2018-2019 New Boston Glenwood Tigers

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: 2018-2019 New Boston Glenwood Tigers

Post by LucasDavenport »

Very nice turnaround in New Boston!!

I’m not sure why scoring 106 is so terrible. Truly.

Thanks for keeping us updated a_c_m.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:38 pm Very nice turnaround in New Boston!!

I don’t think it is a big deal, but to have starters combine for 101 of the points is where the issue lies.

Travel_ball
Waterboy

Post by Travel_ball »

HamPorter wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:57 am
LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:38 pm Very nice turnaround in New Boston!!

I don’t think it is a big deal, but to have starters combine for 101 of the points is where the issue lies.
Saunders is a starter and Potts is also a starter, I don't see there stats.

catdog
Waterboy

Post by catdog »

Saunders did not play was absent from school. Potts played but did not score. Potts just returned to play from a serious ankle sprain from the first time they played East in December. K. Mays first game back from ankle sprain as well. Subs went in at 4:38 in the fourth.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

catdog wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 am Saunders did not play was absent from school. Potts played but did not score. Potts just returned to play from a serious ankle sprain from the first time they played East in December. K. Mays first game back from ankle sprain as well. Subs went in at 4:38 in the fourth.
What was the score when they went in? 90-40? Worse?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood 58
Clay 38

The Tigers made the short jaunt over Rosemount Hill tonight and spoiled the Panthers Homecoming. Tigers led after one at 16-6, at the half 36-17, after three 54-24 and the final 58-38.

Leading the Tigers in scoring was Junior Saunders with 16, followed by freshman McKinley 14, Sophomore Sexton 12, freshman Jackson 10, senior Cadwell 4, sophomore Truitt 2. Playing but not scoring were senior Branham, juniors Potts and Mays, sophomore Gosselin and freshman Comer.

New Boston improves to 11-5 and 8-2 in SOC1. Clay drops to 5-10 and 3-7.

The Tigers are on the road at Wellston tomorrow night to meet the Golden Rockets. Wellston is 2-11 on the year and 1-7 in the Ohio Division of the TVC. Next week they host the Green Bobcats 9-6, 5-4 on 2/1 and travel up to Ironton to face the St.Joseph Flyers 11-3 on Saturday 2/2. The Panthers are at the Western Indians 13-4, 8-3 on 2/1 and host the South Webster Jeeps 8-8 in SOC2 on Saturday the 2nd.

Clay won the JV 2 quarter game 27-14.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

a_c_m wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:28 pm New Boston Glenwood 58
Clay 38

The Tigers made the short jaunt over Rosemount Hill tonight and spoiled the Panthers Homecoming. Tigers led after one at 16-6, at the half 36-17, after three 54-24 and the final 58-38.

Leading the Tigers in scoring was Junior Saunders with 16, followed by freshman McKinley 14, Sophomore Sexton 12, freshman Jackson 10, senior Cadwell 4, sophomore Truitt 2. Playing but not scoring were senior Branham, juniors Potts and Mays, sophomore Gosselin and freshman Comer.

New Boston improves to 11-5 and 8-2 in SOC1. Clay drops to 5-10 and 3-7.

The Tigers are on the road at Wellston tomorrow night to meet the Golden Rockets. Wellston is 2-11 on the year and 1-7 in the Ohio Division of the TVC. Next week they host the Green Bobcats 9-6, 5-4 on 2/1 and travel up to Ironton to face the St.Joseph Flyers 11-3 on Saturday 2/2. The Panthers are at the Western Indians 13-4, 8-3 on 2/1 and host the South Webster Jeeps 8-8 in SOC2 on Saturday the 2nd.

Clay won the JV 2 quarter game 27-14.
I forget Sexton is just a sophomore. Impressive player.

New Boston should handle Wellston.

Point blank
Freshman Team

Post by Point blank »

Talk about burg winning by 63 or sw winning by 51.

