2018/19 Warren Warriors

WarriorBlue
Varsity

2018/19 Warren Warriors

Post by WarriorBlue »

Warren Warriors 2019 Outlook

After a highly successful 2018 campaign the page turns to next year for the Warrior Boys Basketball Program. You don’t replace a Josh Huffman but Coach Maddox has experience in replacing talent. After losing Michael Hall, Evan French and Reece Patton the core of the 2013 State Final 4 squad Coach Maddox has continually produced a quality product for Warrior fans to support.
The good news for WarriorNation is the cupboard is far from bear.
With a talented crop of incoming sophomores and a rumored talented transfer the Warriors will contend for a District Championship at The Convo come March.
The talented group of incoming sophomores include Seth Dennis a 5’10” PG who got major varsity minuets this past season. The quick guard has a high level basketball IQ and court savvy of a veteran player. With a sweet jumper the year of experience will bode well for his 2019 season.
Makiah Merritt 6’4” Wing who early on this past season was getting varsity minutes before an injury put him on the shelf the 2nd half of the season. Playing 2 quarters of JV a night the silky smooth sophomore was averaging a double double while filling up the highlight reel. Merritt’s athletic ability with create matchup nightmares for opponents.
Joel Chevalier 6’3” Wing is talented player with a “Lunch Box” attitude. A Swiss Army knife, Chevalier can play and defend all 5 positions. He shoots the 3ball well but can play with physicality on both ends of the floor. A kid with a high ceiling his ability to score will add depth to the offense.
Add these kids with rumored talented transfer Brandon Simoniette from Belpre HS to the returning players and they will make Warren a contender for a District title.
Simoniette a 6’1” SG is pure athlete with basketball skill. Awesome shooter with hops dunking regularly. A good on ball defender, Simoniette’s experience and talent will put the Warriors in position to claim anther District Championship in 2019.

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: Warren Warriors Outlook 2019

Post by hawkeyepierce »

"...rumored talented transfer..." I love it.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Transfers with sitting either ( as of now ) the first half of the season or ( proposed ) sitting second half unless tongue and cheek move in . Lol

gonefishin
Waterboy

Post by gonefishin »

Maddox will have them ready to go.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:28 pm "...rumored talented transfer..." I love it.
You guys had a Wellston kid on your team last year. All good teams get transfers

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Actually, he is Vinton County kid that happened to open enrolled into Wellston in Middle School. He is now back.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:06 pm Actually, he is Vinton County kid that happened to open enrolled into Wellston in Middle School. He is now back.
The exact same as this kid. He's from Warren but then went to Belpre

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Uh, doesn't Belpre have TWO Simoniette's? is Warren just getting one or the brother too?

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 am Uh, doesn't Belpre have TWO Simoniette's? is Warren just getting one or the brother too?
The rumor I heard was both are coming. Both play football 🏈

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Truth&fiction wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:47 pm Transfers with sitting either ( as of now ) the first half of the season or ( proposed ) sitting second half unless tongue and cheek move in . Lol
When you return to your home school there is no sitting out games.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

WarriorBlue wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:47 pm Transfers with sitting either ( as of now ) the first half of the season or ( proposed ) sitting second half unless tongue and cheek move in . Lol
When you return to your home school there is no sitting out games.
You may be right. The OHSAA Transfer Bylaws states that once you participate at a school then go to another school without relocating you are a Transfer. I know there is a lot of gray area so then again you may be correct. Either way if it's best for the kids then go for it. I'm not an advocate of jumping back and forth but there can always be good reason .

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I thing a better question would be: if you knew you were gonna have a chance to play for coach Maddox, why did you ever go to belpre in the first place?

