Newt Oliver Classic at Rio this weekend ...

SOC94
Freshman Team

Re: Newt Oliver Classic at Rio this weekend ...

Post by SOC94 »

Meigs has no chance in that game. You’re lucky the refs kept you in the game. Oaks should have won by 30+. Thanks for the laugh though.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

SOC94 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:32 pm Meigs has no chance in that game. You’re lucky the refs kept you in the game. Oaks should have won by 30+. Thanks for the laugh though.
If the Darby kid from Oak Hill had not picked up 2 fouls early, and sat out close to a quarter, I would say that Oak Hill would probably have won by a larger margin. Meigs had no answer for Hammond 21pts, Darby 16 pts, Hanning 12 pts, and Potter 10 pts. Like I said Baer for Meigs is a very good ball player and had around 24-25 pts himself.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Totally agree Vette. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the game of basketball. Enjoy your opinions.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Baer is a heck of a player as well. Like his ball handling and his jump shot.

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:31 pm
MarauderMadness wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:33 pm
SOC94 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:02 pm Oaks won 70-55... refs were beyond terrible
No doubt. We win by 10 if this game was played at rock springs.
Not a fan of either team, just wanted to see a day of basketball. You must have watched a different game than I did. Meigs not a threat at all in this game. I knew that Weston Baer was a very good player from watching him last year, and he proved it again today. Not saying anything about the coaching, but Oak Hill beat Meigs full court press all day long for lay up after lay up.
Our coach is just getting his sea legs under him. He should probably run a little more 1-3-1 yo help us defensively. Rumor was we almost had Howies son coaching us. Wish we would have hired him. That would have been a steal.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I would have to agree with you on the defense. If I'm not mistaken last years Meigs team played a lot of 1-3-1 and gave Oak Hill and some other teams a lot of problems trying to solve it. The full court press can also be very effective, but yesterday it seemed as if OH was able to break it rather easily and got a lot of uncontested layups, as well as getting a couple of Meigs players in foul trouble.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:12 am
SOC94 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:02 pm Oaks won 70-55... refs were beyond terrible
Agree about the officals, didn't affect the game as OH was in control from the start. Officals spent all night at the scorers table, seemed confused a lot of the time. Hammond and Darby too much for Meigs. Weston Baer a very good player for Meigs.
North Adams looked like a very good team, just all around better than South Gallia. Elijah Young for North Adams a real good player, at one point in the game he had 31 pts and had out scored South Gallia by himself.
Felicity HS beat Fayetteville,W.Va. 48-34 in an earlier game
Not complaining, but if that's the best that Rio Grande can come up playing OSU-Mansfield, they would be better off not playing at all. I really think that either North Adams or Oak Hill would have given them a better game. OSU-Mansfield had 5 players, not one of them could play for RG. Rio Grande could have scored 150-160 pts if they had wanted to. Ask anyone else what they thought of the RG- OSU-Mansfield game?
I respect Rio for getting a weekend full of basketball from area high schools, however, Rio continually schedules an embarrassment of a team to play when people are watching. I get Rio wants to look good in front of high school age kids and maybe allow it to serve as recruitment, but come on. If I were a high school age kid, watching that game, I would believe that Rio and teams they play must be a joke of a program. I know Rio plays some real competition, I would have much more respect for Rio if they lost to a formidable opponent. I miss the days of Earl Thomas, when he recruited some local talent, played quality basketball, and was well respected. The Ken French era has been a bit of a joke if we are honest. Would love to know his overall record since becoming head coach. It would be a lot worse if they didn't play teams like OSU-Mansfield. In all honesty, if it were not for his summer camp bringing in big bucks, there is no way he would still be the head coach,

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Rio had another team scheduled but that team cancelled on them last minute. OSU manfield agreed to play and Kudos for them because they were very short staffed to say the least.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Who was the team that cancelled? I would bet it would be OU-Chilly or OU-Lancaster

