Portsmouth at Gallia Academy

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Re: Portsmouth at Gallia Academy

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Not to sure about making it to Athens just yet.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Gallia Academy Blue Devils on the win......they completed dominated the Trojans after the 1st quarter. Quite honestly it was probably Portsmouth's poorest defensive effort of the season, and GAHS took full advantage of it. Layup after layup built the Devils' lead, and the Trojans simply had no comeback in them. Still, the Trojans are a good 9-5 overall, and 4-4 in the OVC. I really think that with Gallia and Fairland being very good D2 teams, the Trojans probably won't see a team in the D3 tourney as strong as them.

BigBlue85: While I agree that Fairland and Gallia Academy are the class of the league, that doesn't mean the rest of the OVC is weak. Portsmouth is still a very respectable team (3 of the 5 losses by single digits), and Coal Grove is very good considering their schedule as the smallest school in the conference. South Point is no pushover, with Gallia Academy only winning by 2 points at SP. Ironton played the Blue Devils to a 7 point margin just last week. So there have been some competitive games involving Gallia Academy and some of the mid level OVC schools. Fairland really hasn't had a close game yet. Another note about Portsmouth is that the Trojans 5 losses have come to 4 teams with a total of only 10 losses. This is one reason I think that the Trojans can make a good run in the D3 tourney.

I think you will see a much better effort by the Trojans when the Blue Devils come to Portsmouth. Not saying PHS will win, but our kids are better than what they showed Saturday night at the Centenary Gym.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

BigBlue85 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:03 pm Wish the OVC was a better league than it is right now. Fairland and Gallia are the class of the league no doubt. Fairland has beefed up its non conference slate while Gallia tried to I think with the addition of Athens but they turned out to be a bust. I just hope the weakness of the schedule doesn't hurt the Big Blue in tournament. At least we will get a high seed which will help us get to Athens anyway.
We were pretty bad for most of the season. Athens is now playing like an Athens team. Hopefully Gallia keeps playing Athens

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

BigBlue85 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:03 pm Wish the OVC was a better league than it is right now. Fairland and Gallia are the class of the league no doubt. Fairland has beefed up its non conference slate while Gallia tried to I think with the addition of Athens but they turned out to be a bust. I just hope the weakness of the schedule doesn't hurt the Big Blue in tournament. At least we will get a high seed which will help us get to Athens anyway.
We sometime open our mouth and insert foot.

Coal grove has had a great season to this point and you disrespect them by saying only gahs and fairland ate good ?

Congrats to the hornets! !!!

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

Noitall wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm
We sometime open our mouth and insert foot.

Coal grove has had a great season to this point and you disrespect them by saying only gahs and fairland ate good ?

Congrats to the hornets! !!!
Foot in mouth indeed. Congrats to Coal Grove on the win. I still maintain the OVC isn't a strong conference though. It will be most years but this year and last it has proven to be "down." No disrespect intended to the other schools. I only mean it will not prepare GA for the Div 2 tournament. They needed to beef up the schedule was my point.Like Fairland did. I'm not sure GA is as good as the record this season and last. Waverly exposed them last year and the same thing can happen this year. CG coaching staff clearly outcoached Gallia staff. Good luck to the Hornets. Hope you go deep in the tourney!

Return to “Boys Basketball”