a_c_m
SEOPS H

Re: 2018-2019 New Boston Glenwood Tigers

Post by a_c_m »

From the Daily Times

New Boston overcomes 11-point deficit to beat Clay

Sports
By Derrick Webb - PDT Sports Writer

New Boston freshman Jerome McKinley finished with a game high 24 points in the Tigers home win over Clay Friday night.

NEW BOSTON — Nobody expected New Boston’s Jerome McKinley to have the impact he did on Friday night’s contest against Clay … that is, other than Jerome McKinley.

In fact, Tigers coach Adam Cox actually contemplated limiting McKinley’s playing time and allowing him to play three quarters of the JV contest — which would’ve meant McKinley wouldn’t have been eligible to play the full 32-minute varsity contest.

Instead, Cox’s assistants convinced him otherwise and McKinley showed up and showed out.

In his first-ever varsity contest, the freshman dropped a game-high 24 points, pacing the Tigers (4-1, 3-0 SOC I) to a 64-51 win over the Panthers (3-3, 1-2 SOC I) in their home SOC opener.

“McKinley, off the bench, played lights out. I didn’t expect it,” Cox said. “I even thought about playing him three quarters of JV today. They said, ‘No, just give him two quarters and unleash him in the varsity game.’ We didn’t know what to expect. He’s been practicing everyday and goes against our first team everyday. For him to get a chance to get some time on the floor … that’s big for us.”

McKinley, who came off the bench around the 4-minute mark in the first quarter, instantly provided a spark for New Boston’s offense; which to that point, had struggled.

“I had to show what I could do,” McKinley said. “I’ve been gone for four games and I was waiting for this time to come.”

While McKinley instructed his impromptu shooting clinic, teammate Kyle Sexton messed around and finished with a triple-double to the tune of 14 points, 17 rebounds and 10 assists.

Those two performances were paired with a 19-point outing via senior Tyler Caldwell.

When you put them altogether, you get a three-headed monster that’s not easy to slay.

“Sexton is just … him and Tyler are our leaders,” Cox said. “When you’re two of the best big men in southern Ohio, you’re supposed to do what they did tonight. I tell them to look for each other every time. They both can handle the ball well, they’re both good passers. They found each other numerous times tonight.”

Tale of the tape

While the end result was a 13-point win, New Boston started in an 11-point hole.

On the heels of Reece Whitley and Garret Beegan, Clay took an 11-0 lead with 3:33 left in the first quarter. The Tigers didn’t get their first bucket — via Sexton — until the 2:36 mark.

But after entering the second trailing 11-4, Cox’s crew settled in, followed the game plan and watched McKinley enjoy a breakout performance.

“We spotted them 11 and I thought it was a game we would have to try and pull out at the end,” Cox said. “We were able to fight back rather quickly and establish the ball in the post to [Kyle] Sexton. Clay came out ready. [Clay coach Garrick] ‘Tiny’ [Anderson], he’s a good friend and he had his kids ready to play. Sometimes, you have to overcome that.”

Still, the Panthers hung around as New Boston took a one-point edge into the fourth at 41-40.

But down the stretch, doses of McKinley, Sexton and Caldwell were too much for Clay to overcome as the Tigers pulled away late.

“It’s a great win for us in our SOC home opener,” Sexton said. “Clay did a good job on me and [Tyler] Caldwell, forcing us to take tough shots. My dude Jerome started balling out today, his first game. They tried to get the ball out of our hands and I just tried to facilitate for my teammate and make everyone on the court better.”

Stat book

After McKinley’s game-high 24 points and Sexton’s triple-double, Caldwell added three rebounds and two assists to his 19 points.

For Clay, Whitley finished with 20 points and five boards while Beegan added 12 points of his own. Shaden Malone ended the night with 11 rebounds and Hunter Mathias added 10 points.

What’s on tap

New Boston will attempt to continue its winning ways, hosting Whiteoak Saturday evening. Meanwhile, the Panthers will try to bounce back, hosting North Adams.

“With Green having [guard Tanner] Kimbler out and losing a couple of early games, it’s kind of opened the door for us to be a possible one seed or two seed in our sectional draw,” Cox said. “I’d say us and Whiteoak are two of the top teams in our sectional. When you get a head-to-head matchup like that, you need to win it.”

