Logan 66 vs Unioto 47 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Logan 66 vs Unioto 47 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 66
Unioto 47 ... a final

... Logan tipped off the 2018-19 season to a full house at Jim's Gym in Logan as the U faithful ventured into the Hocking Hills to watch the youngin's of Coach Hoops take on the veteran lineup of Logan Chieftains & Coach Rider. As expected "varsity experience" got the "W" tonight with a BIG assist from the SEO District's best in Logan's 6-5 swingman Bo Myers - the LHS do everything senior dropped 20 points in the first 2 quarters to lead all scorers, and/or both TEAMS as Bo got 20 ... Unioto netted 16 in the first half and the rest of the Logan roster posted 13 points in the opening 2 qrts. ... Myers ended the night with 31 points capped by a transition dunk in the 4th to end the big man's night on the court.

The U entered tonight's game having lost approximately 95% of it's scoring due to graduation. Tonight would prove to be a "feeler" night for Coach Hoops as he played everyone on the varsity squad - not in a "clearing the bench" manner but with purposeful substitutions throughout the game - as the veteran SVC head coach looked at ALL of the combinations to see what combinations worked vs a hardnosed defensive minded Logan squad ... right away you could see that UHS was searching for THAT guy who could be THE guy to handle the ball under pressure - Logan pressured the ball full court/ 3/4 court, in the 1/2 court all night ... the first 2 quarters Logan turned the U over 17 times ! - youth ... Logan - although NOT a good looking first quarter offensively (14 pts/10 by Myers) had only 4 TOs in the first half - varsity experience/6 seniors 4 returning starters from last seasons' Central District's Sectional Champ Chieftains - advantage "grizzled old" teenagers ... Logan led 14-6 after 1/33-16 at intermission ... bright spots for the U - transfer sophomore Isaac Little and senior Cade McKee both appeared the most "relaxed" under the Logan pressure throughout the game for the U - both ended in double figures scoring for the Shermans (Little 13/McKee 10 pts) ...

... the second half was played evenly on the scoreboard as the Chiefs put up 33 points to the Sherman's 31 ... Unioto looked more comfortable in handling the pressure as the ball was in U's Isaac Little most the second half - ONLY 4 TOs in the last 2 qtrs. defensively holding Bo Myers to 11 points the last 2 qtrs. ... quarter breaks Logan 50 Unioto 27 after 3 ... Logan called off the "starting rotation 1-7 men hounds" with 3 minutes to play in the 4th - getting the rest of the Purple bench into the game ... I circled it on my napkin stat sheet freshman Tegan Myers picked up his first varsity "game" bucket of his career on a putback and one in the 4th ... the first of many points for the smooth, basketball savvy freshman in his career ... Logan 66 Unioto 47 a final ...

Official Unofficial Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Unioto ...

Scoring ...Isaac Little 13, Cade McKee 10, Nate Keiser 4, Gunner Greenwalt 4, Jeremy Lambert 4, Carson Debord/Justin Manson/Gabe McBee/Chance Smith all with 3 points ...

3 Pointers ... 3/17 ... Carson Debord/Justin Manson/Cade McFee all with 1 triple
FTs ........... 18/25 ...
TOs .......... 21 on the night (17 in the first 2 qtrs/ only 4 in the 3rd & 4th qtrs
PnP .......... 9 fgs/18 points
Transition buckets ... 0

... the U of Coach Hoops - young, young and younger ... I see sophomore Isaac Little & junior Cade McKee as the anchors for this season ... I also see even more youngsters getting a look from the JV squad - remember the names - Tyler Rogers (6-4 fr), Evan Park (6-4 fr), Bryd Green (6-0 soph), 6-2 soph. Carter Markko <= they will all get a look in a varsity uniform before the 2018-19 season is over - length, much needed size, athleticism ... the road doesn't get any easier for the U as they host SVC rival Zane Trace on Tuesday ... the U has won 69 straight SVC league games- the last time the Shermans lost in league play was vs - you guessed it - Zane Trace ...

