South Webster at Waverly Friday Dec. 7

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Re: South Webster at Waverly Friday Dec. 7

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

This final is a big surprise to me especially since it was at Waverly. That’s a tough way to open the renovated Downtown Arena.

You have to give Webster credit. They were the better team. They outplayed Waverly until the end of regulation when Waverly got hot. Then to win OT without their best player, I have nothing but respect.

Very good Division IV team beating a solid Division II team on the road. Great way to start off league play.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 pm Derrick Webb of Portsmouth Daily Times has video of Robertson's shot on his twitter account for anybody who's interested.

While I'm at it, props to Webb, Jacob smith, Ben spicer, Kevin colley, etc., for their coverage of local high school sports on twitter and in the local newspapers.*

Post by Omega »

Question about the game. Was South Webster able to dictate tempo or were the Jeeps able to keep up with the Tigers helter skelter pace?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Webster had enough ball handlers to get into there offensive sets with not much problem. Webster shoot the 3 very well and controls the boards all night which allowed them to dictate the pace. They rebounded the ball on both ends very well. And Blevins was a real problem. I hope he’s ok he took a nasty fall .

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

It was a fast pace for both teams on offense. Once we beat the press Waverly usually had a man behind on defense which led to a lot of wide open 3 balls

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

6 wide open uncontested nothing but net 3’s by the same player in the second half really hurt.
So much focus on Blevins left those 3’s wide open but at some point somebody has to get a hand in his face. #22 knocked down a couple threes as well, one coming in OT.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

when Bockway is hot, HE'S HOT.
Same for Voyers. Tanner really impressed me last year when he was scoring 20+ every JV game then they bumped him up to Varsity mid season and he has been a big key player for webster. Good ball handler and a sharp shooter.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Exciting game to watch, but an ugly one. Webster played well and deserved to get the W. I feel like the Tigers didn't play with as much energy as they did last Saturday. Easton didn't seem like himself, seemed sluggish at times and/or winded. Maybe it was just me tho. Also, was a little disappointed that Smallwood didn't see the floor after he got taken out early in the 3rd. Not sure what was going on there, but I believe he could've helped down the stretch.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:58 pm Exciting game to watch, but an ugly one. Webster played well and deserved to get the W. I feel like the Tigers didn't play with as much energy as they did last Saturday. Easton didn't seem like himself, seemed sluggish at times and/or winded. Maybe it was just me tho. Also, was a little disappointed that Smallwood didn't see the floor after he got taken out early in the 3rd. Not sure what was going on there, but I believe he could've helped down the stretch.
I agree with the assessment in the first half of your post. In reference to the last part, I’m sure it had nothing to do with on court performance......

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:18 am
art_vandelay wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 pm Derrick Webb of Portsmouth Daily Times has video of Robertson's shot on his twitter account for anybody who's interested.

While I'm at it, props to Webb, Jacob smith, Ben spicer, Kevin colley, etc., for their coverage of local high school sports on twitter and in the local newspapers.*
Double clutch, hand in his face nothing but net.... he lead the Tigers with 16 points.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

What I saw was a Waverly team that’s getting wayyyy too much hype. Waverly has a ton of athletes, very aggressive and physical. But I’m not sure they have many true basketball players.

Webster continued to break pressure and got wide open look after wide open look from 3 because of it. Waverly in the halfcourt really struggles to score. The best offensive threat is definitely the Robertson kid, and if I’m Waverly I’m bringing up the point guard from JV as he also created well.

If you can handle Waverly’s pressure in the full court you’ll get good shots in the half court. On the flip side, if Waverly can’t turn you over in the full court, they’re going to struggle to score in the halfcourt.

Great win by the Jeeps!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:58 pm Exciting game to watch, but an ugly one. Webster played well and deserved to get the W. I feel like the Tigers didn't play with as much energy as they did last Saturday. Easton didn't seem like himself, seemed sluggish at times and/or winded. Maybe it was just me tho. Also, was a little disappointed that Smallwood didn't see the floor after he got taken out early in the 3rd. Not sure what was going on there, but I believe he could've helped down the stretch.
I believe Easton was sick.
A few things I observed about the Tigers:
No communication on defense
Not getting thru screens on defense
Not setting good screens on offense
Someone has got to step up and be the leader on the floor

All these can be fixed and I’m sure the coaching staff sees this.

