WEST BASKETBALL

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

WEST BASKETBALL

Post by TheSportsGuy »

I still have a few west side connections and from what I understand the West job is open and Bradford has applied.

I think it will be good to have him back leading that program again. It seems like the basketball programs over there are tough jobs, but I guess as a former coach and player at West he knows the situation better than anyone else.

Westfan
SEOP

Re: WEST BASKETBALL

Post by Westfan »

That would be great if Bradford applied. He is a good coach. There is some good talent coming up.

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

Westfan wrote:That would be great if Bradford applied. He is a good coach. There is some good talent coming up.
I agree. I really thought Bradford was building the program and had it in the right direction before he stepped away a few years ago.

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

When is this position going to be decided on? Also, my previous post was not to imply that the previous coach had done a terrible job or that he ruined the program. In all honesty, this position would be tough for anyone to take over, especially it being your first head varsity job.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

No idea when it will be filled.

West is a tough job because the league is so good. Waverly, Minford, Valley, Wheelersburg, and South Webster are almost always good and you play them twice. Northwest has been solid over the years. Then your non-conference games are generally the OVC Teams. Tough to build a program when a good season is .500. Same for girls basketball.

Since the league lets Northwest and Oak Hill play down in football, maybe they will let West play down in basketball?

West Sider
Varsity

Post by West Sider »

Bill Hafer has be selected as West Basketball coach next season. Bradford did apply and Hafer was selected over Bradford. There was no interviews, no committee Just another hand picked employee by our Fine Superintendent Jeff Stricklett . Good luck to Hafer.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

No interviews ???!!! the optics are horrible here ... hard to have ANYONE on the "outside" even consider applying IF they know that it's a "done deal" ... wow !

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

As for the interviews, I don't know about that part. But I do know that Hafer is a pretty good young coach that had his team play hard for him. I won't be saying anything negative about this hiring, I think "The Dean" will do a good job!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I agree.
Surprised Bradford didn't get it but Hafer is a good coach.

He's been a jv coach for sometime and he is committed to the program. Every varsity coach has to get their first job somewhere. I think Hafer will put in the time and probably be involved with the younger kids more. That is what the program needs. You can't turn a blind eye till kids are freshmen and then expect to make them basketball players.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Thanks CoachC and Westfan ! for the good of the program and players I wish Coach Hafer the best this season - lots of schools already doing "individual" practices/instruction ... open gyms ... getting ready for the June practice days/camps/shootouts etc.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Congrats to Coach Hafer, he is a good young coach who knows the game. Wouldn't be surprised to see some old things Bradford had in place his first stint at West along with his own ideas on turning the West program around.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

2 cents worth- to turn this program around.
1) Play the best players no matter what grade level.
2) Get all the best athletes to participate.
3)Discipline
4)TEAM=no individuals
5) Less parental involvement
6) Name shouldn't matter.

A couple other things to help this schools sports programs.
7) Make all sports as important as football
8) Change the process that all sports use the money that sport raises to pay for that sports expenses. Ludicrous-tell me any other school in the state that does this? Can you imagine how many sports that Ohio State would have if the football program kept all of their money and didn't help out the other programs? Why have the people involved in all the other sports allowed this to happen?

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

On another note, I would say West Basketball owes a huge thanks to Scott Davis. Not only did he jump in the water to take over the program, he also has been a major supporter with "The Complex" to help the youth in basketball and other sports as well.

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

I think this hire gives West Basketball a chance to have some long term stability from a true basketball minded person. Coach Hafer, if they let him be, will bring basketball to the front of the table for many athletes at West. I do not think he will top Bradford in terms of pure raw coaching talent, but he will develop. Also hats off to Coach Davis, that guy is a Senator true and through, and always will be.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I wish him well and agree with clevelandbrowns#1.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

West Sider wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:41 am Bill Hafer has be selected as West Basketball coach next season. Bradford did apply and Hafer was selected over Bradford. There was no interviews, no committee Just another hand picked employee by our Fine Superintendent Jeff Stricklett . Good luck to Hafer.
Coach Bradford is now a assistant coach at Wheelersburg.

Return to “Boys Basketball”