New no contact rule.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

New no contact rule.

Post by EasternDspy »

Just curious if it effected any other games over the weekend? In the Fort vs Belpre games so many fouls were called it was almost unwatchable. Better have deep teams with good foul shooters or adjust and play good D without contact. Personally I hate it.

rickoshay
SEOP

Re: New no contact rule.

Post by rickoshay »

It sure hasn't affected any calls in the girls games I've been to so far. Is this new rule for boys games only?

Heard on the radio, that OHSAA said game officials would be checked, and if not making calls, they would lose their license.

formerbobcat
Waterboy

Post by formerbobcat »

Heard on the radio, that OHSAA said game officials would be checked, and if not making calls, they would lose their license.-----------------------------------------This statement is laughable.......Not sure where/who you heard this from, but is not true...

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

Ha, 2 games in, no more protection for ball handler or shooters. It's actually in my eyes more physical and I feel officials are making a stand against all the regulations.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Portsmouth vs ND foundation saw both teams in the bonus and Notre Dame in double bonus with 1 minute left in the 1st quarter. A lot of one hand fouls and contact fouls that are usually not called were enforced above and beyond. Second half wasn't as bad which makes me wonder why they enforced it so much in the 1st half and then let them play the 2nd half.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

There wasn't much in the way of fouls in the Logan vs Unioto game on Saturday. Very physical and tough game, which i enjoyed, but only a handful of fouls.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

I call it the the no hand check rule . It's follows the the college rule . Hand checking and grabbing the shirt of the ball handler gives an advantage to a less talented defensive player. Ilike the rule but know that some disagree. Also the Post player are considered a ball handler after they receive the ball . Let's see how it plays out this year . I don't think officials will buck this . It's just part of the rules . Most will adjust to it as they do other changes .

formerbobcat
Waterboy

Post by formerbobcat »

whsball wrote:Ha, 2 games in, no more protection for ball handler or shooters. It's actually in my eyes more physical and I feel officials are making a stand against all the regulations.
whsball, maybe you should take the class, see if you pass the test then go ref some games and take care of this.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

The only thing I hate more than a rugby match is for it to be inconsistent from game to game. I'm afraid that is what might happen.

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

formerbobcat wrote:
whsball wrote:Ha, 2 games in, no more protection for ball handler or shooters. It's actually in my eyes more physical and I feel officials are making a stand against all the regulations.
whsball, maybe you should take the class, see if you pass the test then go ref some games and take care of this.
Easy formerbobcat.....easy.... I'm not bashing officials, just making an observation. I really think it's laughable each year when the OHSAA comes out w/ POE for new rules. Officials are going to call how they call, I just want them to be consistent. For the most part is the SE, we have great officials, good crews that are good guys.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Sadly, the officiating will be observed as inconsistent... cause every crew wont approach the situation exactly the same. Judgement in the eyes of the officials will be teetered

Bones13
Waterboy

Post by Bones13 »

Actually tried this "new" Points of Emphasis last year. Problem was it was confusing because hands on a player was illegal period! Now they cleaned it up by applying to only the ball handler "player in possession of ball". For instance, last year an arm bar or two hands on the post player (without the ball) should have been called a foul. Currently, it was changed to be a non foul off ball UNLESS THERE IS DISPLACED OR THE DEFENSI'VE PERSON INHIBITS THE OFFENSIVE PLAYERS RANGE OF MOTION/MOVEMENT. It helped in my opinion define the rule and what is or isn't a "ball handler".

Bones13
Waterboy

Post by Bones13 »

Valenth wrote:Sadly, the officiating will be observed as inconsistent... cause every crew wont approach the situation exactly the same. Judgement in the eyes of the officials will be teetered
Actually the crew should be address all Points of Emphasis in Pre-Game (which is mandatory) before leaving the dressing room. They should also be discussing these topics in their 4 association meeting as well. There should be less and less inconsistencies if this is done.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I've seen 3 basketball games so far this year. 2 boys and a girls gamegame, and I really haven't noticed any difference.
That's just me, and I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to roundball lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Bones13 wrote:
Valenth wrote:Sadly, the officiating will be observed as inconsistent... cause every crew wont approach the situation exactly the same. Judgement in the eyes of the officials will be teetered
Actually the crew should be address all Points of Emphasis in Pre-Game (which is mandatory) before leaving the dressing room. They should also be discussing these topics in their 4 association meeting as well. There should be less and less inconsistencies if this is done.
I agree.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Been to 2 girls and 2 boys games still see the hands and no call , but it was same for both teams , it will be hard for teams to adjust when one game called and next game isn't. Jmo

You can't handle the truth
Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

The 2 games I observed were still mediocre, I dislike watching Ross county refs call games anymore, south or west games are very good and well officiated haven't noticed any changes.

Return to “Boys Basketball”