Waverly Basketball

waverlytiger
Waterboy

Waverly Basketball

Post by waverlytiger »

This team will win the league and maybe make a run to state this year

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Waverly Basketball

Post by trojandave »

Waverly will have to replace Cade Marquez, who was an excellent scorer for the Tigers. As far as the SOC II race, WHS will be a fight with Wheelersburg for the league title. As far as making a run to the state, SE D2 teams have come up short time and again in the regionals, losing to either Central District or East District teams. I have to think that trend will continue until proven otherwise.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

trojandave wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:22 am Waverly will have to replace Cade Marquez, who was an excellent scorer for the Tigers. As far as the SOC II race, WHS will be a fight with Wheelersburg for the league title. As far as making a run to the state, SE D2 teams have come up short time and again in the regionals, losing to either Central District or East District teams. I have to think that trend will continue until proven otherwise.
You may be right, but let's not forget Oak Hill is returning SOC 2 Champions, as well as having 4 Starters back (All Seniors) With what looks like another kid getting ready to help out. The Oaks will be very good and seem to have the Tigers answer over the last 10 years. (Norm vs. Travis Record??)

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

baseball16: You're absolutely right about Oak Hill.......somehow I forgot about them. They do have a lot coming back, and maybe another transferring in. I would say right now that the Oaks are the SOC II favorite, with Wheelersburg (handed Oak Hill their only SOC II loss) and Waverly as formidable challengers. Oak Hill has a better chance of making a long tournament run than Waverly simply because D3 in 2017-2018 looks to be somewhat down, especially with Fairland probably going to D2. The regional title for a SE D2 team has been a very difficult hurdle to jump over. I can't really tab the Oaks as a strong state contender even with all they have coming back.......that loss to sub .500 Southeastern Ross in the district final makes me somewhat hesitant to bang the drum for the Oaks to be a Final 4 team. I know that loss to the Panthers was last season, but it does put some doubt in my mind about OH.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

From what I hear, Waverly will have a nice addition to the coaching staff this year. Kyle Miller, former head coach of Western, will be joining the team. I think this is great for the program, Kyle did good things at Western and is a great basketball mind to have around.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

From afar D2 in SE Ohio appears loaded. Friends back home say the Tigers will be competitive in 2017-18, but still are long shot for the SOC and the district.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Omega wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:44 pm From afar D2 in SE Ohio appears loaded. Friends back home say the Tigers will be competitive in 2017-18, but still are long shot for the SOC and the district.
Maybe to win either, yeah, but they should be super competitive in the SOC and at least reach the District Semifinals in D2

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:34 am From what I hear, Waverly will have a nice addition to the coaching staff this year. Kyle Miller, former head coach of Western, will be joining the team. I think this is great for the program, Kyle did good things at Western and is a great basketball mind to have around.
Someone better let the folks at the convo know so they can order another coaches chair! Should make the ratio 1-1 now :lol:

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Good luck getting out of a sectionals

waverlytiger
Waterboy

Post by waverlytiger »

With Jaquan Williams G(6'3''), Shabazz Thomas G(6'4''), and Andre Akers F (6'8'') coming in for this season they should be good. These guys are some talented players and could get the team to state.

SciotoVoice5
Waterboy

Post by SciotoVoice5 »

Tbh. if you want my honest opinion. There is no way that waverly is even a contender to win the S.O.C. let alone have a chance at state.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

SciotoVoice5 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am Tbh. if you want my honest opinion. There is no way that waverly is even a contender to win the S.O.C. let alone have a chance at state.
The person you are referring to saying that Waverly has a chance to make state is being a little silly I believe, considering the players he is mentioning do not even play for the Tigers.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 am
SciotoVoice5 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am Tbh. if you want my honest opinion. There is no way that waverly is even a contender to win the S.O.C. let alone have a chance at state.
The person you are referring to saying that Waverly has a chance to make state is being a little silly I believe, considering the players he is mentioning do not even play for the Tigers.
You’ve not seen Williams, Thomas or Akers? They are the real deal!!

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

I've heard they just fly in on game days.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Flush wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:11 pm I've heard they just fly in on game days.
They’ll def. be flying in for the game against Fairland at the Beasts of the Southeast.

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

Waverly always seems to have good talent every year, but they can never really get over the hump. I'm not saying they need a new coach by any means, but when you have that much talent year after year, 2nd place in the SOC would be expected at least. With all 10 of their coaches, I would think that they would have a better record and success than what they have had in the conference.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Having watched Waverly play over the last 10 to 20 years I can tell you unequivocally our talent has been very average. We have had a few marquee players but they've been surrounded by role players. On top of that we generally have not had much height to speak of and almost no depth many years.

Most years we've won more games than we probably should have. That's the result of players that are gritty, play hard nose defense and a team that is well prepared and fundamentally sound. We've been blessed to have had some of the best coaches around and this year is no exception.

This season we might actually have a little depth but not much height. No great basketball players but they'll get after it. We'll play tenacious defense and turn teams over. It'll be a fun brand of basketball to watch and hopefully we'll get several wins. And to top it off we have the best basketball facility in southern Ohio. It all good!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 am Having watched Waverly play over the last 10 to 20 years I can tell you unequivocally our talent has been very average. We have had a few marquee players but they've been surrounded by role players. On top of that we generally have not had much height to speak of and almost no depth many years.

Most years we've won more games than we probably should have. That's the result of players that are gritty, play hard nose defense and a team that is well prepared and fundamentally sound. We've been blessed to have had some of the best coaches around and this year is no exception.

This season we might actually have a little depth but not much height. No great basketball players but they'll get after it. We'll play tenacious defense and turn teams over. It'll be a fun brand of basketball to watch and hopefully we'll get several wins. And to top it off we have the best basketball facility in southern Ohio. It all good!
Can’t add much to that.

WHS2000
Waterboy

Post by WHS2000 »

Anyone have a schedule?

Return to “Boys Basketball”