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

The New Boston Glenwood Tigers host the Whiteoak Wildcats from Highland County tonight for homecoming. The Tigers are 4-1 overall, while the Wildcats are 3-1. New Boston has defeated Northwest 81-39, Symmes Valley 77-75, East 87-69 and Clay 64-51 while the only loss came at the hands of South Webster 61-63. Whiteoak has defeated Fairfield 50-38, Peebles 62-53, and Felicity Franklin 57-47 with their only loss to Eastern Brown 51-70. This should be a good one in the Den! Good Luck to both teams and safe travels to Wildcat fans.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Very interested in this one. New Boston is playing well and the freshman looks to be a player,24 points last night. A third scorer to take pressure off Sexton and Caldwell is huge. NB will be a handful for anyone rest of the season

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Good luck to my alma mater the New Boston Tigers taking on a quality Whiteoak team tonight at the Tiger's Den ... 3 scorers is the magic number ! when 2 of them are BIGS who can crash the boards at both ends of the floor even better ...

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

beaverlover wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:44 pm Very interested in this one. New Boston is playing well and the freshman looks to be a player,24 points last night. A third scorer to take pressure off Sexton and Caldwell is huge. NB will be a handful for anyone rest of the season
New Boston is a Final Four contender with the freshman (McKinley) added to the mix, along with their size in Caldwell and Sexton. They got 5 kids in their 6 man rotation all capable of going for 20+pts. Only question mark I see is their depth if fouls or injuries pop up.*

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak with a big night last night against their rival Fairfield. Whiteoak has 3 good scorers as well. If they can avoid foul trouble and grab rebounds they’ll give themselves a chance.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Where did the freshman come from?

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:38 pm Where did the freshman come from?
I believe he moved from Columbus,,last night was his first game action.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

beaverlover wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:58 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:38 pm Where did the freshman come from?
I believe he moved from Columbus,,last night was his first game action.
Good move in! I always wonder how kids get from one place to the other. From Columbus to Glenwood lol. I always ask my new students where they came from....I’ve had them say California, Texas, Alaska. Lol how does one get from Alaska to Whiteoak. Just always fascinates me.

Wish I could make it tonight but won’t be able to.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Columbus, he is related to Akia Brown ... excellent player and a good kid as well ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:32 pm Columbus, he is related to Akia Brown ... excellent player and a good kid as well ...
Ah...family. Thanks

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Whiteoak Wildcats 63
New Boston Glenwood Tigers 57

The Wildcats defeated the Tigers tonight. Whiteoak started off slow but came alive late in third quarter and the fourth. The Tigers jumped out to a 8 point lead before Whiteoak scored. The Tigers led after one at 8-5, at the half 30-18, and after three 42-34. The Wildcats outscored the Tigers 29-15 in the final frame to take the victory. Congrats!

Ruckel led Whiteoak with 28 points. Scoring for the Tigers was Sexton 14, McKinley 13, Caldwell 10, Saunders and Jackson 7 each, while Mays had 4. I missed two points somewhere.

The JV game went to the Wildcats 47-27. Ashbaugh led the Wildcats with 24 points. The Tigers were led by Mays with 10 points, McKinley 7 in one quarter, and Truitt with 7.

New Boston now 4-2, hits the road next week on Tuesday at Green 4-3, 1-1 and Friday at Eastern Pike 3-0, 2-0 in two important SOC 1 games. Whiteoak 4-1 is at Peebles on Friday of next week and at East Clinton on Saturday.

southeastking
Waterboy

Post by southeastking »

Whiteoak is going to beat tough to beat this year. The team just plays hard with lots of enthusiasm.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

From the Highland County Press

Whiteoak gains ‘gritty’ win at Glenwood New Boston

Whiteoak at Glenwood New Boston
BOX SCORE
SCORE BY QUARTERS
WHS 05 13 26 29 — 63
GNB 08 22 12 15 — 57

The Whiteoak Wildcats earned their fourth win of the season, and second win over a two-day span, on Saturday evening as they went on the road to gain a non-conference win over the Glenwood New Boston Tigers, 63-57.

Coach Blake Kibler said of his team played “one of the grittiest games” he’s seen his team play.

