Athens at Jackson: 1/30

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Athens at Jackson: 1/30

Post by 93Bulldog »

Could someone please post a Jackson roster?

Thanks

Thoughts?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens at Jackson: 1/30

Post by 93Bulldog »

Game will be broadcasted live on 970wath & 97.1FM or streamed online at 970wath.com

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Big game for both for sure. Athens has good size that could give Jackson some matchup problems but Morrow is very good at using his players for those instances.

Athens without their PG?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

PG? No

SG Cozart still out.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:37 am PG? No

SG Cozart still out.
Teh Koondoger says, thats' been the difference lately. No DB going on. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

If this game would've been played when it was originally scheduled, I would've taken the Ironmen. However, injuries may have effected both teams in drastically different ways, so I'll take the Bulldogs by 5 at this time.

Athens only beating undersized Logan Elm by a handful is concerning though.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

I’ve watched Athens only once at McArthur but have now watched Jackson twice (at McArthur and at Greenfield McClain) each time they have looked great. Athens looked like a 17-5 kind of team at McArthur and Jackson the same both times. One thing I found crazy was Jackson at Greenfield. I think Jackson was in some kind of crazy zone but not sure. It was almost like a 1-1-1-2 zone and the middle ones were staggered to different sides. I couldn’t follow it exactly but it worked incredibly and Greenfield really struggled to score. The one was a mid court, next 3 point line on right usually but they switched it up. Next one was simply opposite side but about free throw line. Bottom two at post blocks. They definitely didn’t do anything like that at McArthur. They moved very well somehow. What I saw open that I don’t think they could’ve guarded good enough was the baseline area 3 pointer on the side with the 2nd 1, no way he could get there. Very creative though, still not sure how it was so effective. I haven’t seen alot of games this year but that was definitely the most unique look I’ve seen from a team.

I think Athens can figure things out. They beat Vinton County they should beat Jackson to. Athens by 7

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 am Big game for both for sure. Athens has good size that could give Jackson some matchup problems but Morrow is very good at using his players for those instances.

Athens without their PG?
Who is the injured Jackson player?

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I just can't imagine there are 29 teams better then Athens in southern/southeastern Ohio. I'm betting they end up as a top 20 team (perhaps top 15) when this season is finished.

This should be a really competitive close game. Does Athens bring much of a crowd these days?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

toast wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm I just can't imagine there are 29 teams better then Athens in southern/southeastern Ohio. I'm betting they end up as a top 20 team (perhaps top 15) when this season is finished.

This should be a really competitive close game. Does Athens bring much of a crowd these days?
On paper and at the beginning of the year it could have been argued that Athens had the potential to be a 15-7 maybe 17-5 team. When you lose a 2 time All-Ohio PG who played that position for 4 years and who the team revolved around you have an "Identity" problem when he is no longer there. Throw in the mix, some injuries and a couple senior leaders who decided they didn't want to play and quit-(one is now back on the team) and it adds up to a lack of chemistry and no real leadership. It's taken awhile for this team to Gel and mesh and find an identity. It seems they may have turned the corner and are playing as a TEAM. Tomorrow will be a big test as Jackson will be a strong opponent.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:56 pm
toast wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm I just can't imagine there are 29 teams better then Athens in southern/southeastern Ohio. I'm betting they end up as a top 20 team (perhaps top 15) when this season is finished.

On paper and at the beginning of the year it could have been argued that Athens had the potential to be a 15-7 maybe 17-5 team. When you lose a 2 time All-Ohio PG who played that position for 4 years and who the team revolved around you have an "Identity" problem when he is no longer there. Throw in the mix, some injuries and a couple senior leaders who decided they didn't want to play and quit-(one is now back on the team) and it adds up to a lack of chemistry and no real leadership. It's taken awhile for this team to Gel and mesh and find an identity. It seems they may have turned the corner and are playing as a TEAM. Tomorrow will be a big test as Jackson will be a strong opponent.
The thing that helped them "turn the corner" is the absence of db that they've enjoyed these past few games. I think they'll continue the success in this one for the same reason. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens by 5. Athens defense is pretty tough

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm Athens by 5. Athens defense is pretty tough
Do you like the 2-3 with Saltzman and Maxfield up top and the 3 6'4" guys in Hynes, Chubb and Butcher down low?
Or the 1-2-2 when they put Chubb up in the middle up top with his long wingspan? I think both have been effective depending on the opposing team. I like how they can mix it up nonetheless.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

The program seems to be experiencing good turnout from freshman up to JV and into Varsity-so you see a lot of friends and family at the games of both players and cheerleaders. But I also notice people who are longtime Athens faithful and fans that also show up to games. Some travel to away games unless it's down to River Valley, I don't think anyone enjoys that trip. :mrgreen:

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Word on the street is Jackson should easily win BUT who knows???/

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:11 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm Athens by 5. Athens defense is pretty tough
Do you like the 2-3 with Saltzman and Maxfield up top and the 3 6'4" guys in Hynes, Chubb and Butcher down low?
Or the 1-2-2 when they put Chubb up in the middle up top with his long wingspan? I think both have been effective depending on the opposing team. I like how they can mix it up nonetheless.
Took Jackson a bit but they work the zone well. Washington was in a 2-3 in the 4th and Jackson scored 26

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

morehead state wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 pm Word on the street is Jackson should easily win BUT who knows???/
Jackson has a good record. Not so sure about their strength of schedule though. They played VC tight and almost won it. Final 56-59. Some say we should have beat Logan Elm by more. Maybe. It was one of those nights where LE went 11-24 from 3 and one kid had 6 and as you stated it is hard to beat them at home. So a win is a win and now 3 straight and on the road. I'm Not sure what Jackson has. I hear the names Spohn and Donaldson a lot. I think Spohn has played for the Athens County Shock AAU team before. I hear he is real good. Ironman92 says Jacksons leader in rebounds and scoring has an ankle injury on another Thread and out a week or 2. He won't elaborate and not sure if he is pulling my leg. If so this could be one of those Intangibles you speak of. I'm just hoping for a competitive and injury free game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 pm
morehead state wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 pm Word on the street is Jackson should easily win BUT who knows???/
Jackson has a good record. Not so sure about their strength of schedule though. They played VC tight and almost won it. Final 56-59. Some say we should have beat Logan Elm by more. Maybe. It was one of those nights where LE went 11-24 from 3 and one kid had 6 and as you stated it is hard to beat them at home. So a win is a win and now 3 straight and on the road. I'm Not sure what Jackson has. I hear the names Spohn and Donaldson a lot. I think Spohn has played for the Athens County Shock AAU team before. I hear he is real good. Ironman92 says Jacksons leader in rebounds and scoring has an ankle injury on another Thread and out a week or 2. He won't elaborate and not sure if he is pulling my leg. If so this could be one of those Intangibles you speak of. I'm just hoping for a competitive and injury free game.
I would never joke about an injury. I’m not sure of his availability so I’d prefer to leave it at that. I hope he plays and scores 30....in a win

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Jackson roster?

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Jackson is a football school...ha.

Bulldogs by 15.

If you ain't first, you're last!