Point blank
Freshman Team

Post by Point blank »

Nb played starters 2.5 quarters tonight and clay did too.
Last edited by Point blank on Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

From the Southern Ohio Sports Authority:

New Boston’s Tyler Caldwell scores 1,000 points, sets school record with 10 3’s

Kevin Colley, Staff Writer

GLENWOOD — Calm, cool, and collected … and a body language that hardly ever changes in demeanor, despite the situation.

It’s only fitting that his last name — that being of New Boston senior Tyler Caldwell — begins with a C.

But while his demeanor certainly is one of the poised variety, it belies the competitiveness and fire the 6-foot-7 guard truly holds inside.

On Jan. 18, that competitive spirit was alive and well as Caldwell not only posted a 41-point outing, but did so while knocking down a school-record 10 three-point field goals in a 106-57 victory over East.

For Caldwell, the performance was just a further testimony to what his supporters told him would occur if he kept working as hard as he did.

New Boston’s Tyler Caldwell scored 41 points and hit 10 3-point field goals in a 106-57 win over East Jan. 18. He also scored his 1,000th career point in the victory. CREDIT: Derrick Webb/Portsmouth Daily Times

“It felt good to break the record,” Caldwell said. “It was held by my junior high coach, and him and I were pretty close. So I, of course, sent him a message and let him know that I surpassed him. As for the 1,000-point mark, it feels really good. I’ve put in a lot of time and effort into my school and basketball team, and it all paid off in the end like all my supporters have told me it would.”

As a promising youngster during his sophomore season, Caldwell was already a proficient scorer, averaging over 12 points per game.

Team success, however, didn’t come along with it.

In Caldwell’s first two seasons on the varsity roster, New Boston won a combined four games.

Enter Adam Cox.

A fiery, entertaining, and talkative head coach that acted as the yin to Caldwell’s yang. And as they say, opposites attract.

In Cox’s first season, New Boston improved drastically by improving its overall record from 3-18 to an astonishing 16-8 mark, as the Tigers swept archrival East, accomplished the same exact feat against defending SOC I champion Clay, and added in seven more conference wins before earning the school’s first berth to the Convo since 2000.

“Adam is a great coach and a great person who cares about his team,” Caldwell said. “He has completely changed New Boston basketball, and I couldn’t ask for a better coach over my last couple of years. As for my teammates, I love them, and couldn’t ask for a better group of guys. Last year, Kade Conley and Kyle McQuithy were on the team, and those guys are like my brothers. I grew up with them, and I couldn’t ask for better friends. On this year’s team, we had some new guys that I didn’t know really well, but I’ve learned to love those guys. They’re great friends and teammates that constantly show love to me.”

This season, the rapid, overnight improvement that last year’s campaign took on looks like it will only get better … or at the very least, sustain itself.

Despite the return of only Caldwell from last year’s starting lineup, the senior has helped make for a smooth transition as New Boston sits with a 11-4 overall record and an 8-2 SOC I mark through its first 15 games.

The Tigers have dropped four of their five games by six points or less and three by just two points apiece.

“It feels great,” Caldwell said. “The community has always had our back even when we had multiple losing seasons in a row. I couldn’t go out being any happier as a senior. New Boston basketball is back for years to come.”

A third-team all-district selection after averaging 16 points, six rebounds, and three assists in 2017-18, Caldwell could equal — or better — that production as a senior; especially with 41-point outings.

CREDIT: Derrick Webb/Portsmouth Daily Times

However, if there’s one thing that does top his production on the basketball court, it’s his performance in the classroom. Caldwell, a member of the National Honor Society at New Boston, holds an A-average and was named as the Wendy’s High School Heisman male representative from his school.

“I’m the Salutatorian as of right now,” Caldwell said. “My mom always told me that my grades are my first priority above basketball. So I’ve put in a lot of work in the classroom and have always tried my best to be a great role model for the little kids in order to show them that grades are just as important as playing ball.”

And with the ball in his hands?

Well, let’s just say Caldwell’s come pretty far in that area, too.