Whiteoak (2-1, 4-1) trailed by a 8-5 score at the conclusion of the first quarter and by a 30-18 score at halftime as the Tigers outscored the Wildcats, 22-13 in the second frame. WHS came back with a 16-12 quarter in the third frame, and in the fourth, the Wildcats tallied 29 points, while their defense held New Boston to 15 points.

“We played one of the grittiest games I think I have ever seen a team play. We got down, it got ugly on our end and we still found a way to win against a quality New Boston team,” WHS head coach Blake Kibler said. “We always preach to the kids, no matter what happens or what kind of hole we are in, to never, ever give up, to be relentless, and that’s what they did tonight.”

Whiteoak was led by junior Hunter Ruckel, who scored 28 points in the win, with 26 of those points coming in the second half. Ruckel also finished with six rebounds and five steals. His points came off eight two-point baskets and three 3-pointers. He was also 3-for-3 from the free-throw line.

“It all started when (Hunter) started finding his shot. It gave us energy. One of the big things for me was we had guys step up tonight when we needed them to,” Kibler said. “Ryan Roberts, who comes off the bench for us, late in the fourth quarter sacrificed his body, dove for the ball and we got the timeout.

“It was huge, and the next play we took the lead for the first time in the whole game. I’m so proud of these kids. It’s a good day to be a Wildcat.”

Also for the Wildcats, Zach Rand finished with 10 points, seven rebounds and one steal. He was followed with eight points from Brayden Yeager, as he also had six rebounds and one assist.

Deavin Cumberland totaled seven points, eight rebounds, one assist, two steals. Traeten Hamilton totaled six points, four rebounds, two assists, one steal and two blocks. With two points each were Nate Frazer and Nick Bailey (two rebounds and one assist).

Next for the Wildcats is an away Southern Hills Athletic Conference game at Peebles on Friday, Dec. 21.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Truitt going to come back to NB? If so, they could go Final 4

Making offers you can't refuse
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

From the Daily Times

New Boston overcomes 11-point deficit to beat Clay

Sports

By Derrick Webb - PDT Sports Writer

New Boston freshman Jerome McKinley finished with a game high 24 points in the Tigers home win over Clay Friday night.

NEW BOSTON — Nobody expected New Boston’s Jerome McKinley to have the impact he did on Friday night’s contest against Clay … that is, other than Jerome McKinley.

In fact, Tigers coach Adam Cox actually contemplated limiting McKinley’s playing time and allowing him to play three quarters of the JV contest — which would’ve meant McKinley wouldn’t have been eligible to play the full 32-minute varsity contest.

Instead, Cox’s assistants convinced him otherwise and McKinley showed up and showed out.

In his first-ever varsity contest, the freshman dropped a game-high 24 points, pacing the Tigers (4-1, 3-0 SOC I) to a 64-51 win over the Panthers (3-3, 1-2 SOC I) in their home SOC opener.

“McKinley, off the bench, played lights out. I didn’t expect it,” Cox said. “I even thought about playing him three quarters of JV today. They said, ‘No, just give him two quarters and unleash him in the varsity game.’ We didn’t know what to expect. He’s been practicing everyday and goes against our first team everyday. For him to get a chance to get some time on the floor … that’s big for us.”

McKinley, who came off the bench around the 4-minute mark in the first quarter, instantly provided a spark for New Boston’s offense; which to that point, had struggled.

“I had to show what I could do,” McKinley said. “I’ve been gone for four games and I was waiting for this time to come.”

While McKinley instructed his impromptu shooting clinic, teammate Kyle Sexton messed around and finished with a triple-double to the tune of 14 points, 17 rebounds and 10 assists.

Those two performances were paired with a 19-point outing via senior Tyler Caldwell.

When you put them altogether, you get a three-headed monster that’s not easy to slay.

“Sexton is just … him and Tyler are our leaders,” Cox said. “When you’re two of the best big men in southern Ohio, you’re supposed to do what they did tonight. I tell them to look for each other every time. They both can handle the ball well, they’re both good passers. They found each other numerous times tonight.”

Tale of the tape

While the end result was a 13-point win, New Boston started in an 11-point hole.

On the heels of Reece Whitley and Garret Beegan, Clay took an 11-0 lead with 3:33 left in the first quarter. The Tigers didn’t get their first bucket — via Sexton — until the 2:36 mark.

But after entering the second trailing 11-4, Cox’s crew settled in, followed the game plan and watched McKinley enjoy a breakout performance.

