2017-18 OVC Thoughts/Predictions

mattash
Site Admin

2017-18 OVC Thoughts/Predictions

Post by mattash » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Keep the topics going, what is everyone returning and what is everyone's 2018 outlook

LetsGoPSU
JV Backup

Re: 2017-18 OVC Thoughts/Predictions

Post by LetsGoPSU » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:55 am

Hoping the Trojans can reload froma much better season than many predicted, Of Course Fairland returns everyone

bbn77
Varsity Backup

Post by bbn77 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:57 am

Should be similar to this year. Fairland and then the rest of the pack with Portsmouth, South Point and Gallia right behind
ROLL PEAKE

trojandave
JV Backup
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--3rd All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 pm

bbn77: I hope I'm dead wrong about the Trojans, but I am predicting a 6th place finish in the OVC......I went to every Portsmouth game last season, and we lost Kendal Reynolds and Mike Malone, our two leading scorers. We do have 3 starters back, but the Trojans will be seriously offensively challenged in 2017-2018. Our JV and freshmen teams were under .500, and there was only 1 standout from those two teams, that being sophomore-to-be Matthew Fraulini, a 6-2 guard. He will be counted on for some much needed offense. Portsmouth will have a hard time outscoring teams, but defensively and athletically should be okay.

I know it's certainly unusual to see Portsmouth in this type of situation, but after seeing all 25 games last season and looking at what we have coming up, I just don't have my usual optimistic outlook on my beloved Trojans. I feel for Coach Collins, because he has done such a great job reviving our program......but 2017-2018 could be a difficult year for him. The OVC will be a conference where most everybody has a lot of starters coming back.

In 3 years, though, I think the Trojans can make a strong comeback.....just maybe a run at the state......not a sure thing, but I feel good about our junior high kids coming up. They weren't the best as far as basketball skills, but I really like their athleticism. Perhaps the whole key looking 3 years into the future is that we keep the kids that we have at Portsmouth HS.

bighead
Varsity Backup

Post by bighead » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Fairland
GAHS the rest will fall in !

trojandave
JV Backup
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--3rd All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave » Mon May 15, 2017 10:37 am

I just might have to upgrade my Trojans from a 6th place finish to a 2nd or 3rd based on some encouraging news about our hoops squad. First, Isaac Kelly, a 6-3, 200 lbs. senior-to-be transferred in from Lewis County, KY. He is a 3 sport athlete, and scored 34 points in his final tournament game at LC. I have seen him in open gym and he looked very good, knocking down 3's and driving strong to the hoop. With the loss of Kendal Reynolds to graduation, Kelly fills a critical need for the Trojans.......a player who can provide some muscle on rebounds and defend the paint, and the ability to score in a variety of ways. He will be eligible to play a full basketball season.

Also, good news regarding sophomore-to-be Matthew Fraulini. The 6-1 Fraulini has starred in AAU play, and recently was selected (made the cut) on a prestigious travel team......only 9 players were selected for the team. I have also seen Fraulini in open gym and he looks ready to provide a big boost in offense for the Trojans, which was my main concern coming into the 2017-2018 season. Fraulini, though, looks to be not just a scorer, but has excellent ball handling skills and plays unselfish team ball as well. 6-3 junior-to-be Myquel McKinley has improved dramatically in this off season, and he will certainly figure in PHS's rotation plans, as he should get very good minutes and possibly challenge for a starting spot.

With 3 starters already back, including 3rd team all district PG DJ Eley, and with the addition of Kelly and Fraulini into the mix, my feeling about the Trojans has completely changed. For the last several years PHS has seriously lacked size. Now, with 6-3 Kelly, 6-3 McKinley, 6-5 Gabe Gambill, 6-2 Daniel Jordan, 6-1 Fraulini, and 6-1 Reese Johnson, the Trojans now have some good length on their roster. All told, the winning ways should continue under Coach Eugene Collins. Although Fairland still looks to be the odds on favorite to win the OVC, the Trojans have the makings of a team that is in much better shape than just 2 months ago.