Gallia Academy @ fairland 12/19

svac83
SE

Re: Gallia Academy @ fairland 12/19

Post by svac83 »

BigBlue85 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:20 pm
BigBlue85 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 am I don't disagree that Fairland has an edge in experience but only slightly. Remember that several of these Gallia kids have been playing varsity for 2-3 years as well. Maybe not as much as the Fairland kids but only slightly less. I hate to build in excuses ahead of time just in case we would lose this game. This Gallia team is a special team and seem to have a chip on their shoulders. Don't count them out before the game. I'm looking for a very competitive game in Proctorville. So on with my worthless prediction lol

Gallia 59
Fairland 63 in OT
I will humbly eat my words here. Did not expect this. I hope and this is a big hope that the coach can get this team back together after that debacle. That isn't one of his strong points however. At least River Valley will be an easy game and should put everyone in a better frame of mind for the holidays. Congrats to Fairland. Until the devils can prove otherwise I believe Fairland is anywhere from 30-40 points better than us. On to the next game. Go Blue
i dont necessarily agree with this. this team will come back very nicely and really no time in the harrison time in charge has this team played bad in back to back games or for long stretches. And there is no doubt fairland is better then blue devils but dont see how you put a point total on it. if your object is to just play a closer game they could of done it last night but they wanted to go out and see where they were at. and now they know. it is sometimes hard to show your team all there weaknesses when your winning by 25 a game against sub par competition.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Time to move on.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I did not think one kid on blue devils looked scared to be honest with you i thought the opposite looked true if they were scared they would of not played so inept. You are not playing scared. when you in bound the ball and a kid is fronting you so in bounds man throws it over yours and defenders head. the defensive kid does not out hustle you to the ball because you are scared. the kid out hustles you to ball because you are not playing as hard as he is and valuing seconds and possessions.

You guys say coach had no answers at bench you are absolutely correct. when you try like 5 different kids in back court and every single one of them is getting out hustled your coach is not going to have a answer unless he has 5 other kids to try. I am not a huge harrsion fan. I think this team should be pressing and forcing tempo more even if that means loveday plays a little less.

And i am not a believer that loveday need to touch the ball every possession. He had enough easy touches and put backs that he should of had 30 last night. He is a great talent with still a lot to learn one is presenting himself to get the ball. Peck is what 7 inches shorter them him and peck gets double teamed a lot. But still in every possession peck manages to present himself to access a entry pass. Loveday at 7 inches taller still cannot always do it. Loveday is going to have a hell of a career probably be leading scorer this year. But the offense does not always need to go through him.

if our team has the desire to work hard enough to improve they will. if they dont they won't.

look forward to river valley and rest of season and will be interested to see how we play against fairland in about 6 weeks. still think we have a very nice ball club.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

I think after last night lost to Fairland will Help the Blue Devils be a much better team and I really think this team could win 20 games in the regular season. I believe their guard play will get better and will be more prepared for pressure next time. The game against Fairland last night reminded me of Waverly all over when we constantly turned the ball over against them. The kids just needs to work harder and harder in practice and they will be fine. I saw some of the games the Blue Devils played in Columbus this summer and I saw the Henry Kid play the Point guard position and he did a good job against pressure and I hear that he was a point guard before he moved back to Gallia and he did a good job. I notice last night we were trying mostly to break the press last night with 2 guards and sending everyone else down court. I also agree with using Loveday to help with Pressure.

buckeye23
Waterboy

Post by buckeye23 »

seopcommenter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 pm
donaldtrump wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 pm And their "SHORT" a starter!!!!!!
im sorry to correct you mr presedent but it is actually there

I’m sorry to correct both of you, but it’s actually “they’re.” They are SHORT a starter. :D

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

buckeye23 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:11 pm
donaldtrump wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 pm And their "SHORT" a starter!!!!!!

I’m sorry to correct both of you, but it’s actually “they’re.” They are SHORT a starter. :D
:lol: Looks like you guys are SHORT a high school diploma :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 97-50 ... welllllllllllll then, I think we can safely say that pfloyd and the committee of one has ranked at least ONE TEAM correctly in the Elite 8 ... wow ! I suppose this outcome could have been seen without using my Ouija Board, the Magic 8 Ball or even Mrs. Pfloyd (who by the way would take the Dragons in Green & White - she is an OU graduate after all) ...

