Waverly Basketball

waverlytiger
Waterboy

Waverly Basketball

Post by waverlytiger » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 am

This team will win the league and maybe make a run to state this year

trojandave
JV Backup
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--3rd All Time in Ohio

Re: Waverly Basketball

Post by trojandave » Tue May 09, 2017 11:22 am

Waverly will have to replace Cade Marquez, who was an excellent scorer for the Tigers. As far as the SOC II race, WHS will be a fight with Wheelersburg for the league title. As far as making a run to the state, SE D2 teams have come up short time and again in the regionals, losing to either Central District or East District teams. I have to think that trend will continue until proven otherwise.

baseball16
Bench

Post by baseball16 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 am

trojandave wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:22 am
Waverly will have to replace Cade Marquez, who was an excellent scorer for the Tigers. As far as the SOC II race, WHS will be a fight with Wheelersburg for the league title. As far as making a run to the state, SE D2 teams have come up short time and again in the regionals, losing to either Central District or East District teams. I have to think that trend will continue until proven otherwise.
You may be right, but let's not forget Oak Hill is returning SOC 2 Champions, as well as having 4 Starters back (All Seniors) With what looks like another kid getting ready to help out. The Oaks will be very good and seem to have the Tigers answer over the last 10 years. (Norm vs. Travis Record??)

trojandave
JV Backup
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--3rd All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave » Tue May 09, 2017 11:35 am

baseball16: You're absolutely right about Oak Hill.......somehow I forgot about them. They do have a lot coming back, and maybe another transferring in. I would say right now that the Oaks are the SOC II favorite, with Wheelersburg (handed Oak Hill their only SOC II loss) and Waverly as formidable challengers. Oak Hill has a better chance of making a long tournament run than Waverly simply because D3 in 2017-2018 looks to be somewhat down, especially with Fairland probably going to D2. The regional title for a SE D2 team has been a very difficult hurdle to jump over. I can't really tab the Oaks as a strong state contender even with all they have coming back.......that loss to sub .500 Southeastern Ross in the district final makes me somewhat hesitant to bang the drum for the Oaks to be a Final 4 team. I know that loss to the Panthers was last season, but it does put some doubt in my mind about OH.