Competitive Balance - Cut them vs. Keep them

mondayamqb
Freshman Team

Competitive Balance - Cut them vs. Keep them

Post by mondayamqb »

Question - you are the coach. With the new competitive balance formula, Tier 1 adds 1 to your enrollment numbers; while Tier 2 adds 5 to your enrollment. These additions include all players on the roster: Freshmen, JV, Varsity.

If your rosters have player(s) that are either Tier 1 or Tier 2 that are role players (i'm not talking starters or regular rotation players), are you better off cutting them? Otherwise, they may be enough of an enrollment addition to place your school in another Division (say 4 to 3, 3 to 2, or 2 to 1),

I know the ethical answer. Interested in others' thoughts/reality.

svac83
SE

Re: Competitive Balance - Cut them vs. Keep them

Post by svac83 »

So you should already have your answer.. because look and see what teams did last year.. because that was first year it took effect... this year you could have as many transfers as you last key and it would make no difference.

For the most part I would say no one will make any changes to what they normally do.. most people don't transfer for a sport if they aren't going to be major contributors.. and if kid transferred for other reasons you are really going to Denise him an opportunity because you might move up a division.. not that many teams have a chance to win a state title and moving up or down a division doesn't make your road that much easier or harder

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

You can't tell a kid he can't play. Have to play up a division. The only schools that would do that is Massillon and Steubenville

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

mondayamqb wrote:Question - you are the coach. With the new competitive balance formula, Tier 1 adds 1 to your enrollment numbers; while Tier 2 adds 5 to your enrollment. These additions include all players on the roster: Freshmen, JV, Varsity.

If your rosters have player(s) that are either Tier 1 or Tier 2 that are role players (i'm not talking starters or regular rotation players), are you better off cutting them? Otherwise, they may be enough of an enrollment addition to place your school in another Division (say 4 to 3, 3 to 2, or 2 to 1),

I know the ethical answer. Interested in others' thoughts/reality.
One idea I've had is that if any players that are Tiered 2 aren't putting in complete effort, not attending much of the 'optional' practices, then they may be susceptible toward getting cut.

I think most coaches would be reluctant to cut a kid, even if the kid isn't a good player, just because he is Tiered 2. However, if the Tiered 2 kid isn't putting in great effort or isn't being a reliable team member in terms of dedication, then I can't see how a coach would be willing to keep that kid on if he is essentially dead-weight.

Return to “Boys Basketball”