Question for officials, coaches, A.D.'s

Preppy
Waterboy

Question for officials, coaches, A.D.'s

Post by Preppy »

Something I have wondered about. Say official is calling a game and for whatever reason the official and coach have a major dispute. Fans become outraged toward the official. Does this lead to that official not being invited back to that certain school to officiate more games? Or does that certain official choose not to return to that school for more games? Just a curious question.

91blue14
SE

Re: Question for officials, coaches, A.D.'s

Post by 91blue14 »

all of the above have happened

captaintrojan
Waterboy

Post by captaintrojan »

I have a question for official, I have noticed a lot of kids are traveling when they receive a pass and go to shoot the basketball. A lot of kids catch the basketball and then jump stop without putting the ball on the floor or the catch the pass and do a 1,2, step then shoot the basketball is this a travel? I see a lot of this and was wondering the exact rule?

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Watch this series (8 parts). Guy does a great job of breaking it down.
https://youtu.be/BL6_I7H4Km4

Post by mlittle »

captaintrojan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:59 am I have a question for official, I have noticed a lot of kids are traveling when they receive a pass and go to shoot the basketball. A lot of kids catch the basketball and then jump stop without putting the ball on the floor or the catch the pass and do a 1,2, step then shoot the basketball is this a travel? I see a lot of this and was wondering the exact rule?
I'm neither an official, coach or AD but I do see a lot of kids get away with this travel. If a player catches the ball and then takes a 1 - 2 step it should be called traveling. The legal way to get away with the 1 - 2 step without using a dribble would be to start taking the first step as the pass is on its way then take the second step into the shot when you catch the pass.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Officials and coaches are human and sometimes just can't get along.

I would hope if a coach went to his AD and had tape to show how an official was biased----the official wouldn't be invited back.

An assigner would solve a lot of this---but watch when it's brought up for a vote.

The schools who vote against it think there is an advantage to hiring their own officials. They are right. hahahahaah

Some will be quick to get on here and tell you they wouldn't need an AD if they had an assigner.

If that's the case just think of the money they can save as they push all the other work on their principal. :)

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

fortdawg wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:08 pm Officials and coaches are human and sometimes just can't get along.

I would hope if a coach went to his AD and had tape to show how an official was biased----the official wouldn't be invited back.

An assigner would solve a lot of this---but watch when it's brought up for a vote.

The schools who vote against it think there is an advantage to hiring their own officials. They are right. hahahahaah

Some will be quick to get on here and tell you they wouldn't need an AD if they had an assigner.

If that's the case just think of the money they can save as they push all the other work on their principal. :)
We use an assigner! You guys could as well. Heck everyone in the Ohio does except for Meigs.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:22 pm
fortdawg wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:08 pm Officials and coaches are human and sometimes just can't get along.

We use an assigner! You guys could as well. Heck everyone in the Ohio does except for Meigs.
I think meigs does as well now?

If you ain't first, you're last!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

therealNY wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 pm

That's great!
Glad they came around!

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:14 pm

That's great!
Glad they came around!
Note - I may be wrong but pretty sure I was told that last year. I’ll find out.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

therealNY wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:56 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:14 pm

That's great!
Glad they came around!
Note - I may be wrong but pretty sure I was told that last year. I’ll find out.

Meigs do not

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Ok. My mistake. Thought it was actually said in this site. Apparently not.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

therealNY wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:50 pm Ok. My mistake. Thought it was actually said in this site. Apparently not.
The board will not approve it

TOESTUBBER01
Riding the Bench

Post by TOESTUBBER01 »

I was watching a game tonight and have a question about traveling. I think in this case there was an inadvertent whistle so not sure how the call would have gone. Player goes for a loose ball, gains control but his momentum carries him across the floor about eight feet on his knees (he was wearing knee pads so he slid pretty easily). Is this traveling? Or is he not considered under control until he stops? Like I said no call was made on this and I was just curious.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