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:01 pm I thing a better question would be: if you knew you were gonna have a chance to play for coach Maddox, why did you ever go to belpre in the first place?
I’d say a change of circumstances would could lead to a change in the decision making process.
From experience with my own boys of which one transferred and one didn’t. I still regret not transferring the one that didn’t. These kids get unbelievable pressure from adults to stay. Funny thing there almost never any pressure to leave. You’d think a family decision like this would be respected but invariably there will be rhiswxrgst prejudge for selfish reasons.
In this situation I know for a 💯 fact that in this situation a brothers love was the deciding factor. If we can’t respect that then what have we come to in this world. SMDH!

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:01 pm I thing a better question would be: if you knew you were gonna have a chance to play for coach Maddox, why did you ever go to belpre in the first place?
I’d say a change of circumstances would could lead to a change in the decision making process.
From experience with my own boys of which one transferred and one didn’t. I still regret not transferring the one that didn’t. These kids get unbelievable pressure from adults to stay. Funny thing there almost never any pressure to leave. You’d think a family decision like this would be respected but invariably there will be those that prejudge for selfish reasons.
I know for a 💯 fact that in this situation a brothers love was the deciding factor. If we can’t respect that then what have we come to in this world. SMDH!

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Wow!! Hahaha.

WWBBB
Freshman Team

Post by WWBBB »

Any news on how the Warriors have looked this summer?? How many kids have played summer ball??

E High
All State

Post by E High »

They'll be solid. May take a step back from last 5 years. Well coached and always dangerous. Fine program done the right way !

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

The Warriors have had a pretty good summer especially when you consider like most teams this time of year getting everybody there is tough. Between vacations, other sports and injuries June can be a challenge.
The Warriors have been to Shootouts at Marietta College twice. Dennison University, Rio Grande, Ashland University and Eastern Camp. In total a lot games. Lots of different kids getting lots of opportunities.
This past Friday at Ashland University the Warriors looked very good losing to a talented Harvrvest Prep by 4 and DI Grove City by 6. They beat two good Indian Valley and Gallion teams.

Senior 6’4” PF Clay Miller wil lead a young but talented squad. Miler played a key role and was a letterman on last season’s District Semifinal team. Miller along Bryce Knost and Gabe Vehman will be the core of the senior leadership.
The sophomores have looked awesome with 5’10” PG Seth Dennis, 6’5” SF Makiah Merritt and 6’3” CG Joel Chevalier leading the way. The talented trio will play huge roles this year. Dennis and Merritt both athletic. Dennis is a high iq kid with a nice stroke behind the arc or off the dribble. Merritt long and silky smooth is a natural scorer with a wonderful midrange game with lots of 2 hand dunks mixed in. Chevalier is a high motor kid as tough as they come. He can guard any position on the floor and can be your main ballhandler in a pinch. A knockdown shooter from beyond the arc. Two other sophomores 6’3” PF Josh Welch and 6’5” PF Jake Baumguard both are making a push for varsity minutes.
6’2” CG Brandon Simoniette (Belpre Transfer) brings a ton of experience and athleticism to the Warriors lineup. The junior sharpshooter can beat you with the long ball but can finish at the rim with the best. Another scorer in the Warren lineup will pay dividends come March. Juniors 6’5” PF Dylan Pyatt and 6’5” PF Issac Colegrove bring size and debth to Warriors front line. Both big men are tough physical kids which the Warrior coaching staff will definitely be able to use to benefit the team.
If this team can jell in their roles and consistently defend at a high level they’ll stand a chance to win most nights. Without a proven scorer early on scoring will come in a variety of ways with a variety of weapons. The more they play together the better they will get. Definitely a team nobody will want to see 1st game of the tournament.
Things are looking good in WarriorNation!!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Yeah. Vacations ? What parents take their kids on vacation in June during the most important time of basketball ? Many coaches are shaking their heads. Sign of the times 😫

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

E High wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:01 am Yeah. Vacations ? What parents take their kids on vacation in June during the most important time of basketball ? Many coaches are shaking their heads. Sign of the times 😫
You are hard to read

Return to “Boys Basketball”