New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Farmer Jim
Waterboy
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:57 am

New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Farmer Jim » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Sounds like both these teams will have a new coach next year. Very surprised about Southeastern. A first year coach takes SE to the regionals and he's done. Who will take over each program? Has anyone heard any names? Could Gary Kellough possibly return to Zane Trace???



Snotnose
Waterboy
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Snotnose » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Need to add Huntington to the topic also. Rumor in the township is Kellogh resigned last week. Three SVC schools looking to fill positions, seems like there were three or four last year too.

danicalifornia
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by danicalifornia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:50 am

4 last year. So going back to 2014-2015, only Paint Valley and Unioto will have coaches from that season.

petesweaty
Freshman Starter
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:37 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by petesweaty » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:31 am

To be honest, I do not know why anybody would want to coach today.
Last edited by petesweaty on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
JV Backup
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:17 pm
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--3rd All Time in Ohio

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by trojandave » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:00 am

Eugene Collins will be coaching his 9th year at PHS in 2017-2018, and he is greatly appreciated by the Trojan community. He has the 3rd longest tenure in PHS history. If Collins can last for that long at a school with the tradition and expectations of Portsmouth, I just don't understand how so many coaches can't seem to put in more than a couple of years at a school. It seems like Zane Trace can't keep a coach, and it can't help the program with that much instability at the top. The situation at Southeastern is really surprising considering their outstanding tournament run.

spartans_fan
JV Backup
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by spartans_fan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:14 am

trojandave wrote:Eugene Collins will be coaching his 9th year at PHS in 2017-2018, and he is greatly appreciated by the Trojan community. He has the 3rd longest tenure in PHS history. If Collins can last for that long at a school with the tradition and expectations of Portsmouth, I just don't understand how so many coaches can't seem to put in more than a couple of years at a school. It seems like Zane Trace can't keep a coach, and it can't help the program with that much instability at the top. The situation at Southeastern is really surprising considering their outstanding tournament run.
The ZT issue has been bad since they ran Kellough off 15 years ago. Once the LSD starts letting parents run off coaches, it is hard to get out of that cycle. What the AD did to the previous coach was underhanded to say the least. It is amazing they have had the same issues.

I do agree, coaching the right way for the right reasons (helping kids) is very had to do in today's society.

Good luck to all.

king kong
Freshman Backup
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by king kong » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:22 am

“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

Coach Martin said it best, we are failing our young people! The silent majority sit back and let a few, vocal, sociopaths dictate what will happen in sports, school and life! Remember this the next time you are at a sporting event and someone starts in on the coach, be that person that tells them to stuff it, let the coach coach, the kid play and the ref, ref!

BigLeagueChew
Waterboy
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:56 pm
Location: Chilly

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by BigLeagueChew » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:01 pm

trojandave wrote:Eugene Collins will be coaching his 9th year at PHS in 2017-2018, and he is greatly appreciated by the Trojan community. He has the 3rd longest tenure in PHS history. If Collins can last for that long at a school with the tradition and expectations of Portsmouth, I just don't understand how so many coaches can't seem to put in more than a couple of years at a school. It seems like Zane Trace can't keep a coach, and it can't help the program with that much instability at the top. The situation at Southeastern is really surprising considering their outstanding tournament run.
Collins had those 2 final fours that helped that.

jibblepie
Waterboy
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by jibblepie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:04 pm

king kong wrote:“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

Coach Martin said it best, we are failing our young people! The silent majority sit back and let a few, vocal, sociopaths dictate what will happen in sports, school and life! Remember this the next time you are at a sporting event and someone starts in on the coach, be that person that tells them to stuff it, let the coach coach, the kid play and the ref, ref!
Yes!

mondayamqb
Waterboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by mondayamqb » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:51 pm

king kong wrote:“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

Coach Martin said it best, we are failing our young people! The silent majority sit back and let a few, vocal, sociopaths dictate what will happen in sports, school and life! Remember this the next time you are at a sporting event and someone starts in on the coach, be that person that tells them to stuff it, let the coach coach, the kid play and the ref, ref!

Spot on! The best way to keep the negative loudmouths in check is for parents or loyal fans to keep them in check.

N2Hoops
Bench
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:11 am
Location: Sciotoville

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by N2Hoops » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:28 pm

king kong wrote:“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

Coach Martin said it best, we are failing our young people! The silent majority sit back and let a few, vocal, sociopaths dictate what will happen in sports, school and life! Remember this the next time you are at a sporting event and someone starts in on the coach, be that person that tells them to stuff it, let the coach coach, the kid play and the ref, ref!

Very good quote, I myself also loved Coach Martin's quote. The issue is that most of those "people in power" will not allow kids to be taught the way kids need to be taught, and by default are expecting less of the kids.

trojandave
JV Backup
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:17 pm
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--3rd All Time in Ohio

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by trojandave » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:27 pm

BigLeagueChew: It always helps a coach when he takes his team to 2 Final 4's, but Coach Collins would still be highly regarded by the fan base and the administration even if those Final 4's weren't on his resume. After 7 straight losing seasons (52-100 from 2003-2009), he took over in 2009-2010 and restored the Trojans to the winning program that for so long has been the standard of SE Ohio basketball.

