Schedule
11/30 Northwest (Won 81-39)

12/1 at South Webster (Lost 61-63)
12/7 at Symmes Valley (Won 77-75 OT)
12/11 at East (Won 87-69)
12/14 Clay (Won 64-51)
12/15 Whiteoak (Lost 57-63)
12/18 at Green (Won 75-57)
12/21 at Eastern Pike (Lost 62-64, 3 OT)

1/4 Notre Dame (Won 77-29)
1/5 Peebles (Won 80-58)
1/8 Western (Lost 57-68)
1/11 Symmes Valley (Won 75-67)
1/12 at South Point (Lost 51-53)
1/15 Ironton St.Joseph (Won 83-62)
1/18 East (Won 106-57)
1/25 at Clay (Won 58-38)
1/26 at Wellston (Won 63-51)

2/2 at Ironton St.Joseph (Won 70-63)
2/5 Green (Won 73-63)
2/8 Eastern Pike (Lost 52-60)
2/12 at Western (Won 54-52)
2/16 at Notre Dame (Won 64-32)

2/26 Tournament at Northwest vs. East
Last edited by a_c_m on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:56 am, edited 15 times in total.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Re: 2018-2019 New Boston Glenwood Tigers

Post by a_c_m »

Please keep this a positive thread.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

a_c_m wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:54 pm Please keep this a positive thread.
... hopefully the Tigers can get off on a better note vs Northwest than last year's season opening loss to the Mohawks - THAT totally surprised me ! although I believe Coach Cox had a number of starters not able to play in that first game ... this season Glenwood opens with that same Northwest bunch but at home this go around ... good luck to this year's edition of the Glenwood Tigers ! from an old Tiger from waaaaaaaay back when in the class of '74 ...

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Does the Glenwood gym still have the stair step in the corner?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Omega wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:07 pm Does the Glenwood gym still have the stair step in the corner?

... New school, New gym ... the step is STILL at the old building ! LOL but not part of a "home court" advantage anymore for the Tigers LOL

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

a_c_m

You do a wonderful job of reporting New Boston and also all of our area soccer scores etc... you are a positive member of this site.

I also ask (because of a_c_m and pfloyd) that any negative crap stay off this thread. He will do an amazing job of updating us on New Boston along with Division 4 Sectional info... (I hope — like last year). Let’s not run him off with negativity.

Good luck

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:33 pm a_c_m

You do a wonderful job of reporting New Boston and also all of our area soccer scores etc... you are a positive member of this site.

I also ask (because of a_c_m and pfloyd) that any negative crap stay off this thread. He will do an amazing job of updating us on New Boston along with Division 4 Sectional info... (I hope — like last year). Let’s not run him off with negativity.

Good luck
Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

No problem. As a parent of a former high school soccer player and also a volleyball player — I appreciated your work on the soccer thread. When my daughter played volleyball in high school I kept an SOC2 thread and we were able to keep track of the league that year. Where else are you going to find standings???

I kept one for SOC2 on here last year. Most every night will have me in the FAC this year though. Makes a difference when you drive 1 minute to 1/2 the games and then begin driving 90 minutes to most every game. At least Jackson is close.

Good luck to your Tigers.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Who did they graduate? 1,000 point PG? Anyone move in since last season?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Who does New Boston have? Couple talented bigs, talented sophomore....can’t remember if that PG graduated or not.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston opens the season tonight hosting the Northwest Mohawks and tomorrow night at the South Webster Jeeps. Both games are non conference.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood Tigers 81
Northwest Mohawks 39

The Tigers led at all stops, jumping out to a 20-7 first quarter, 45-20 at the half, 57-26 after three and the final 81-39. New Boston had four players in double figures including Jackson with 20, Caldwell 19, Sexton 17, Marcus 14 and Potts had 8. The Tigers 1-0, 0-0 head to South Webster tomorrow night in another non league game.

The JV game went to the Mohawks 52-21. #20 for the Mohawks led all scorers with 18 points.