Official Unofficial Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Logan

Scoring ... Bo Myers 31, Layton Cassady 11,Caleb Bell 8, Coby Bell 5, Tegan Myers 3, Wes Brooks/Landon Little/Justin Wolfe/Nolan Robinette all with 2 points
3 Pointers ... 7/16 ... Layton Cassady 3, Bo Myers 2, Caleb Bell/Coby Bell each with 1
FTs ........... 9/13
TOs ......9
PnP .....17/ 34 points in the paint
Transition points : 2 fg/4 points in transition

...What we know about the Purple - the Chiefs got the "W" ... Bo Myers will be the best player on the floor in any game all season ... Bo Myers can score inside off boards, can score off the dribble getting to the rim, can put a dagger in your heart from downtown - not just downtown BUT DOWNTOWN 2 TOWNS OVER ... questions were out there going into tonight's game for the Chiefs - where was the scoring going to come from to replace the 16 ppg by Caiden Landis' departure ? not just a player to give LHS double digit scoring "on a good night" but a consistent night in night out dbl digit scorer - not sure we have an answer to that question - yet ... Cassady got the usual - 3 triples BUT after that ? where do the points HAVE TO come from ? Coby/Caleb Bell ... double digit scoring between the 2 (adding the 2 together) isn't going to work vs the schedule that the Chiefs have ... going to need double digit scoring averages for both of these veterans to go with Bo's 20+ per night and Cassady's "3 triple" nights ... same goes for the other 2 veterans Landon Little & Wes Brooks - got to get more than the 2 points apiece from this duo ... lots of questions STILL needing answers ... good opening night "W" over a quality program in Coach Hoops' Shermans ...

Reds Fan
JV Team

Re: Logan 66 vs Unioto 47 a final

Post by Reds Fan »

Great write up!! sounds like I'll have to make the trip up 93 to watch Logan in action.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Pretty much how I thought this one would end up . Coach Hoops Tanks will be a work in progress . To start against a good team on the road but kept it respectable is something to build on . The Chiefs do so many good things . They started with a smothering defense with a number of steals and are one of the better passing and shooting teams that you will find . Most of Logans points were the result of good ball movement and unselfish play . Logans only down fall (IMO ) they play too unselfish . I agree that more points will have to come from the other players because it will be hard for one player to put up 20 + shots a game . Logan did not need multible scorers tonight because the out come was determind very early . The Tanks will win a number of games and should be Ok going forward . I Thought they settled in to keep it respectable by hitting some nice outside shots ( Logan backed the pressure off) and not quitting . SOME OF MY NOTES : Logan does not turn the ball over, they are a extremly good passing team , they play extremly good Man to Man D and they can hurt you in multiple ways ( some may not show up in box score) The Tanks : They play hard , Need someone to step up but have good talent , they play good defense on the outside but need to imrove on post Defense . They will need to cut down on TO ( they did as game progressed ) The Tanks started last season with A LOSS last year against Logan but that Loss made them a better team and that may happen this year . Logan schedule gets tougher ( one of the most brutal ever for a SEO Team) and the pieces are there to get better each game also. They have the talent and 3 or 4 players can hurt you in multible ways . Good start to the season for both teams but the better team got the W . ANOTHER Side Note . What a nice crowd . I thought I was going to have to call for a taxi after I parked the old Chevy and that new buildinG at the end of the parking lot looks hugh . Good luck to both teams the rest of the season . AND Floyd, you seem too hard on your Chiefs , They will be OK just like the Tanks will be OK .