... let's review students what we have learned :

* Gallia Academy has a legitimate 7-1 SOPHOMORE post player (Mr. Loveday) ... a 6-5 senior forward (Mr. Peck) , Wiseman 6-1 senior (both with varsity experience), Call 6-1 junior, McClelland 6-0 jr, Henry 6-0 jr (getting varsity experience) vs Kollin VanHorn 6-8/Isaiah Howell 6-3/Ty Staten 6-0/Luke Thomas 6-0/Keedrick Cunningham 6-0 => ALL seniors , ALL with 3 years + 5 games + (Sectional champions/district champions/regional champions/final 4 appearance) BIG GAME VARSITY EXPERIENCE ...

* Gallia's defense has yielded 75 pts + 88 pts + 97 pts (87 ppg avg) in that order to the Fairland offense over 3 games/3 losses ... while the Gallia offense (while getting the PR as much improved has scored vs the Dragons D 48 pts + 53 pts + 50 pts ( 50 ppg avg) ... word on the street where the winning teams live "hold your opponent to 50 points or less - you win" ...

* Gallia has 2 "goto" players Loveday/Peck who can score in double digits on a regular basis while the role players scoring in double digits? those times would be considered as 'excellent" games vs Fairland 5 "goto" guys - VanHorn/Howell/Staten/Thomas score in double figures as "a normal" night with Cunningham adding his own double figure nights as needed/if needed ...

* Gallia has 7-1 SOPHOMORE Loveday - effective scorer/shot blocker/shot changer vs Kollin VanHorn senior 6-8 effective scorer inside/blocks shots/alters shots/ allows the perimeter peoples to take more chances on the perimeter defensively with VanHorn in the paint ...

* Gallia perimeter Call/McClelland/Henry add Wiseman vs Fairland's perimeter peoples Ty Staten/Luke Thomas/Cunningham & Isaiah Howell... (smh) complete mismatch ...

... Meaningful varsity experience , individual personnel at each position, offensive output capability every night, perimeter defense made as good as it is by the presence of 6-8 Kollin VanHorn behind the perimeter folks in the paint ... IF you have ever watched a Fairland game - truly WATCHED these players play together you would "get it" - these guys make passes that other teams don't even attempt to make, they make passes based on KNOWING what TEAM is going to do (ie cut etc) KNOWING where TEAM will be on the court before the opposition can react ... IF you actually watch a Fairland game, THESE players together on the court YOU would have the same smile on your face as I do when I see them play ... are they beatable ? absolutely !... any team who laces up the shoes can be beaten - BUT these Fairland players NEVER let those thoughts enter their minds - WINNERS ... TEAM is hard to beat , when winning is THE goal ... anyone can talk the talk, not everyone can back it up - I've watched this group of Fairland players back it up for 4 years now ... a complete TEAM that loves to compete , works their butts off on the court for the "W" ...

... Fairland is #1 ...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:28 pm ... 97-50 ... welllllllllllll then, I think we can safely say that pfloyd and the committee of one has ranked at least ONE TEAM correctly in the Elite 8 ... wow ! I suppose this outcome could have been seen without using my Ouija Board, the Magic 8 Ball or even Mrs. Pfloyd (who by the way would take the Dragons in Green & White - she is an OU graduate after all) ...

... let's review students what we have learned :

* Gallia Academy has a legitimate 7-1 SOPHOMORE post player (Mr. Loveday) ... a 6-5 senior forward (Mr. Peck) , Wiseman 6-1 senior (both with varsity experience), Call 6-1 junior, McClelland 6-0 jr, Henry 6-0 jr (getting varsity experience) vs Kollin VanHorn 6-8/Isaiah Howell 6-3/Ty Staten 6-0/Luke Thomas 6-0/Keedrick Cunningham 6-0 => ALL seniors , ALL with 3 years + 5 games + (Sectional champions/district champions/regional champions/final 4 appearance) BIG GAME VARSITY EXPERIENCE ...

* Gallia's defense has yielded 75 pts + 88 pts + 97 pts (87 ppg avg) in that order to the Fairland offense over 3 games/3 losses ... while the Gallia offense (while getting the PR as much improved has scored vs the Dragons D 48 pts + 53 pts + 50 pts ( 50 ppg avg) ... word on the street where the winning teams live "hold your opponent to 50 points or less - you win" ...

* Gallia has 2 "goto" players Loveday/Peck who can score in double digits on a regular basis while the role players scoring in double digits? those times would be considered as 'excellent" games vs Fairland 5 "goto" guys - VanHorn/Howell/Staten/Thomas score in double figures as "a normal" night with Cunningham adding his own double figure nights as needed/if needed ...