TOESTUBBER01 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:14 pm I was watching a game tonight and have a question about traveling. I think in this case there was an inadvertent whistle so not sure how the call would have gone. Player goes for a loose ball, gains control but his momentum carries him across the floor about eight feet on his knees (he was wearing knee pads so he slid pretty easily). Is this traveling? Or is he not considered under control until he stops? Like I said no call was made on this and I was just curious.
No traveling. A player can slide from one end of the floor to the other. If they are on their back, they can sit up without violating. They can shoot, pass or start a dribble without violating. Rolling over or attempting to get to their feet(unless they started a dribble while on the ground) is a violation. It is also a violation if they put the ball on the floor, then rise to their feet and is first to touch the ball

dcgjones
Freshman Team

Post by dcgjones »

Jackson does not either. We have had the same officials for about 4-5 years, thats how long ive been watching. And there is NO home court advantage. If anything its the complete opposite. Never do we get a close call.

wvabuckeye
Waterboy

Post by wvabuckeye »

Preppy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 am Something I have wondered about. Say official is calling a game and for whatever reason the official and coach have a major dispute. Fans become outraged toward the official. Does this lead to that official not being invited back to that certain school to officiate more games? Or does that certain official choose not to return to that school for more games? Just a curious question.
OVAC is the only conference I know of that asks the officials if there are schools they will not work(scratch list) and I believe the coaches can also choose atleast three officials to not see. They also schedule the majority of their non-league contests as well so it includes them. None of the other assignors in or around SE Ohio have this. They do a pretty good job of managing "situations" where it may not be a good thing for a certain official to work. Generally speaking, when the schools AD hired officials they probably wouldn't hire guys when there had been issues between the official and coach. I for one think given the opportunity, officials and coaches can prove the next time they are good to go. But sometimes, people are just better off not being put into what could be a volatile situation. Its NOT good for the student athletes and THAT is what it is all about.

Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!
Coach's wife
Waterboy

Post by Coach's wife »

My question, why so many technical fouls called on one team? It seems like if an official calls one on a certain team, other officials come into the games just looking to call one on them. It's not fair to the children playing the game to officiate in this manner. I think if an official calls a technical foul on a player or coach that official should no longer be permitted to officiate games involving that team. This has happened to a certain local team over the past few seasons and it's obvious those officials are looking to call one every game now. So why is that? Is it fair?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Coach's wife wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 pm My question, why so many technical fouls called on one team? It seems like if an official calls one on a certain team, other officials come into the games just looking to call one on them. It's not fair to the children playing the game to officiate in this manner. I think if an official calls a technical foul on a player or coach that official should no longer be permitted to officiate games involving that team. This has happened to a certain local team over the past few seasons and it's obvious those officials are looking to call one every game now. So why is that? Is it fair?
Technical fouls are part of the game. Occasionally I've run across an official or 2 who seem bent on calling one but for the most part, officials don't generally have a hair trigger when it comes to calling them.
If you want that as a rule, you and a lot of your friends better go out and get your officiating license because we will need several more officials to cover games.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Coach's wife
Waterboy

Post by Coach's wife »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:41 pm
Coach's wife wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 pm My question, why so many technical fouls called on one team? It seems like if an official calls one on a certain team, other officials come into the games just looking to call one on them. It's not fair to the children playing the game to officiate in this manner. I think if an official calls a technical foul on a player or coach that official should no longer be permitted to officiate games involving that team. This has happened to a certain local team over the past few seasons and it's obvious those officials are looking to call one every game now. So why is that? Is it fair?
Technical fouls are part of the game. Occasionally I've run across an official or 2 who seem bent on calling one but for the most part, officials don't generally have a hair trigger when it comes to calling them.
If you want that as a rule, you and a lot of your friends better go out and get your officiating license because we will need several more officials to cover games.
Possibly. Or just maybe the official might think to him/herself, do I really want to call a technical on this player that looked at me funny, knowing they will not get another game with that team. Just maybe.

Return to “Boys Basketball”