Kevin Dunigan hired at Federal Hocking

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Kevin Dunigan hired at Federal Hocking

Post by pfloyd »

Truth&fiction wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:28 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:51 pm ANY first year HEAD coach should do exactly what Coach Dunigan is doing - pick the brains of "coaches" who have "been there" ! as a HEAD Coach YOU are responsible for NOT just the "varsity" YOU are responsible for JV, MS as well ... THAT in itself is a daunting task of trying to put a coaching staff together which WILL do what YOU want done in preparing players to be ready for varsity ball 4 years down the road ... getting a coaching "staff" that understands the roles YOU as the HEAD coach want them to play, to get them to buy into YOUR philosophy ie. "we're going to teach every kid - from the least talented to "Joe Stud Athlete" - the basics of the game, no player is going to be allowed to slide by on only their athletic ability ... or "W's & L's" are not as important to me as the HEAD coach as making sure kids get PT, kids are TAUGHT/LEARN the basics of the game, of the positions so that when players get to the varsity level "I" - the HEAD coach can coach , so the players are learning the game of basketball at the varsity level - not how to set a pick, or getting into the triple threat position etc. ...

... I've posted before that I will be keeping an eye on FH this season ... Coach Dunigan is a Logan grad ... it will be worth a trip to see the Lancers progress on the hardwood this season ... I wish Coach Dunigan & his staff the best ...
Is there any possibility that you will be on his STAFF ?
LOL !!! ... my time for coaching has come and gone LOL - strictly a "cheap seat" guy ... I leave the coaching up to the guys who KNOW what they are doing ... what I know about coaching hoops I learned from watching Coach Maddox when he coached the freshmen teams here in Logan - I helped coach the biddy ball Comets here in Logan ... our practices were usually right after Coach Maddox's practices ... I would go out with my kids - we watched Coach Maddox, learned from Coach Maddox ... my knowledge of the "how to coach", "offense/defensive play & techniques" , "fundamentals of the game" came from watching those practices/taking notes when watching/taking in how he handled players etc. ... Comets biddy ball is the extent of my coaching hoops LOL ... I learn more and more every year from watching the best of the best coaching wise though - Coach Maddox (Warren), Coach Hoops(Unioto), Coach Combs(Vinton County), Coach Stiverson & Coach Holbert (Logan Elm), Coach Persin(Oak Hill), Coach Davis(Chesapeake), Coach Caldwell(Trimble), Coach Collins(Portsmouth), Coach Beucler(Eastern Brown), Coach Barrick(Eastern Pike), Coach Bell an assistant at Logan , Coach Eversole (Fairfield Union), Coach Speed (Fairland), Coach Huffer (Chillicothe) ... I get out and see each of these coaches EVERY chance I get EVERY season - THEY teach ME the game EVERY TIME I watch their teams on the floor ... I've been told over my 35 years of teaching at the high school that I am a "good" teacher - a person becomes a good "anything" by learning every day they teach , being willing to learn from others every day they teach, learn from mistakes YOU'VE made, learn from the students/players ... probably the biggest attribute is "never being satisfied" - ALWAYS critiquing your own performance EVERT DAY ....being willing to "up YOUR game, get better EVERY DAY" ... being a good coach has to be handled in the same way imo ... not only can you EXPECT the PLAYERS to get better every practice/every game learning from you/your coaches every time out but YOU have to put the same expectation of improvement on YOURSELF as a teacher/coach out there EVERY DAY as well ... the coaches I listed? I KNOW THEY ARE NEVER SATISFIED - THEY ARE ALWAYS LOOKING TO IMPROVE THEIR TEAM AND THEMSELVES EVERY PRACTICE EVERY GAME ... maybe that's why I enjoy watching them do their jobs as I can relate to that work ethic ...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

No doubt there are some very good coaches in SEO. As a spectator we learn who they are but do we really appreciate what they do for the kids and their programs .The best are never satisfied as you mentioned . New coaches do or should try and get some help from seasoned coaches and I think KD will do that . Hope you are having a good summer floyd. Get those early rankings out ! We need some discussions and your post seems to bring people out of the wood work. By the way I'm a cheap seat guy too but I 'm sure you have the patent rights to the name Cheap Seats. LOL

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

Just curious- Was he the only one who applied for the job?

LancerPride
Waterboy

Post by LancerPride »

Fed was at the Denison Shootout over the weekend and competed well I'm told. They were 1-2 on the day with a win over Fisher Catholic and losses to Fairfield Christian and Newark Catholic. They were beating Fairfield Christian late but couldn't hang on. Not sure of scores but sounds like some good young talent for the Lancers.

bearcat74
Waterboy

Post by bearcat74 »

Hope to see the Lancers come away with a couple this yr.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Best of Luck, I'd love to see the old Alma-mater turned around!

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Saw Athens Play Fed Hock and they pressed the whole 16 Min . Not sure either team got anything out of that.

BelprePride
Waterboy

Post by BelprePride »

Belpre goes undefeated in basketball this winter. Sorry but that is at least two losses for coach doneagain

Aka eaglepappaw. :roll:
Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Only way Belpre goes undefeated is if Racine has snow days that prevent games from being played

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!

Return to “Boys Basketball”