* Gallia has 7-1 SOPHOMORE Loveday - effective scorer/shot blocker/shot changer vs Kollin VanHorn senior 6-8 effective scorer inside/blocks shots/alters shots/ allows the perimeter peoples to take more chances on the perimeter defensively with VanHorn in the paint ...

* Gallia perimeter Call/McClelland/Henry add Wiseman vs Fairland's perimeter peoples Ty Staten/Luke Thomas/Cunningham & Isaiah Howell... (smh) complete mismatch ...

... Meaningful varsity experience , individual personnel at each position, offensive output capability every night, perimeter defense made as good as it is by the presence of 6-8 Kollin VanHorn behind the perimeter folks in the paint ... IF you have ever watched a Fairland game - truly WATCHED these players play together you would "get it" - these guys make passes that other teams don't even attempt to make, they make passes based on KNOWING what TEAM is going to do (ie cut etc) KNOWING where TEAM will be on the court before the opposition can react ... IF you actually watch a Fairland game, THESE players together on the court YOU would have the same smile on your face as I do when I see them play ... are they beatable ? absolutely !... any team who laces up the shoes can be beaten - BUT these Fairland players NEVER let those thoughts enter their minds - WINNERS ... TEAM is hard to beat , when winning is THE goal ... anyone can talk the talk, not everyone can back it up - I've watched this group of Fairland players back it up for 4 years now ... a complete TEAM that loves to compete , works their butts off on the court for the "W" ...

... Fairland is #1 ...

Good report . More teams would be a lot better if they just worked on passing and moving without the ball . I've seen very good players look bad because they think they need to do it all . It has ruined a lot of good teams .Fairland ( and I have not seen them ) from the reports knows the complete game and plays good TEAM BALL . Worst I have seen coaches condone "I " BALL not TEAM BALL. That's crazy . Good teams play together and trust each other . Fairland seems to fit the bill. Basketball is a GREAT TEAM SPORT. Thanks Pfloyd for bringing TEAM CONCEPT TO LIGHT.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

great post and spot on PFloyd.

some times we get a little biased about our own teams. And dont always see clearly. Last night really watching fairland and especially during the stretch when they put 9 points on board in 10 seconds is they are really always on 100% the entire time they are on the court from whistle to whistle and the moment they since any bit of relaxation on your part they are going to pounce on you.

It was hard not to feel disappointed but after a while it is just go WOW this is just something special. I am just glad fairland JV kids shot so poorly in the last 3 minutes to save us from fairland hanging 100 on us. they are definitely worth the price of admission.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

svac83 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 pm great post and spot on PFloyd.

some times we get a little biased about our own teams. And dont always see clearly. Last night really watching fairland and especially during the stretch when they put 9 points on board in 10 seconds is they are really always on 100% the entire time they are on the court from whistle to whistle and the moment they since any bit of relaxation on your part they are going to pounce on you.

It was hard not to feel disappointed but after a while it is just go WOW this is just something special. I am just glad fairland JV kids shot so poorly in the last 3 minutes to save us from fairland hanging 100 on us. they are definitely worth the price of admission.
... please don't in anyway think that Gallia is not deserving of THEIR ranking in the Elite 8 or the top 12 or so teams in the SE district - Gallia has the potential to be a very special team - THIS YEAR ... the scores of the 3 games vs Fairland when you look at the offensive output by Gallia and the defense vs Fairland would indicate that GAHS has not changed how they play vs Fairland (at least that is what I take from the napkin stat line) ... an analogy would be "as a teacher , IF my students don't get what I'm teaching I HAVE TO CHANGE how I instruct the students to get a different outcome" ... WHAT Fairland brings to the court "ain't" changing , IF Gallia Academy is going to compete vs Fairland the coaching staff has to change how they are doing things offensively & defensively ... so far through 3 games THAT (changes by the coaching staff) hasn't happened at either end of the court imo ...

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Wonder how OZ would have coached the 7 footer? He love to slow the game down !

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Put him in the low block, and feed him! Pivot, and lay it in. If double/triple team comes, kick out to the open shot! Easy.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

no doubt

buckeye23
Waterboy

Post by buckeye23 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Flash wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:27 pm
buckeye23 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:11 pm

:lol: Looks like you guys are SHORT a high school diploma :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”