From the Daily Times

Glenwood stomps Northwest, 81-39

Sports

Prepare to face South Webster Saturday night

By Jacob Smith - jsmith@aimmediamidwest.com

Northwest’s Billy Crabtree dribbles up the court in the Mohawks season opening loss to Glenwood Friday night.

Jacob Smith | For the Daily Times

Marcus Saunders three second half threes helped elevate Glenwood to their victory over Northwest Friday night.

Jacob Smith | For the Daily Times

The long wait between the end and start of a new basketball season ended Friday night for the Glenwood Tigers as they were able to claim a season opening home victory over Northwest 81-39.

After graduating four starters from last year’s sectional championship team, there were questions as to how the Tigers would be able to replace some of their production from a season ago. Those questions were answered rather quickly as all five starters for the Tigers reached double figures, minus junior point guard Mal Potts who finished with 8 eights.

Grady Jackson finished with a team high 20 points, senior Tyler Caldwell finished with 19 points, 17 of which were in the first half, Kyle Sexton finished with 17 points, and Marcus Saunders finished with 14 points, 9 of which came off of three second half threes from the talented guard.

“We were in the double bonus, and we were trying to get Malachi to finish out in double figures, so we could have all five guys there,” said Glenwood head coach Adam Cox following his team’s win Friday night, “He passed up a couple of shots, but that’s just the kind of player he is. The balance is good, and we knew we were going to have that. We have to have that balance if we’re going to be good, to try and keep that load off of Tyler (Caldwell) and (Kyle) Sexton.”

The Tigers led after the first quarter over the Mohawks 20-7, and continued on their blistering pace to extend that to a 45-20 lead at the half, all while Saunders sat on the bench in foul trouble, allowing Jackson more freedom to score. As mentioned above, Caldwell had an incredible first half by scoring 17 points, nine of which came from behind the arc.

Glenwood kept up their offensive intensity through all four quarters, while also mixing things up on the defensive end to give Northwest different looks in hopes to complicate their offensive production, which worked to a tee. Cox believes that also for the Tigers to be successful, they have to try and guard teams in a number of different ways.

“Mixing it up is something we try and do consistently. You notice, as a coach, when we’re making runs on people and they call timeout, we’ll mix it up and give them a different look. Usually coaches are calling timeout to tell them what they need to do against what we were running earlier, and then the next time we come out we’re in something totally different… I like that style. Some coaches will try and say we run one thing and one thing only, but I like giving teams different looks.”

The Tigers intense and transitional defense worked to perfection as no Mohawk was able to get into double figures for the night. Junior Braden Borens had a team high seven points on the offensive end, while seniors Chase McClay and Jake Ellis each contributed five points apiece.

It’ll be a quick turnaround for the Tigers as they will have to travel to South Webster Saturday night in a rematch of their 2018 district semifinals contest. Cox, whose daughter attends South Webster High School and is himself a former middle school soccer coach in the Jeeps illustrious program, is all too familiar with the members of the Jeeps team that his Tigers team will have to face come Saturday night.

“It would be very difficult for me to coach against Kyle Sexton, and I feel the same way about Jacob Ruth. He was my best defender in soccer for years and I could tell Jacob (Ruth) anything. Now he’s on the other team, that makes it difficult for me. I want to cheer against Jacob, but I’m also very proud of the man he’s became as a senior. It’s an odd experience for me to coach against them, but I have the utmost respect for those kids and that program. It’s going to be a great game tomorrow night.”

As for the Northwest Mohawks, they will attempt to regroup in preparation for their game on Saturday as well where they will host another SOC I school, the Clay Panthers.
Last edited by a_c_m on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Towpath
Waterboy

Post by Towpath »

Tigers will be fine it’s funny how jealous ppl are of the Tigers smallest school in the county because they are winning and having fun great group of kids be positive. And to compare them to wheelersburg is just whining

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

South Webster Jeeps 63
New Boston Glenwood Tigers 61

South Webster slipped by the visiting Tigers by the score 63-61. The game was close from the start. Blevins had 18 pts for SW, while Voiers followed with 13. For the Tigers, Caldwell had 23, Sexton 20, Saunders 12, Jackson 4 and Potts with 2. The Jeeps led after the first quarter 18-16. The Tigers held the lead at the half at 36-32 and after three at 51-48. NB is now 1-1, 0-0, with the next game being at Symmes Valley on the 7th to open up conference play.

