New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Farmer Jim
Waterboy

New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Farmer Jim »

Sounds like both these teams will have a new coach next year. Very surprised about Southeastern. A first year coach takes SE to the regionals and he's done. Who will take over each program? Has anyone heard any names? Could Gary Kellough possibly return to Zane Trace???

Snotnose
Riding the Bench

Re: New coaches at Zane Trace and Southeastern

Post by Snotnose »

Need to add Huntington to the topic also. Rumor in the township is Kellogh resigned last week. Three SVC schools looking to fill positions, seems like there were three or four last year too.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

4 last year. So going back to 2014-2015, only Paint Valley and Unioto will have coaches from that season.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

To be honest, I do not know why anybody would want to coach today.
Last edited by petesweaty on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Eugene Collins will be coaching his 9th year at PHS in 2017-2018, and he is greatly appreciated by the Trojan community. He has the 3rd longest tenure in PHS history. If Collins can last for that long at a school with the tradition and expectations of Portsmouth, I just don't understand how so many coaches can't seem to put in more than a couple of years at a school. It seems like Zane Trace can't keep a coach, and it can't help the program with that much instability at the top. The situation at Southeastern is really surprising considering their outstanding tournament run.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

trojandave wrote:Eugene Collins will be coaching his 9th year at PHS in 2017-2018, and he is greatly appreciated by the Trojan community. He has the 3rd longest tenure in PHS history. If Collins can last for that long at a school with the tradition and expectations of Portsmouth, I just don't understand how so many coaches can't seem to put in more than a couple of years at a school. It seems like Zane Trace can't keep a coach, and it can't help the program with that much instability at the top. The situation at Southeastern is really surprising considering their outstanding tournament run.
The ZT issue has been bad since they ran Kellough off 15 years ago. Once the LSD starts letting parents run off coaches, it is hard to get out of that cycle. What the AD did to the previous coach was underhanded to say the least. It is amazing they have had the same issues.

I do agree, coaching the right way for the right reasons (helping kids) is very had to do in today's society.

Good luck to all.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

Coach Martin said it best, we are failing our young people! The silent majority sit back and let a few, vocal, sociopaths dictate what will happen in sports, school and life! Remember this the next time you are at a sporting event and someone starts in on the coach, be that person that tells them to stuff it, let the coach coach, the kid play and the ref, ref!

BigLeagueChew
Waterboy

Post by BigLeagueChew »

trojandave wrote:Eugene Collins will be coaching his 9th year at PHS in 2017-2018, and he is greatly appreciated by the Trojan community. He has the 3rd longest tenure in PHS history. If Collins can last for that long at a school with the tradition and expectations of Portsmouth, I just don't understand how so many coaches can't seem to put in more than a couple of years at a school. It seems like Zane Trace can't keep a coach, and it can't help the program with that much instability at the top. The situation at Southeastern is really surprising considering their outstanding tournament run.
Collins had those 2 final fours that helped that.

jibblepie
Waterboy

Post by jibblepie »

king kong wrote:“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

Coach Martin said it best, we are failing our young people! The silent majority sit back and let a few, vocal, sociopaths dictate what will happen in sports, school and life! Remember this the next time you are at a sporting event and someone starts in on the coach, be that person that tells them to stuff it, let the coach coach, the kid play and the ref, ref!
Yes!

mondayamqb
Freshman Team

Post by mondayamqb »

king kong wrote:“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

Spot on! The best way to keep the negative loudmouths in check is for parents or loyal fans to keep them in check.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Very good quote, I myself also loved Coach Martin's quote. The issue is that most of those "people in power" will not allow kids to be taught the way kids need to be taught, and by default are expecting less of the kids.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

BigLeagueChew: It always helps a coach when he takes his team to 2 Final 4's, but Coach Collins would still be highly regarded by the fan base and the administration even if those Final 4's weren't on his resume. After 7 straight losing seasons (52-100 from 2003-2009), he took over in 2009-2010 and restored the Trojans to the winning program that for so long has been the standard of SE Ohio basketball.

It seems like the longest tenured coaches are 40 and over.......Collins, Barrick, Persin, Lafon, Caldwell, Combs, Buechler, Stiverson, etc. Of course all of these coaches have winning programs, but most if not all have had to deal with various issues and parents during their careers.

Farmer Jim
Waterboy

Post by Farmer Jim »

I would like to see Zane Trace hire Gary Kellough again. I think I'd definitely take Kellough over Brian Alley as a coach. Alley had a lot of talent when he was at ZT and I never thought he did as well as he should have. The Slaughter guy from SE would be an interesting choice. He had a nice tournament run, but I didn't watch SE enough to form a strong opinion of him as a coach. From what I saw at the Convo I thought he seemed like a good coach. I'm still shocked that SE fired the guy after he made it to the regionals. I wonder if there is more to that story than we know. Still, I'm hoping they bring Kellough back.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Farmer Jim wrote:I would like to see Zane Trace hire Gary Kellough again. I think I'd definitely take Kellough over Brian Alley as a coach. Alley had a lot of talent when he was at ZT and I never thought he did as well as he should have. The Slaughter guy from SE would be an interesting choice. He had a nice tournament run, but I didn't watch SE enough to form a strong opinion of him as a coach. From what I saw at the Convo I thought he seemed like a good coach. I'm still shocked that SE fired the guy after he made it to the regionals. I wonder if there is more to that story than we know. Still, I'm hoping they bring Kellough back.
Would be shocked if it wasn't Kellough.

But, with Slaughter, the last SVC school to fire a coach that moved on to another league school quickly is likely regretting that decision, so it wouldn't be the first (or 3rd time) that it has happened recently.

Snotnose
Riding the Bench

Post by Snotnose »

DaniC - What SVC situation are you referring to? I don't recall anything recently that has happened like that.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Snotnose wrote:DaniC - What SVC situation are you referring to? I don't recall anything recently that has happened like that.
My recent examples all took a year off, so it wasn't an immediate happening, but Hoops from Westfall to Unioto, and Mike Patrick from Adena to Zane Trace (that one wasn't as successful).

I was thinking about Lisath at the time when I posted it as well, but he had a longer stint away than I had recalled.

Farmer Jim
Waterboy

Post by Farmer Jim »

Looks like Coach Kellough is coming back to Zane Trace. I think that's a great move for ZT.

http://wkkj.iheart.com/articles/local-s ... -15722167/

SHACFan
Freshman Team

Post by SHACFan »

Hopefully it goes better than the Logan experiment for Coach K. ZT has a lot of talent and he definitely knows how to bring good teams together, best of luck.

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Let's just say the SE situation is a question of politics more than actual production. It's true they had a bad regular season, but you can't build a program by churning the head coaching position over every other year. It's that simple. Let's see what happens at SE's board meeting on 4/24. Probably won't change anything, but it might be interesting to attend.

Snotnose
Riding the Bench

Post by Snotnose »

Well ZT made their move. So we're down to two SVC schools needing basketball coaches. Who's it gonna be at Southeastern and Huntington? Anyone have any good insight who'll be strolling the sidelines at these spots.

Return to “Boys Basketball”