Warren @ Athens Dec 5th

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Warren @ Athens Dec 5th

Post by Raider6309 »

Need to not reach plus Warren has no guards. so no need to play up on them. But Athens is just off football, so I'm sure they will get less physical as the season goes on. Cant spot a team plus 30 points from the free throw line

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I always sit behind visitors bench at Jackson games...love to take in all the opposing coaches. Maddox one of THE very best.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 pm Need to not reach plus Warren has no guards. so no need to play up on them. But Athens is just off football, so I'm sure they will get less physical as the season goes on. Cant spot a team plus 30 points from the free throw line

Is Athens physical during football ??

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Aren't most schools just out of football?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Everyone that plays it.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 pm Need to not reach plus Warren has no guards. so no need to play up on them. But Athens is just off football, so I'm sure they will get less physical as the season goes on. Cant spot a team plus 30 points from the free throw line
Athens only has a couple kids who played football ... lol

Treyce, Hines, Isaiah and Logan.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Agree with you on the Williams kid, hes getting better every game. At this point the only player stepping up in Maxfield. The team was riding his high in the 1st half with his points, charges and defensive stops. Williams was cutting through the lane as well making some aggressive shots. He seems to be our best ball handler. He's a bit wreckless once he penetrates, but that is fixable. The guards other than Williams were pretty non-existent. Chubb probably could have had a decent game, but got into foul trouble early. The best lineup Athens had out there in the second quarter was Cozart, Williams, Albin, Maxfield and Butcher. They seemed to score at ease during that short stretch. I would change the starters around some at this point just to shake it up.

Williams
Cozart
Hynes
Maxfield
Albin

and bring in Butcher and move Hynes to the 4 spot for no more than 2 minutes, take some defenders to the lane with them and free up the other three for outside shooting and driving to the hoop. Have to watch Butcher's speed getting down the court and back on D and then pull the trigger fast as he gets winded quickly.

And yes, Dickelman quit, from what I hear.

TOESTUBBER01
Riding the Bench

Post by TOESTUBBER01 »

During that second quarter when Athens was looking pretty good, Warren was playing 3 freshmen and a sophomore. Partly due to foul trouble and Blaine is trying different things early in the season.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

"Just off football"???? Really???? Wheelersburg is just off football. Last I checked, Athens season ended the last week of October, same as Warren's, Watterson's and Gallia's season. You really makes some silly comments on this board.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 am Agree with you on the Williams kid, hes getting better every game. At this point the only player stepping up in Maxfield. The team was riding his high in the 1st half with his points, charges and defensive stops. Williams was cutting through the lane as well making some aggressive shots. He seems to be our best ball handler. He's a bit wreckless once he penetrates, but that is fixable. The guards other than Williams were pretty non-existent. Chubb probably could have had a decent game, but got into foul trouble early. The best lineup Athens had out there in the second quarter was Cozart, Williams, Albin, Maxfield and Butcher. They seemed to score at ease during that short stretch. I would change the starters around some at this point just to shake it up.

Williams
Cozart
Hynes
Maxfield
Albin

and bring in Butcher and move Hynes to the 4 spot for no more than 2 minutes, take some defenders to the lane with them and free up the other three for outside shooting and driving to the hoop. Have to watch Butcher's speed getting down the court and back on D and then pull the trigger fast as he gets winded quickly.

We are 3 games into the Season and what I am reading between the lines is you are already writing off 2 starters in Chubb and Saltzman. In their defense this is Chubbs 1st year as a starter and Saltzmans 1st year as a starting Point Guard. I'm not sure what Criteria you are using as far as who should be starting. At this point the only consistent "scorer" has been Maxfield at 2 games in a row now. You have 2 3 year starters in Cozart and Hynes and they have yet to really get going and put up the numbers they have in the past, so if you are going by production and look at Turnovers, etc. compared to the experience they both have had at the Varsity Level then why are they in your Starting 5??? Why not put Gehrig And or Koska in there at the Guard position and Butcher at Center and Totally Shake It Up?? But unlike you I'm not ready to write them off just yet. The head coach came up with his starting 5 for a reason and it's too early to Give up on them.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

TOESTUBBER01 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:52 am During that second quarter when Athens was looking pretty good, Warren was playing 3 freshmen and a sophomore. Partly due to foul trouble and Blaine is trying different things early in the season.
Who were the 3 freshmen that played that quarter? Dennis, Merritt and ?