“I’ve put in a lot of time and hard work,” Caldwell said. “During the summer and at every practice, I always try my hardest and give my best effort so that I can improve my game, even if it is just a little bit. People say that hard work pays off, and I think that I proved that statement to be true [on Jan. 18].”

That, however, is just part of the ice-in-his-veins mentality that Tyler Caldwell has — and it’s one that could very well lift New Boston to heights it hasn’t seen in a nearly half a century.

“It’s been great so far,” Caldwell said. “We’ve lost some games that we should’ve won, but that happens. We’ve just got to keep our heads on straight, focus on the future, try to make it back to the Convo, and obtain a different outcome.”

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Really good story and rundown

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood 63
Wellston 51

New Boston improves their record to 12-5, 8-2 with the win tonight in Wellston. Wellston falls to 2-13.

The Tigers led at all stops 22-13 after one, 29-26 a the half, 45-38 after three and the final 63-51. The Rockets tied the score at 22 early in the second quarter and were within a couple of points at the end of the game before the Tigers pulled away.

Caldwell led the Tigers tonight with 22 points, followed by Sexton 19, McKinley and Saunders with 8 each, Jackson 4 and Potts 2.

The Tigers are off until 2/1 when they host the Green Bobcats 10-6, 6-4. Saturday 2/1 they travel up to Ironton to meet the Flyers of St.Joseph 12-3. Both games should be good ones! Wellston is at River Valley 2-12, 0-8 on 1/29 to face the Raiders. 1/30 the Rockets host the Trimble Tomcats 11-3.

Wellston won the two quarter JV game 17-7.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

a_c_m wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:25 pm From the Southern Ohio Sports Authority:

GLENWOOD — Calm, cool, and collected … and a body language that hardly ever changes in demeanor, despite the situation.

It’s only fitting that his last name — that being of New Boston senior Tyler Caldwell — begins with a C.

But while his demeanor certainly is one of the poised variety, it belies the competitiveness and fire the 6-foot-7 guard truly holds inside.

On Jan. 18, that competitive spirit was alive and well as Caldwell not only posted a 41-point outing, but did so while knocking down a school-record 10 three-point field goals in a 106-57 victory over East.

For Caldwell, the performance was just a further testimony to what his supporters told him would occur if he kept working as hard as he did.

New Boston’s Tyler Caldwell scored 41 points and hit 10 3-point field goals in a 106-57 win over East Jan. 18. He also scored his 1,000th career point in the victory. CREDIT: Derrick Webb/Portsmouth Daily Times

“It felt good to break the record,” Caldwell said. “It was held by my junior high coach, and him and I were pretty close. So I, of course, sent him a message and let him know that I surpassed him. As for the 1,000-point mark, it feels really good. I’ve put in a lot of time and effort into my school and basketball team, and it all paid off in the end like all my supporters have told me it would.”

As a promising youngster during his sophomore season, Caldwell was already a proficient scorer, averaging over 12 points per game.

In Caldwell’s first two seasons on the varsity roster, New Boston won a combined four games.

Enter Adam Cox.

A fiery, entertaining, and talkative head coach that acted as the yin to Caldwell’s yang. And as they say, opposites attract.

In Cox’s first season, New Boston improved drastically by improving its overall record from 3-18 to an astonishing 16-8 mark, as the Tigers swept archrival East, accomplished the same exact feat against defending SOC I champion Clay, and added in seven more conference wins before earning the school’s first berth to the Convo since 2000.

“Adam is a great coach and a great person who cares about his team,” Caldwell said. “He has completely changed New Boston basketball, and I couldn’t ask for a better coach over my last couple of years. As for my teammates, I love them, and couldn’t ask for a better group of guys. Last year, Kade Conley and Kyle McQuithy were on the team, and those guys are like my brothers. I grew up with them, and I couldn’t ask for better friends. On this year’s team, we had some new guys that I didn’t know really well, but I’ve learned to love those guys. They’re great friends and teammates that constantly show love to me.”