FXboi13
Waterboy

Post by FXboi13 »

The predictions for this game were really surprising to me! Also seeing Waverly ranked higher than Wheelersburg in PFloyd’s top 10.
But anyway, I would have called Webster by 10 or so in this one. Similar size matching up, both good shooting teams, but Webster the slightly more athletic team I expected them to control the boards and score inside/get to the free throw line, which they did. Almost surprised they did pull this one out considering how poor the second half officiating was, primarily against Webster; as well as them losing Blevins late in regulation with that big undercut & fall on the shoulder. (Shouldn’t that be more than a conventional foul by the way? Correct me if I’m wrong).

Waverly definitely controlled the tempo with the constant full court matchups/presses, but Webster did the smart thing in letting Blevins be the primary ball handler and clear out as much as possible. This press was something Waverly should have came out of though, as Blevins constantly broke it, enticing help/scramble defense, leaving guys open on the perimeter for open 3’s.

I was very impressed with the guard play from Waverly, especially the freshman in handling pressure and hitting huge shots for the tigers, including the game tying 3 to send it to OT. I look forward to seeing these teams battle again in their race against Burg for the SOC II Title. Though Webster will need Blevins to get healthy to have a chance

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

You are wrong on the Blevins play. It was pretty incredible. Blevins wasnt undercut. He literally jumped over the kid and fell Awakwardly. I am very thankful he isn’t hurt badly because I was sure he broke his collarbone.

It was a typical game for Wave4ly against South Webster. Webster shot lights out which they won’t do again this year and Blevins is so good he controls both ends of the floor. It will be a battle again at Webster. Waverly is very good and shouldn’t be down graded because Webster played so well. Tip of the cap to them.

Waverly will give Wheelersburg all they want and I believe will at least split with them. Waverly now is a game behind and has to hope Webster or oak hill can knock off wheelersburg once as well.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ukfanatic wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:44 pm You are wrong on the Blevins play. It was pretty incredible. Blevins wasnt undercut. He literally jumped over the kid and fell Awakwardly. I am very thankful he isn’t hurt badly because I was sure he broke his collarbone.

It was a typical game for Wave4ly against South Webster. Webster shot lights out which they won’t do again this year and Blevins is so good he controls both ends of the floor. It will be a battle again at Webster. Waverly is very good and shouldn’t be down graded because Webster played so well. Tip of the cap to them.

Waverly will give Wheelersburg all they want and I believe will at least split with them. Waverly now is a game behind and has to hope Webster or oak hill can knock off wheelersburg once as well.
I agree, Ive been trying to find the photo of the plays in question. He was NOT undercut and for someone to get on here claiming such is just wrong... I too am thankful he isnt hurt badly - appeared to be bad.

Webster shot lights out and Waverly couldn’t buy a bucket from 3’ in - missed a ton from point blank range, especially in OT.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

E202B84F-9B97-4881-8702-A172618495CD.jpeg
Don’t know how they called even a common foul on the play. Blevins went up over him.... I said it when it happened, “there’s no way thats a foul”..... The guy can jump out of the gym!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 pm E202B84F-9B97-4881-8702-A172618495CD.jpeg

Don’t know how they called even a common foul on the play. Blevins went up over him.... I said it when it happened, “there’s no way thats a foul”..... The guy can jump out of the gym!
I don’t know how to post pics on here but there is an I sane pic of him jumping during a soccer game. Doesn’t look real

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Don't know how to post a link, but there video on Facebook showing Blevins was clearly undercut on the play. Mind you, Blevins was going up for a DEFENSIVE rebound when Waverly kid slid underneath him from the perimeter
and "boxed out" Blevins while on offense.

Luckily, sounds like Blevins didn't break anything. But not a good look for Waverly.*

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Ukfanatic wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:44 pm You are wrong on the Blevins play. It was pretty incredible. Blevins wasnt undercut. He literally jumped over the kid and fell Awakwardly. I am very thankful he isn’t hurt badly because I was sure he broke his collarbone.

Won't do it again this year, huh? Guess Webster should go ahead and forfeit when Waverly visits in January. Lol...bbjunky was telling you guys a few weeks ago Webster was better than Waverly. I doubted him, but maybe we should be listening.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

When the play occurred it didn’t look bad to me.... then I was able to see the video on Facebook and it does in fact look dirty by the Waverly player.

In the video, Blevins has left the ground and near the apex of his jump the Waverly player comes in from the left baseline in an attempt to box Blevins out when he’s already in the air and is grabbing possession. I’m not saying the Waverly kid did it on purpose, but that picture doesn’t hold a candle to how bad the video looks.

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”