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:28 am Pretty much how I thought this one would end up . Coach Hoops Tanks will be a work in progress . To start against a good team on the road but kept it respectable is something to build on . The Chiefs do so many good things . They started with a smothering defense with a number of steals and are one of the better passing and shooting teams that you will find . Most of Logans points were the result of good ball movement and unselfish play . Logans only down fall (IMO ) they play too unselfish . I agree that more points will have to come from the other players because it will be hard for one player to put up 20 + shots a game . Logan did not need multible scorers tonight because the out come was determind very early . The Tanks will win a number of games and should be Ok going forward . I Thought they settled in to keep it respectable by hitting some nice outside shots ( Logan backed the pressure off) and not quitting . SOME OF MY NOTES : Logan does not turn the ball over, they are a extremly good passing team , they play extremly good Man to Man D and they can hurt you in multiple ways ( some may not show up in box score) The Tanks : They play hard , Need someone to step up but have good talent , they play good defense on the outside but need to imrove on post Defense . They will need to cut down on TO ( they did as game progressed ) The Tanks started last season with A LOSS last year against Logan but that Loss made them a better team and that may happen this year . Logan schedule gets tougher ( one of the most brutal ever for a SEO Team) and the pieces are there to get better each game also. They have the talent and 3 or 4 players can hurt you in multible ways . Good start to the season for both teams but the better team got the W . ANOTHER Side Note . What a nice crowd . I thought I was going to have to call for a taxi after I parked the old Chevy and that new buildinG at the end of the parking lot looks hugh . Good luck to both teams the rest of the season . AND Floyd, you seem too hard on your Chiefs , They will be OK just like the Tanks will be OK .
Truth, Good game for both team . I think both teams were a little tight and I see both teams improving as the season goes on . The building at the end of the Parking is the new Chieftain Center and will be a great benefit . I have heard good things about possible uses. Good luck to both Teams .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Truth&fiction ... I saw ALL of those things you posted ... " AND Floyd, you seem too hard on your Chiefs , They will be OK just like the Tanks will be OK ." ... After I went to bed "this morning" LOL ... I thought the same thing "you are being too tough on the Chiefs" - don't get me wrong!- I THINK, I KNOW how good they ARE and CAN BE ... I have them my #1 because of the talent the top 7 players bring to the court every night - Bo Myers, Caleb Bell, Coby Bell, Wes Brooks, Landon Little, Layton Cassady, Tegan Myers et al. - ALL outstanding ... veteran players , seniors ... I am MORE than aware of the defensive talent, the on ball pressure, ball movement etc. ... and I KNOW they will do fine vs the Southeast District teams (Warren, Athens, Chillicothe, Sheridan, VC) on their schedule BUT as you posted the schedule they play IS the toughest in the Southeast District because they are playing Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line almost every game AND ON THE ROAD ( I believe they have all of January ON THE ROAD)... they WILL play teams with equal "experience" , and what worries me most MORE inside strength/size ... and as we all know the formula for the Central District teams is : a big in the paint, good perimeter ball handling, good fundamentals (passing/rebounding), athletic on the wings , slow down the tempo, play a half court game, make the game in the 40's-50's where the first to 50 wins ... I WANT my Purple to "beat THOSE guys" ! LOL ... in order to "BEAT THOSE GUYS" the "Chiefs' formula" has to include all of the above that the Purple first 7 possess AND an expansion of the roles they are used to playing - multiple scorers (double digit nightly- at least 3 - the capabilities are there) as you posted Bo can't do it all night in night out ... and you posted players at times HAVE TO BE selfish as other players have to grow into the" I am a scorer too" attitude (1. because they are all capable of being double digit scorers, 2. in order to keep opponents from "taking away Bo Myers" as much as possible - and BM makes it difficult already to "take him out of his game" because HE has increased HIS game ! (gets to the rim BETTER, posts up inside BETTER, he is non stop movement in his game already) - the Chiefs have to become threats to score 1-7 ... have to force opponents to play them straight up ... IF teams have to play Logan straight up/mano a mano without "junk defenses" - I'll take the Purple "my talent vs your talent" every time - Chiefs win ... EVEN with junk defenses used against LHS - the talent 1-7 is there to make opponents "pay" at the rim ... Chiefs are outstanding, Coach Rider and the staff have done a great job with the kids! , as I will be traveling Southeast Ohio all season - I won't see EVERY Logan game ... I'll see them vs ALL of the SE Ohio teams for sure, throw in a couple non-SEO games ... maybe I should just post the score of the games - no rundowns, so people don't get offended and my expectations for the Chiefs don't show due to the potential that is there ...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Floyd I just threw that in .We all strive for perfection. Your Chiefs have the potential to be very good They can be exceptional . I will bow out of the Logan thread for now so I do not offend you . Lol .

Return to “Boys Basketball”