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

I heard Trinity out of Chicago. But could have the name off. It was a team out of Chicago.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Fonzie wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm
Agree about the officals, didn't affect the game as OH was in control from the start. Officals spent all night at the scorers table, seemed confused a lot of the time. Hammond and Darby too much for Meigs. Weston Baer a very good player for Meigs.
North Adams looked like a very good team, just all around better than South Gallia. Elijah Young for North Adams a real good player, at one point in the game he had 31 pts and had out scored South Gallia by himself.
Not complaining, but if that's the best that Rio Grande can come up playing OSU-Mansfield, they would be better off not playing at all. I really think that either North Adams or Oak Hill would have given them a better game. OSU-Mansfield had 5 players, not one of them could play for RG. Rio Grande could have scored 150-160 pts if they had wanted to. Ask anyone else what they thought of the RG- OSU-Mansfield game?
I respect Rio for getting a weekend full of basketball from area high schools, however, Rio continually schedules an embarrassment of a team to play when people are watching. I get Rio wants to look good in front of high school age kids and maybe allow it to serve as recruitment, but come on. If I were a high school age kid, watching that game, I would believe that Rio and teams they play must be a joke of a program. I know Rio plays some real competition, I would have much more respect for Rio if they lost to a formidable opponent. I miss the days of Earl Thomas, when he recruited some local talent, played quality basketball, and was well respected. The Ken French era has been a bit of a joke if we are honest. Would love to know his overall record since becoming head coach. It would be a lot worse if they didn't play teams like OSU-Mansfield. In all honesty, if it were not for his summer camp bringing in big bucks, there is no way he would still be the head coach,
I think Rio, the school, has different motivations when it comes to basketball than what some expect them to have. Rather than being ‘SE Ohio’s hometown college squad’, they’re instead assembling their classes full of kids from the Columbus and Dayton areas that they believe to be more talented and who are only attending Rio in particular just so they can hoop and get an affordable degree. And part of the problem there is they get kids from those areas who don’t really “have everything together”, so to speak. When I followed the team, the incoming freshman class (2014-15) season and the class above them I think only had one Southeast Ohio kid between a group of 14-15 guys and it was a boy from Meigs (Mattox, I think was his name?) There were a lot of kids in those classes who were a couple years ahead age-wise and who had landed at Rio by way of things like Hargrave Military, reclassifications, juco’s and branches.

A lot of those kids I mention don’t pan out at Rio and Rio has the idea that they likely won’t, but because they are “paying customers” in the sense that they’re willing to sign for loans to attend Rio in particular so they can hoop, escape home and try to get an education, Rio has no incentive to not try and get them. Even if it means a few less W’s per year and fewer local boys playing in the program. The supply of players willing to play college basketball exceeds the supply of roster spots, and Rio has no problem milking the cash cow of non-local kids coming in to hoop.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Rio had a team back out 2 days before so they were lucky to have Mansfield step in and play them.

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Didnt the Sheets kid from Meigs play at Rio? He is local and represents half the schools in the area.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Super trooper wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:29 pm Rio had a team back out 2 days before so they were lucky to have Mansfield step in and play them.
If that is what happened, then I guess they were in somewhat of a bind. The way it turned out, they would have been able to put on a lot better show if they had played against each other, or if they have a JV team played them.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

MarauderMadness wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:24 pm Didnt the Sheets kid from Meigs play at Rio? He is local and represents half the schools in the area.
That was pretty funny. However, I don't believe he worked out at Rio. Might be moving on to a different college.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Rio Grande does have a couple local kids on there roster. Gunner Short the ex Fairland / Boyd Co. Ky. kid starts for Rio and can really light it up. They also have Trey Kelly from Minford. I'm not sure but I was told that Landon Carroll from Oak Hill is on there JV team.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:35 am Rio Grande does have a couple local kids on there roster. Gunner Short the ex Fairland / Boyd Co. Ky. kid starts for Rio and can really light it up. They also have Trey Kelly from Minford. I'm not sure but I was told that Landon Carroll from Oak Hill is on there JV team.
Thats good to hear. The last time I attended a Rio game, the roster was full of inner city kids. Seemed like street ball, and in fact, a fight broke out mid game, caused by a Rio player. The whole thing seemed very undisciplined, from the coaches to the players. That was the last Rio game i have been to, and will be the last until there is a change in leadership.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Fonzie wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm
You hit the nail on the head with this entire post.

The Earl Thomas era was so much better / more fun to watch than the French era. French seems like a super nice guy, but the product(s) he has assembled over the years has been less than appealing.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Also a little side note. I could be mistaken, but I believe that Ed Fry, the Ex Meigs coach of the past few years, is the Associate Head Coach now under Ken French at Rio Grande.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:13 am Also a little side note. I could be mistaken, but I believe that Ed Fry, the Ex Meigs coach of the past few years, is the Associate Head Coach now under Ken French at Rio Grande.
What is the difference between associate head coach and an assistant coach?

Return to “Boys Basketball”