“We spotted them 11 and I thought it was a game we would have to try and pull out at the end,” Cox said. “We were able to fight back rather quickly and establish the ball in the post to [Kyle] Sexton. Clay came out ready. [Clay coach Garrick] ‘Tiny’ [Anderson], he’s a good friend and he had his kids ready to play. Sometimes, you have to overcome that.”

Still, the Panthers hung around as New Boston took a one-point edge into the fourth at 41-40.

But down the stretch, doses of McKinley, Sexton and Caldwell were too much for Clay to overcome as the Tigers pulled away late.

“It’s a great win for us in our SOC home opener,” Sexton said. “Clay did a good job on me and [Tyler] Caldwell, forcing us to take tough shots. My dude Jerome started balling out today, his first game. They tried to get the ball out of our hands and I just tried to facilitate for my teammate and make everyone on the court better.”

Stat book

After McKinley’s game-high 24 points and Sexton’s triple-double, Caldwell added three rebounds and two assists to his 19 points.

For Clay, Whitley finished with 20 points and five boards while Beegan added 12 points of his own. Shaden Malone ended the night with 11 rebounds and Hunter Mathias added 10 points.

What’s on tap

New Boston will attempt to continue its winning ways, hosting Whiteoak Saturday evening. Meanwhile, the Panthers will try to bounce back, hosting North Adams.

“With Green having [guard Tanner] Kimbler out and losing a couple of early games, it’s kind of opened the door for us to be a possible one seed or two seed in our sectional draw,” Cox said. “I’d say us and Whiteoak are two of the top teams in our sectional. When you get a head-to-head matchup like that, you need to win it.”

BOX SCORE

Clay: 11-12-17-11 — 51

New Boston: 4-19-18-23 — 64

Clay: 19-50 FG, 9-14 FT, 4-15 3pt., 26 rebounds (Malone 11), 12 turnovers, 7 assists (Malone 4). Scoring: Whitley 20, Beegan 12, Mathias 10, Cottle 3, Malone 2, Newton 2, Hudson 2.

New Boston: 25-56 FG, 9-14 FT, 4-17 3pt., 29 rebounds (Sexton 17), 11 turnovers, 16 assists (Sexton 10). Scoring: McKinley 24, Caldwell 19, Sexton 14, Saunders 3, Mays 2, Gosshen 2.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Vito Corleone wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:28 am Truitt going to come back to NB? If so, they could go Final 4
The rumblings are out there.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:50 pm
Vito Corleone wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:28 am Truitt going to come back to NB? If so, they could go Final 4
If he stayed at Webster or New Boston they both have tremendous chances at the State Tournament this year. Instead they'll win the D3 District at Burg and lose yet again to the Harvest Prep/Africentric's of the world.

Irrelevant conversation though to this topic. New Boston is having a decent season, anxious to take them in soon and see how the freshman is. Whiteoak is a pretty decent D4 team but New Boston definitely should have won that game at home.

Nonetheless, New Boston is still a top 5 D4 team in the district, no doubt about that.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm
If he stayed at Webster or New Boston they both have tremendous chances at the State Tournament this year. Instead they'll win the D3 District at Burg and lose yet again to the Harvest Prep/Africentric's of the world.

Irrelevant conversation though to this topic. New Boston is having a decent season, anxious to take them in soon and see how the freshman is. Whiteoak is a pretty decent D4 team but New Boston definitely should have won that game at home.

Nonetheless, New Boston is still a top 5 D4 team in the district, no doubt about that.
I just laughed out loud. If Truitt is that good, he has a chance to lead the Burg to the state.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:12 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm

I just laughed out loud. If Truitt is that good, he has a chance to lead the Burg to the state.
I think you're missing the point. The difference in D3 and D4 is DRASTIC this season. Truitt would be a top 3-4 D4 player in SE Ohio, I think we all could agree on that. D4 in the SEO District is wayyyy down and Webster may be the favorite to a district title without him. The regional is always much harder, obviously, but the teams that tended to always win the regional as of late would be Africentric or Harvest Prep...... both of which moved to D3.

The regional in D4 is wide open. And as long as Africentric/Harvest Prep/Worthington Christian and all the other perennial powers stay in D3, it's going to be near impossible for a SE Ohio team to win the D3 Regional.

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”