It seems like the longest tenured coaches are 40 and over.......Collins, Barrick, Persin, Lafon, Caldwell, Combs, Buechler, Stiverson, etc. Of course all of these coaches have winning programs, but most if not all have had to deal with various issues and parents during their careers.

Farmer Jim
Waterboy
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:57 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Farmer Jim » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:17 am

I would like to see Zane Trace hire Gary Kellough again. I think I'd definitely take Kellough over Brian Alley as a coach. Alley had a lot of talent when he was at ZT and I never thought he did as well as he should have. The Slaughter guy from SE would be an interesting choice. He had a nice tournament run, but I didn't watch SE enough to form a strong opinion of him as a coach. From what I saw at the Convo I thought he seemed like a good coach. I'm still shocked that SE fired the guy after he made it to the regionals. I wonder if there is more to that story than we know. Still, I'm hoping they bring Kellough back.

danicalifornia
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by danicalifornia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Farmer Jim wrote:I would like to see Zane Trace hire Gary Kellough again. I think I'd definitely take Kellough over Brian Alley as a coach. Alley had a lot of talent when he was at ZT and I never thought he did as well as he should have. The Slaughter guy from SE would be an interesting choice. He had a nice tournament run, but I didn't watch SE enough to form a strong opinion of him as a coach. From what I saw at the Convo I thought he seemed like a good coach. I'm still shocked that SE fired the guy after he made it to the regionals. I wonder if there is more to that story than we know. Still, I'm hoping they bring Kellough back.
Would be shocked if it wasn't Kellough.

But, with Slaughter, the last SVC school to fire a coach that moved on to another league school quickly is likely regretting that decision, so it wouldn't be the first (or 3rd time) that it has happened recently.

Snotnose
Waterboy
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Snotnose » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:19 pm

DaniC - What SVC situation are you referring to? I don't recall anything recently that has happened like that.

danicalifornia
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by danicalifornia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Snotnose wrote:DaniC - What SVC situation are you referring to? I don't recall anything recently that has happened like that.
My recent examples all took a year off, so it wasn't an immediate happening, but Hoops from Westfall to Unioto, and Mike Patrick from Adena to Zane Trace (that one wasn't as successful).

I was thinking about Lisath at the time when I posted it as well, but he had a longer stint away than I had recalled.

Farmer Jim
Waterboy
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:57 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Farmer Jim » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Looks like Coach Kellough is coming back to Zane Trace. I think that's a great move for ZT.

http://wkkj.iheart.com/articles/local-s ... -15722167/

SHACFan
Bench
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:37 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by SHACFan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Hopefully it goes better than the Logan experiment for Coach K. ZT has a lot of talent and he definitely knows how to bring good teams together, best of luck.

miggyt
Waterboy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by miggyt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Let's just say the SE situation is a question of politics more than actual production. It's true they had a bad regular season, but you can't build a program by churning the head coaching position over every other year. It's that simple. Let's see what happens at SE's board meeting on 4/24. Probably won't change anything, but it might be interesting to attend.

Snotnose
Waterboy
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Snotnose » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Well ZT made their move. So we're down to two SVC schools needing basketball coaches. Who's it gonna be at Southeastern and Huntington? Anyone have any good insight who'll be strolling the sidelines at these spots.

User avatar
Penguin
Waterboy
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Penguin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 am

What was Kellough's record at ZT before he went to Chillicothe?

nice guy
Freshman Backup
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:37 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by nice guy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 am

283-175 62% 1984-2005 (21 years)
Six League titles
No District titles

**According to the Zane Trace basketball website

User avatar
Penguin
Waterboy
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Penguin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:46 am

nice guy wrote:283-175 62% 1984-2005 (21 years)
Six League titles
No District titles

**According to the Zane Trace basketball website

Thanks, my only question is I wonder how long he will stay at this post.

Theburgfan
Waterboy
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Theburgfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:27 pm

miggyt wrote:Let's just say the SE situation is a question of politics more than actual production. It's true they had a bad regular season, but you can't build a program by churning the head coaching position over every other year. It's that simple. Let's see what happens at SE's board meeting on 4/24. Probably won't change anything, but it might be interesting to attend.
According to some friends up that way of mine the coach had already applied at other schools before being told he wouldn't return. Seems to be a theme with this coach only staying 1 or 2 years wherever he goes. I do agree its hard to build a program switching coaches frequently. But as for the board meeting if its like our school all coaches are on a one year contract so basically your never guaranteed a second year.

