2017-18 SVC Thoughts/Predictions

mattash
Site Admin

2017-18 SVC Thoughts/Predictions

Post by mattash »

Keep the topics going, what is everyone returning and what is everyone's 2018 outlook

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: 2018 SVC Thoughts/Predictions

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto returns 4 starters (Fisher started 15-17 games) from a team who finished 14-0 in league play and 19-6 overall.

Logan Swackhammer (6'1 Sr, Special Mention All Ohio) and Brandon Kennedy (6'1 Sr) are 3 year starters, both are attracting a lot of interest from colleges. Both have had very good careers and can break Unioto school records (Assists for Swackhammer and 3s Made for Kennedy)

Peyton Hill (6'5 Sr) had a great junior season, especially the final 2 months. He had 28 pts and 9 rebs in the District Finals against VC. He was a 1st team All SVC player and should continue to grow as a player. Depending on pace, he could be a 20-10 player every night. Gabe Fisher (6' Sr) has been a solid piece for the Shermans for 2 years, but a big senior season for him is a huge for the Shermans to reach their ultimate goals.

Newcomers to Watch: Nick Adkins (6'5 Sr), Chance Smith (5'11 Jr), Cade McKee (6'2 Soph), Gabe McBee (6'2 Jr), Justin Manson (5'9 Jr), Hayden Longcoy (5'11 Jr)

The Shermans will be heavy favorites to win another Gold Ball, although Zane Trace and Paint Valley will continue to improve.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Southeastern?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Paint Valley returns 3 starters and one outstanding bench player, but depth will be a major issue for the Bearcats.

Dylan Swingle (6'9-6'11 Sr, 1st team All Ohio) is obviously a monster, as was seen at the Convo against Oak Hill and he can carry them against a lot of teams in the SE District. Dylan could end up the SVC's All Time Leading Scorer with a season similar to this one (VC Head Coach Matt Combs is the current leader)

Bryce Newland (6'2 Soph) and Cruz McFadden (5'10 Soph) both started as Freshmen and were key cogs for the Bearcats. McFadden is an excellent ballhandler and defender and Newland can shoot and rebound very well. Caden Grubb (5'11 Jr) played a major role off the bench, but will be looked on to play more consistent minutes and with his energy level, I think he'll make the change easily.

I think the Bearcats should be one of the favorites in Division 3 to reach the Regionals. They will likely finish 2nd in the SVC and will likely be a 1-3 seed at Waverly for the Sectional tournament.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mattash wrote:Southeastern?
The Panthers graduate 3 starters and I believe 5 rotation players. They had a very good JV team and we all saw Lane Ruby (5'9 Soph) grow before our eyes at the Convo. Rex Hartman (6'1 Sr) was their best player throughout his junior season.

Losing Benson, Bodary, and Smith will really hurt them athletically and size wise, so I can see another rough regular season for the Panthers. They are very well coached and will be competitive, so another tournament run wouldn't surprise me, but as of now, I wouldn't put them above 4th in the SVC for next year.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Westfall will be an interesting team next year. They finished one game out from a three way tie for the league in jv. Sophomore class is very deep and athletic and can guard. Main returners will be sr Austin Nunemaker Point. Noah Aponte 6-2 senior. Jay Wyman 5-8 sophomore 2 guard. Jayden Hammond 6-2 sophomore. Caleb Farmer 5-10 junior guard, Trent Hampton 5-11 guard, Robert Lawler 5-10 junior guard, Marty Link 6-1 junior forward, Clay steel 6-3 senior center.

Obviously inexperience will be the buzz word but there are some reasons to be optimistic. Nunemaker should improve on a double digit average as he takes the reins. Aponte and unknown Steel will provide problems for teams as this league is guard heavy. Wyman will likely be a top 5 three point shooter(before a broken foot injury this year he was a main sub for varsity shooting around 50 percent from three), Farmer is very savvy scorer, Hampton is extremely athletic and can guard very well, Lawler is as fast as anyone in the league and people should get to know the name Jayden Hammond as he will be a stud over the next three years. Hoping for a solid surprising year for the Mustangs but we will see!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

svc_guy wrote:Westfall will be an interesting team next year. They finished one game out from a three way tie for the league in jv. Sophomore class is very deep and athletic and can guard. Main returners will be sr Austin Nunemaker Point. Noah Aponte 6-2 senior. Jay Wyman 5-8 sophomore 2 guard. Jayden Hammond 6-2 sophomore. Caleb Farmer 5-10 junior guard, Trent Hampton 5-11 guard, Robert Lawler 5-10 junior guard, Marty Link 6-1 junior forward, Clay steel 6-3 senior center.

Obviously inexperience will be the buzz word but there are some reasons to be optimistic. Nunemaker should improve on a double digit average as he takes the reins. Aponte and unknown Steel will provide problems for teams as this league is guard heavy. Wyman will likely be a top 5 three point shooter(before a broken foot injury this year he was a main sub for varsity shooting around 50 percent from three), Farmer is very savvy scorer, Hampton is extremely athletic and can guard very well, Lawler is as fast as anyone in the league and people should get to know the name Jayden Hammond as he will be a stud over the next three years. Hoping for a solid surprising year for the Mustangs but we will see!
They will be interesting to see for sure! I think that they are likely in the 4-6 range with SE and Piketon, but I really liked how their JV team played. I think they will definitely be improved and a team to watch out for.

jibblepie
Waterboy

Post by jibblepie »

mattash wrote:Southeastern?
Another new coach. Too bad for the kids and Coach Slaughter.

Return to “Boys Basketball”