Road Blues
Waterboy

Post by Road Blues »

The youngest Gandee was the third freshman

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

Road Blues wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm The youngest Gandee was the third freshman
Thank you

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm
Allthewayup11 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 am Agree with you on the Williams kid, hes getting better every game. At this point the only player stepping up in Maxfield. The team was riding his high in the 1st half with his points, charges and defensive stops. Williams was cutting through the lane as well making some aggressive shots. He seems to be our best ball handler. He's a bit wreckless once he penetrates, but that is fixable. The guards other than Williams were pretty non-existent. Chubb probably could have had a decent game, but got into foul trouble early. The best lineup Athens had out there in the second quarter was Cozart, Williams, Albin, Maxfield and Butcher. They seemed to score at ease during that short stretch. I would change the starters around some at this point just to shake it up.

Williams
Cozart
Hynes
Maxfield
Albin

We are 3 games into the Season and what I am reading between the lines is you are already writing off 2 starters in Chubb and Saltzman. In their defense this is Chubbs 1st year as a starter and Saltzmans 1st year as a starting Point Guard. I'm not sure what Criteria you are using as far as who should be starting. At this point the only consistent "scorer" has been Maxfield at 2 games in a row now. You have 2 3 year starters in Cozart and Hynes and they have yet to really get going and put up the numbers they have in the past, so if you are going by production and look at Turnovers, etc. compared to the experience they both have had at the Varsity Level then why are they in your Starting 5??? Why not put Gehrig And or Koska in there at the Guard position and Butcher at Center and Totally Shake It Up?? But unlike you I'm not ready to write them off just yet. The head coach came up with his starting 5 for a reason and it's too early to Give up on them.
Cozart is a very good coach and visionary. It comes down to execution at this point. I want to enforce the point that Athens is a very good team. I believ they have the players and the tools. My shake up comment was just to give them a new look. The starting 5 he has right now for all in tense purposes will be the best 5 by the end of the year. Dalton Cozart is the real deal! He's just struggling getting looks due to the fact he is the one the other teams know about the most and are probably unwilling to let him be the dagger with all the 3's he is capable of. That is not a bad thing. If anything that is respect.

When they start TVC play, Athens will become a force and possibly finish 1st or 2nd. Also, I am not dismissing Chubb or Saltzman. Saltzman will prevail and will take the reigns to lead this team. He definitely has the ability, just seems a bit timid right now. Chubb has a great shot, and I believe he probably would have had his biggest game if it wasn't for the fouls against Warren. I bet he would have put up 12-15. I can only assume Maxfield should be good for 10 or more a game as long as he doesn't get hurt. Never seen a kid take charges so consistently. Game changer, but man, give that young man some pads.

Again, the TVC play will probably bring out the best in all these boys soon. Hynes is the key to this teams success. I don't think anyone can deny that. He will be a scoring rebounding/machine by this Friday. He and Butcher will be a heck of a 1-2 punch in TVC play.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Yeah.. When TVC play starts, the competition gets weaker, so Athens will look good.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Rufus wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 pm Yeah.. When TVC play starts, the competition gets weaker, so Athens will look good.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 am
Rufus wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 pm Yeah.. When TVC play starts, the competition gets weaker, so Athens will look good.
Yep, and then we'll get to hear how great the coach is. And if anyone disagrees a mom or wife or whatever will blast them with personal insults. :lol:

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Chief Kdogg wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 am
Yep, and then we'll get to hear how great the coach is. And if anyone disagrees a mom or wife or whatever will blast them with personal insults. :lol:
The coach will be great until VC blasts them by 30 again.

Return to “Boys Basketball”