User avatar
Penguin
Waterboy
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Penguin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Theburgfan wrote:
miggyt wrote:Let's just say the SE situation is a question of politics more than actual production. It's true they had a bad regular season, but you can't build a program by churning the head coaching position over every other year. It's that simple. Let's see what happens at SE's board meeting on 4/24. Probably won't change anything, but it might be interesting to attend.
According to some friends up that way of mine the coach had already applied at other schools before being told he wouldn't return. Seems to be a theme with this coach only staying 1 or 2 years wherever he goes. I do agree its hard to build a program switching coaches frequently. But as for the board meeting if its like our school all coaches are on a one year contract so basically your never guaranteed a second year.
Maybe he had reason to believe he would be non-renewed so he was preparing himself.

The Great Pumpkin
Waterboy
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:23 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by The Great Pumpkin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Well, Zane Trace is bring Gary Kellough back. I think it's pretty obvious what Southeastern should do now. Bring back "The Legend", Larry Jordan!

baseball16
Bench
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by baseball16 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 pm

The Great Pumpkin wrote:Well, Zane Trace is bring Gary Kellough back. I think it's pretty obvious what Southeastern should do now. Bring back "The Legend", Larry Jordan!
RECYCLE < RECYCLE> RECYCLE!!!!

miggyt
Waterboy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by miggyt » Mon May 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Penguin wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 pm
Theburgfan wrote:
miggyt wrote:Let's just say the SE situation is a question of politics more than actual production. It's true they had a bad regular season, but you can't build a program by churning the head coaching position over every other year. It's that simple. Let's see what happens at SE's board meeting on 4/24. Probably won't change anything, but it might be interesting to attend.
According to some friends up that way of mine the coach had already applied at other schools before being told he wouldn't return. Seems to be a theme with this coach only staying 1 or 2 years wherever he goes. I do agree its hard to build a program switching coaches frequently. But as for the board meeting if its like our school all coaches are on a one year contract so basically your never guaranteed a second year.
Maybe he had reason to believe he would be non-renewed so he was preparing himself.
I actually heard the opposite of BurgFan. He was told he wasn't returning as coach, asked about his teaching contract (since that's how he feeds his family) and given a non-commital answer. He applied to another school, then was told that he was being non-renewed as a teacher. He decided to resign because if he made a big fuss then it would be difficult to get a job anywhere.

Theburgfan
Waterboy
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Theburgfan » Thu May 11, 2017 11:39 pm

miggyt wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 3:49 pm
Penguin wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 pm
Theburgfan wrote:
According to some friends up that way of mine the coach had already applied at other schools before being told he wouldn't return. Seems to be a theme with this coach only staying 1 or 2 years wherever he goes. I do agree its hard to build a program switching coaches frequently. But as for the board meeting if its like our school all coaches are on a one year contract so basically your never guaranteed a second year.
Maybe he had reason to believe he would be non-renewed so he was preparing himself.
I actually heard the opposite of BurgFan. He was told he wasn't returning as coach, asked about his teaching contract (since that's how he feeds his family) and given a non-commital answer. He applied to another school, then was told that he was being non-renewed as a teacher. He decided to resign because if he made a big fuss then it would be difficult to get a job anywhere.

He was absolutely not told he was being non renewed as a teacher at anytime. As a matter of fact he is on the board agenda to be hired back as a teacher for the next board meeting. Also it says Rick Strausbaugh will be hired as the varsity boys coach. He himself has stated that to other teachers at SE.

Farmer Jim
Waterboy
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:57 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Farmer Jim » Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm

What kind of experience does Rick Strausbaugh have? I know he was Slaughter's assistant last year, but I don't know what all he coached previously.

miggyt
Waterboy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by miggyt » Wed May 17, 2017 11:37 am

Farmer Jim wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm
What kind of experience does Rick Strausbaugh have? I know he was Slaughter's assistant last year, but I don't know what all he coached previously.
He's been a junior high coach for years. I heard the other day that Chris Skaggs, the former SE standout and Adena girls coach (who coached SE JH last year) will be an assistant.

miggyt
Waterboy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by miggyt » Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 am

Slaughter got the boys job at Cambridge. His teaching contract was, surprisingly, up for renewal at Monday's board meeting, but I don't know if they approved it, or whether it was pulled after the Cambridge deal.

E High
Waterboy
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by E High » Wed May 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Interesting , What's reaction from people from Southeastern ?

KRS
Bench
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:44 am

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by KRS » Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Great hire for Southeastern , figured it was his. I have heard a couple other names thrown around for the assistant position and if they don't want it probably go with Skaggs. Strausbaugh coached junior varsity quite a few years under Jordan . I believe he started coaching under Gary kellough when he was at trace years ago. Went to the girls side and coached JV for quite a few years at southeastern and just recently got back into the boys program under Cox and Slaughter . Probably close to 20 years coaching at all levels .

E High
Waterboy
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by E High » Wed May 17, 2017 5:31 pm

What is reaction from Southeastern on Slaughter's new job ?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4thgoal, danicalifornia, Falcon01, minford17, pfloyd, Smeltzy, Snowman, Yahoo [Bot] and 51 guests