This season, the rapid, overnight improvement that last year’s campaign took on looks like it will only get better … or at the very least, sustain itself.

Despite the return of only Caldwell from last year’s starting lineup, the senior has helped make for a smooth transition as New Boston sits with a 11-4 overall record and an 8-2 SOC I mark through its first 15 games.

The Tigers have dropped four of their five games by six points or less and three by just two points apiece.

“It feels great,” Caldwell said. “The community has always had our back even when we had multiple losing seasons in a row. I couldn’t go out being any happier as a senior. New Boston basketball is back for years to come.”

A third-team all-district selection after averaging 16 points, six rebounds, and three assists in 2017-18, Caldwell could equal — or better — that production as a senior; especially with 41-point outings.

However, if there’s one thing that does top his production on the basketball court, it’s his performance in the classroom. Caldwell, a member of the National Honor Society at New Boston, holds an A-average and was named as the Wendy’s High School Heisman male representative from his school.

“I’m the Salutatorian as of right now,” Caldwell said. “My mom always told me that my grades are my first priority above basketball. So I’ve put in a lot of work in the classroom and have always tried my best to be a great role model for the little kids in order to show them that grades are just as important as playing ball.”

“I’ve put in a lot of time and hard work,” Caldwell said. “During the summer and at every practice, I always try my hardest and give my best effort so that I can improve my game, even if it is just a little bit. People say that hard work pays off, and I think that I proved that statement to be true [on Jan. 18].”

That, however, is just part of the ice-in-his-veins mentality that Tyler Caldwell has — and it’s one that could very well lift New Boston to heights it hasn’t seen in a nearly half a century.

“It’s been great so far,” Caldwell said. “We’ve lost some games that we should’ve won, but that happens. We’ve just got to keep our heads on straight, focus on the future, try to make it back to the Convo, and obtain a different outcome.”

Congrats to Caldwell a great player best of luck at the next level.

I thought Kle Sexton was a starter last year ,and Grady Jackson maybe?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Sexton did start last year.

Jackson is a freshman I believe.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:38 pm Sexton did start last year.

Jackson is a freshman I believe.

Thanks ,

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

a_c_m wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:25 pm From the Southern Ohio Sports Authority:

Enter Adam Cox.

Sounds like this writer needs to do more research on what he writes.

Caldwell is not the only returning starter and trying to make it look like he is to make it look like a big surprise that they are doing so good is funny ,they should be undefeated with the talent they go with all the new additions the have on this team

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Caldwell is the only senior starter that was a starter as a Junior.

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

The article reads Caldwell as the only "returning" starter from last year's lineup .

Big difference between only one starter to two esp the player that Sexton is , just saying that it's no surprise they are doing well especially with the other added players too

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

The Green at New Boston Glenwood scheduled for tonight has been postponed until Tuesday 2/5.

The Tigers 12-5 go to Ironton tomorrow night to meet the St.Joseph Flyers 12-4. Good Luck Tigers!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood 70
Ironton St.Joseph 63

Tigers victorious in their first trip to the "St.Joe Flyer Dome"!

St.Joe led after one at 19-18, New Boston led at the half 33-32, tied after three 47-47 and the final Tigers 70-63.

Scoring for the Tigers: Sexton 22, Jackson 16, Saunders 14, McKinley 11, Caldwell 4 and Potts 3.

New Boston improves to 13-5, while the Flyers slip to 12-5.

Next up for the Tigers are two home games next week, starting on Tuesday the Green Bobcats 11-6, 6-4 come to town in a makeup game from this past Friday. Friday the 8th, league leading Eastern Pike 17-1, 11-0 comes to the Den. All three teams are playing well and should be excellent games.

St.Joseph host River Valley Raiders from the TVC on 2/6 and the Ohio Valley Christian Defenders on 2/8.

The Flyers won the two quarter JV game 24-13. Scoring for the Tigers was Truitt with 6, Branham 3, Mays 2 and Comer 2.

Return to “Boys Basketball”