid walks through the doors, I bet everything is pure profit.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

transplant wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 pm Things are def different under French. I actually played JV years ago at Rio when Thomas was still the head coach and French was an assistant. I played for current Jackson principal Thad Haines. We practiced every day and had a full schedule of games. We even ran scout team for the Varsity. When Thomas was there, he had some local talent. Nathan Copas, Jerry Barlow, a Simpson kid from Reedsville eastern I think? to name a few. Thomas was very strict and wanted things a certain way. But after French took over, seems like things really went down hill. He would recruit a lot of kids that were never able to get eligible. I know he does really well with the "hard work camp" but I don't think that would be more important than winning ball games.

Just looking at the numbers, something must be more important that actually winning games...

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I helped coach at the camp one year. All coaches stayed in the dorms and ate 3 meals a day there. He paid them as well, it wasn't much, but still paid them. But as long as he is bringing in money for the school, putting together a competitive team doesn't matter. It's sad its that way, but then again it is a business, so as long as he is making money then his boss is happy I guess.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

and yes, looking at the numbers, it looks like it is more important Fonzie. I think as a coach, id be changing some things if I only had 3-4 winning seasons in a 13 year span.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

transplant wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:49 pm and yes, looking at the numbers, it looks like it is more important Fonzie. I think as a coach, id be changing some things if I only had 3-4 winning seasons in a 13 year span.
Sounds like he is running that program like a JUCO

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Stryker
Riding the Bench

Post by Stryker »

vcgrad wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 pm Looks as if he does not to work/make his team better--by working with what he has--sad because I know if he had a few local players from Se ohio---they would have a better following--thus make it easier to recruit. The ladys have been ranked for the last few years--you would think maybe some peer pressure might work???
Website shows Gunner Short- Trey Kelley and Bobby Anderson.... pretty sure all 3 are local kids.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

But they don't promote these kids at all--still think they can get enough kids from SE ohio ---if you going to be bad--why not use the local talent. I seen on their roster 3 or 4 kids from outside the country--makes no sense--and it looks like these kids don't even play much or at all.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

To some extent, I believe Coach French has forgot the identity of the school. He attempts to manage his team as if it were a D1 school. That is an admirable goal, but unfortunately, Rio will never be at the level. Stop recruiting kids that don't fit a system that would work in your conference. He doesn't like street ball tactics on his team, yet recruits 80% of his team that are street ball type players. His best teams happened when he had a good post player, good guards, and some great perimeter shooters. Those teams could push a fast break and get layups, or that could run a half court set that developed into a good shot. But too many of his teams have been centered around one guy that dribbles all over the floor and throws up terrible shots.

I personally believe Coach French would be one of the best assistant coaches a head coach could want. I believe he is a marketing genius. He is organized. He is loyal to his program. However, I think 99% of the time, his teams lose because of poor recruiting, or they simply get out coached during the game.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I agree--well said.

Return to “Boys Basketball”