The Jeeps took the JV game also 40-18. #20 for SW led all scorers with 19 points.

From the Daily Times

Jeeps d. Glenwood 63-61

An instant classic. For those in attendance on both sides, the heightened level of play from both teams was incredible; From the start when the Jeeps started off 4/5 from three, to Glenwood closing out the first half with a 36-32 lead, to the moment when Tyler Caldwell stepped to the line for three free throws that would have gave the Tigers the lead with under five seconds to play. The rematch of March’s district semifinal game which saw South Webster victorious lived up to all the hype and expectations.

“We had them right where we wanted them,” said Glenwood head coach Adam Cox following the Tigers loss Saturday night, “We had an opportunity to win a game on the road, had to make some free throws and take care of the ball a little bit. If you told me our guys were going to respond with the game plan I had laid out for them and executed to give us a chance to win with Tyler Caldwell on the line, I’d take it every time, especially against a group and a team like South Webster.”

“Man were they making shots,” said South Webster head coach Brenton Cole, “Early on, it was back and forth like a punching match with both sides making three after three. Inside (Kyle) Sexton, inside Shiloah (Blevins). I didn’t count how many lead changes there were, but there were quite a few for a high school basketball game for 32 minutes. It really just came down to the end, and thank goodness we were able to come out with a W.”

The Jeeps came out on top in the end thanks to the play of two players who really excelled when their team needed a basket or a big play on the defensive end: senior forward Shiloah Blevins who finished with 21 points and sophomore Tanner Voiers who finished with 13 points.

“I’d like to say I orchestrated Shiloah’s play with all of my play calls, but it was basically get Shiloah the ball and get out of the way. Credit to them on defense, our plays just weren’t really working. Thank goodness I’ve got the luxury of a player like Shiloah Blevins to help get us the victory tonight. Tanner Voiers really stepped up to the challenge. Hit an early shot for us, really played well down the stretch. If we didn’t have that big bubble in the beginning when they got hot, we would have been buried.”

Cox was pleased by the play of Caldwell and Sexton, who each broke the 20 point mark with 23 and 20 respectively, even though his team fell just short in the waning moments of their first road game of the season.

“I love Tyler Caldwell and Kyle Sexton. Those kids missed free throws and they’re in the locker room telling me they let me down, but they didn’t let me down. They’re kids, and they showed me tonight how big of fighters they really are, and we’re going to be around for a while.”

Cox was also very complimentary of his opponents, many of which he himself helped coach in soccer when they were in middle school.

“Shiloah, hats off to him, he played a great game. Andrew Smith and Tanner Voiers both played great games. Voiers really stepped up and showed up as a sophomore and hit some big shots.”

The Tigers will get a week off from games before they travel to Symmes Valley next Friday night to face the Vikings in their opening SOC I game of the season.

As for the Jeeps, Cole’s group will host the Fairland Dragons of the OVC on Tuesday in hopes to claim their second win of the season.

“We need to get better all the way around. Sexton had 20, Caldwell had 23. Two guys in the 20’s and Saunders had 12 points. They can score and put up some points. We strive to hold teams to under that, we’re hoping to be able to hold teams in the 40’, not the 60’s. We really need to clamp down on defense more, and we need to work on running our plays.
Last edited by a_c_m on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Was really impressed by New Boston tonight. Say what you want about Cox, but I thought he coached a great game and put his kids in a position to win a tough road game even though they ultimately fell short.

