Waterboy

Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

Post by buckeye1981 »

Predictions for the Bulldogs?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens Bulldogs 2017-2018

Post by 93Bulldog »

Deep, still a little young, but talented. A repeat to the Convo is not out of the realm of possibility.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

watched them play at Jackson summer league Wednesday. Not sure if that was their full compliment of players or not, but I thought they struggled. effort was there, but really seemed to lack a bonified scorer.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dickleman, Hines, Maxfield, Butcher - all football players - weather they were there or not, I don't know.

And I would assume the Dogs will struggle for a short time, Griff dominated the ball so much and scored (and shot) a ton. It's going to take awhile to adjust to life without him.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 am Dickleman, Hines, Maxfield, Butcher - all football players - weather they were there or not, I don't know.

And I would assume the Dogs will struggle for a short time, Griff dominated the ball so much and scored (and shot) a ton. It's going to take awhile to adjust to life without him.
really agree with that statement. Athens has the deepest team in the TVC, but inexperienced at the same time. Learning to deal with pressure and stress is going to be something new for these basketball players. When you only had to get the ball to Giff in the past it makes shooting the ball a lot easier.

I think Athens will be fine. Won't win the league, but will finish no worse than tied for second.

Good Luck this summer.

Go TVC!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If they can utilize their size & strength, they have a chance of upsetting vinton & grabing a share of the title. Butcher is huge, Hines is a 6'4 legit post player, dickleman 6'3 with hops, Maxfield 6'1 middle linebacker type now ... all 4 football players & physical. Cozart can score, but the big X factor will be Saltzmen. If he matures, gets more aggressive then Athens will be tough to handle.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:04 am If they can utilize their size & strength, they have a chance of upsetting vinton & grabing a share of the title. Butcher is huge, Hines is a 6'4 legit post player, dickleman 6'3 with hops, Maxfield 6'1 middle linebacker type now ... all 4 football players & physical. Cozart can score, but the big X factor will be Saltzmen. If he matures, gets more aggressive then Athens will be tough to handle.
Treyce Albin will have a break out senior campaign.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dang! I forgot all about treyce. Great point.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:31 pm Dang! I forgot all about treyce. Great point.
Should have some length and athleticism. Seniors - Cozart, Saltzman, Dickelman, Albin, Koska & Whitehead. Juniors - Hynes, Chubb, Maxfield and Gerig. Sophomore - Butcher

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Wth

Forgot about Chubb too!

Eli at 6'3 will definitely make an impact.

Athens can run 9 or 10 deep & not really have much drop off.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

6'0 saltzmen PG
5'10 Cozart SG
6'3 Dickleman SF
6'4 Hines PF
6'4 Butcher C
6'3 Chubb - can play 4 positions
6'1 Albin - can play 3 positions
6'1 Maxfield - can play 3 positions
6'2 Koska - can play 2 positions
6'0 Gherig - back up PG, could also play SG
6'2 whitehead - back up post

Coach Cozart has a lot to work with!

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Cozart led the team in shots last year, things will not change in that realm. Look for him to dominate the scoring and be an all-state performer. The depth will be key as they work 10-11 kids in at four positions.

Johnstown
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnstown »

Mickey Cozart is in the process of developing a fantastic program through hard work and passion. The first three shootouts different players were missing. Word is this team is close knit which is always a factor. Four returning starters and physical maturity is a key in hs ball. The fellas have grown. Dickelman played AAU for the first time this summer Works out every day. Albin did great in track and grew in size and confidence. Butcher and Hines look strong. Saltzman now officially at 6'2" put on weight. Dalton is a marvelous shooter. Chubb is improving. Koska knocking down shots. Logan and his passion looks bigger.

Again hats off to Coach Cozart for the energy he brings . I think this team plays at Ohio U summer camp where the competition will go up several notches and the boys will grow closer.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Might have to go sit in the AC at the convo & watch some of those games if possible. When are they?

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Johnstown wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:12 am Mickey Cozart is in the process of developing a fantastic program through hard work and passion. The first three shootouts different players were missing. Word is this team is close knit which is always a factor. Four returning starters and physical maturity is a key in hs ball. The fellas have grown. Dickelman played AAU for the first time this summer Works out every day. Albin did great in track and grew in size and confidence. Butcher and Hines look strong. Saltzman now officially at 6'2" put on weight. Dalton is a marvelous shooter. Chubb is improving. Koska knocking down shots. Logan and his passion looks bigger.

Again hats off to Coach Cozart for the energy he brings . I think this team plays at Ohio U summer camp where the competition will go up several notches and the boys will grow closer.
An empty chair could coach that kind of talent. It should be a banner year for the puppies. Here's wishing them well. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Someone will have to step up and be the scorer beside Cozart. Last year he was in somewhat of the same as VC Yates and that was the best player got a lot of attention and they got a lot of open looks . When you are the marked player your open looks are not as often . It will be interesting who steps up. I look for the Bulldogs to have a good season but have not seen their schedule . Good luck to them Are they going to be at the OU Team camp for sure? Anyone have a list of teams ?

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:10 pm Cozart led the team in shots last year, things will not change in that realm. Look for him to dominate the scoring and be an all-state performer. The depth will be key as they work 10-11 kids in at four positions.
Couldn't agree more. Cozart will be all-state, I bet first team. I haven't seen a shooter like that in years around here.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I'm excited about this Athens team. This upcoming season I expect a few players to step out of the shadows of former shining star Griffin Lutz. Who will emerge remains to be seen?? The talent will be there and the Teamwork-This will be an Unselfish team. Athens was fairly young last year. The 3 Sophomores now Juniors-Hynes, Maxfield and Chubb saw significant Court time and matured and became more comfortable as the Season went on. Dalton Cozart toward the end of the Season carried the team on his shoulders and into The Convo. Micah Saltzman and Treyce Albin became more Aggressive and will need to Continue as they go into their Senior Campaigns- both will need to be floor Generals and try to fill the shoes of Lutz. Robert Dickelman will be a Force athletically and then add to the Mix fellow football players Isiah Butcher and Justin Hynes and Logan Maxfield-this will be a physical and athletic team in the paint and there are some Guards that can really shoot in Cozart, Saltzman, Henry Gehrig, Austin Koska and Eli Chubb-All 3 can hit the 3 on a consistent basis. VC and Athens will match up well this year-Meigs will be another contender in the TVC-OHIO. Should be an exciting Season.

dunkcity
Waterboy

Post by dunkcity »

Will be an interesting year in SE Ohio and Athens.Athens looks revamped. Hynes and Dickelman are very dominant as inside forces Consensus says Hynes is the best in the area..Saltzman and Albin form a very quick first team back court. Saltzman is a solid 6'2" point that gets others involved , can score when he choses to and plays great defense.. Albin is lightening quick and can defend with aggression. Gets to the rim easily. He loves competition. Cozart has the green light to shoot and can knock down the open shot with consistency. Maxfield is a key. Off the bench Chubb and Butcher will produce and there is a solid supporting cast. Cozart is very comfortable as he enters year number two at the helm.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

dunkcity wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:41 pm Will be an interesting year in SE Ohio and Athens.Athens looks revamped. Hynes and Dickelman are very dominant as inside forces Consensus says Hynes is the best in the area..Saltzman and Albin form a very quick first team back court. Saltzman is a solid 6'2" point that gets others involved , can score when he choses to and plays great defense.. Albin is lightening quick and can defend with aggression. Gets to the rim easily. He loves competition. Cozart has the green light to shoot and can knock down the open shot with consistency. Maxfield is a key. Off the bench Chubb and Butcher will produce and there is a solid supporting cast. Cozart is very comfortable as he enters year number two at the helm.
You act as if you have a good handle on this team. With that being said I am curious as to who you you think the starting 5 will be at Athens?? Returning starters based on last season would be Dickelman, Hynes,
Cozart and Saltzman...Who gets the Coveted 5 Spot??...Do you go with Senior Albin, Juniors Maxfield or Chubb??-Does Sophomore Butcher have a Shot???-Looking for Thoughts on This-All 3 Can play-What a Good problem to have for Coach Cozart....

Return to “Boys Basketball”