Heard they got a transfer eligible in a few games as well...they gonna be a real tough out in D4 tourney.*

Point blank
Freshman Team

Post by Point blank »

Not a transfer. A kid that moved from columbus and he is a freshman and got suspended for violation of team rules for first 4 games

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood Tigers 77
Symmes Valley Vikings 75

OT

The Tigers escaped Willowwood with the win in overtime. The score was tied at 68 at the end of regulation. NB improves to 2-1, 1-0, while the Vikings slip to 0-3,0-1. Next up for the Tigers next week is a visit to Sciotoville to meet the Tartans on 12/11, host the Clay Panthers on 12/14 and the Whiteoak Wildcats on 12/15. Symmes Valley hosts Rock Hill on 12/8, Western Pike on 12/11 and travel down to Notre Dame on 12/14.

Congrats Tigers on your first SOC1 victory!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

From the Daily Times

Glenwood 77, Symmes Valley 75

The Glenwood Tigers (2-1, 1-0 in the SOC) got a massive win on the road in Willow Wood Friday night in overtime over the Symmes Valley Vikings (1-1, 0-1 in the SOC) 77-75 in both teams’ first game in SOC I play.

Tyler Caldwell had an incredible game once again for the Tigers by scoring a game and county high 30 points, snagging 7 boards and dishing 4 assists. Caldwell’s teammate, Kyle Sexton, also had the second highest points in the county by scoring 27 and grabbing an incredible 23 rebounds and dishing 5 assists. Symmes Valley was led in scoring by Jack Leith who dropped a SOC I high 34 points in the Vikings first loss of the season.

“Really proud of the way our kids battled and fought hard against a good Symmes Valley team,” said Glenwood head coach Adam Cox. “Caldwell played great and shot the ball well, Kyle Sexton’s intensity and effort while playing in foul trouble for a lot of the game speaks volumes. Mal Potts, I love Malachi and I’m hard on him sometimes because I think of him like my son. But he decided that he was going to play after getting cleared earlier today because he’s a captain on the team, and that’s just the kind of leader he is. Really happy with how our bench played with guys in foul trouble and how all of our younger guys played. Jack Leith is a good player. And incredibly well mannered, I told him that after the game. He’s only a junior and he’s going to be causing nightmares for teams in our league for the next two years.”

Box Score

Glenwood: 24-12-16-16-9 –77

Symmes Valley: 15-15-13-25-7 – 75

Glenwood: 29 FGs, 4 3pts. (Caldwell 4), 15/33 FT. Scoring: Caldwell 30, Sexton 27, Jackson 15, Potts 3, Mays 2

Symmes Valley: 29 FGs, 3 3pts. (Carpenter 2), 14/24 FT. Scoring: J. Leith 34, Scherer 15, Turner 11, Carpenter 6, L. Leith 4, Smathers 4, Ferguson 1

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood 87
East 69

NB went to Sciotoville tonight to meet the East Tartans and came away with the victory. The Tigers led at all stops 21-17, 46-25, 70-46 and the final of 87-69. NB picked up their third win of the season vs one loss and moved to 2-0 in conference play. The Tartans fell to 0-3, 0-2. The Tigers welcome the Clay Panthers 3-2,1-1 on Friday and the Whiteoak Wildcats 2-1 from Highland County on Saturday.

East won the JV game shortened to 2 quarters by 18-14.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood 64
Clay 51

The Clay Panthers came to New Boston ready to play tonight. Clay jumped out to a 11-0 lead before the Tigers got on the board. It was 11-4 Clay at the end of the first quarter. Clay continued to lead until 35 seconds left in the second quarter when the Tigers caught up ending the half 23-23. The third quarter was close with NB holding a slim 41-40 lead. The Tigers found new life outscoring the Panthers 23-11 in the fourth with the final being 64-51. Great effort by both teams.

Leading the way for NB was McKinley 24, Caldwell 19 and Sexton. Clay's Whitley had 20 points followed by Beegan with 12.

New Boston goes to 4-1 overall and 3-0 in league play. Clay slips to 3-3, 1-2. Next up for the Tigers is the Whiteoak Wildcats 3-1 coming to NB tomorrow night, which is homecoming. Whiteoak defeated Fairfield 50-38 tonight.

The JV game went to the Panthers 42-31.

Return to “Boys Basketball”