2017-18 OVC Thoughts/Predictions

mattash
Site Admin

2017-18 OVC Thoughts/Predictions

Post by mattash »

Keep the topics going, what is everyone returning and what is everyone's 2018 outlook

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
LetsGoPSU
SE

Re: 2017-18 OVC Thoughts/Predictions

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Hoping the Trojans can reload froma much better season than many predicted, Of Course Fairland returns everyone

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Should be similar to this year. Fairland and then the rest of the pack with Portsmouth, South Point and Gallia right behind

ROLL PEAKE
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

bbn77: I hope I'm dead wrong about the Trojans, but I am predicting a 6th place finish in the OVC......I went to every Portsmouth game last season, and we lost Kendal Reynolds and Mike Malone, our two leading scorers. We do have 3 starters back, but the Trojans will be seriously offensively challenged in 2017-2018. Our JV and freshmen teams were under .500, and there was only 1 standout from those two teams, that being sophomore-to-be Matthew Fraulini, a 6-2 guard. He will be counted on for some much needed offense. Portsmouth will have a hard time outscoring teams, but defensively and athletically should be okay.

I know it's certainly unusual to see Portsmouth in this type of situation, but after seeing all 25 games last season and looking at what we have coming up, I just don't have my usual optimistic outlook on my beloved Trojans. I feel for Coach Collins, because he has done such a great job reviving our program......but 2017-2018 could be a difficult year for him. The OVC will be a conference where most everybody has a lot of starters coming back.

In 3 years, though, I think the Trojans can make a strong comeback.....just maybe a run at the state......not a sure thing, but I feel good about our junior high kids coming up. They weren't the best as far as basketball skills, but I really like their athleticism. Perhaps the whole key looking 3 years into the future is that we keep the kids that we have at Portsmouth HS.

bighead
All State

Post by bighead »

Fairland
GAHS the rest will fall in !

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I just might have to upgrade my Trojans from a 6th place finish to a 2nd or 3rd based on some encouraging news about our hoops squad. First, Isaac Kelly, a 6-3, 200 lbs. senior-to-be transferred in from Lewis County, KY. He is a 3 sport athlete, and scored 34 points in his final tournament game at LC. I have seen him in open gym and he looked very good, knocking down 3's and driving strong to the hoop. With the loss of Kendal Reynolds to graduation, Kelly fills a critical need for the Trojans.......a player who can provide some muscle on rebounds and defend the paint, and the ability to score in a variety of ways. He will be eligible to play a full basketball season.

Also, good news regarding sophomore-to-be Matthew Fraulini. The 6-1 Fraulini has starred in AAU play, and recently was selected (made the cut) on a prestigious travel team......only 9 players were selected for the team. I have also seen Fraulini in open gym and he looks ready to provide a big boost in offense for the Trojans, which was my main concern coming into the 2017-2018 season. Fraulini, though, looks to be not just a scorer, but has excellent ball handling skills and plays unselfish team ball as well. 6-3 junior-to-be Myquel McKinley has improved dramatically in this off season, and he will certainly figure in PHS's rotation plans, as he should get very good minutes and possibly challenge for a starting spot.

With 3 starters already back, including 3rd team all district PG DJ Eley, and with the addition of Kelly and Fraulini into the mix, my feeling about the Trojans has completely changed. For the last several years PHS has seriously lacked size. Now, with 6-3 Kelly, 6-3 McKinley, 6-5 Gabe Gambill, 6-2 Daniel Jordan, 6-1 Fraulini, and 6-1 Reese Johnson, the Trojans now have some good length on their roster. All told, the winning ways should continue under Coach Eugene Collins. Although Fairland still looks to be the odds on favorite to win the OVC, the Trojans have the makings of a team that is in much better shape than just 2 months ago.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Blue Devils have 8 of there top 9 players back. We do not have a lot of great basketball players. But man we are going to have a ton of good one's. I don't envy coach Harrison this season for many reasons. First of those is his son will be a senior last year he was 7 or 8 man in 9 man team. I have seen nothing off-season but my guess is this year he is the 14 or 15 kid out of about 16 or so that could see varsity time.

Peck and loved at starters up front. Carter will see plenty of time in the 4 or 5 spot also. Then at 3 is evan wiseman, but call is probably a 3 also so is Thomas, so at 2 you probably start call and mcellellend at one but if you can find a great point guard he would be a great 3. Then also you have another carter who can play at 2 blouir as a sophomore may get sometime at one maybe two or maybe he is someone you make play another year of Jc just because. Where you find minutes for Davis and sipple and I am sure I have some kids I am forgetting.

They have been working on pressing entire game at all levels up to varsity. Varsity has only pressed in certain situations or quarters I wonder if that changes this year.
Haven't seen a complete schedule but glad to see Athens on there and hopefully find a couple more really good team to get us ready for post season

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

The league should go Fairland, then GA, then everyone else. Even Gallia Academy will play second fiddle to Fairland this year.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth will be a very good team in 2017, with 3 starters returning (DJ Eley, Reese Johnson, and Daniel Lattimore), two significant transfers (Isaac Kelly 6-3, 200, Deonte Parker 5-10) and a deeper bench led by MyQuel McKinley 6-3, Gabe Gambill 6-5, and Daniel Lattimore 5-10. Matthew Fraulini, a 6-1 sophomore, is ready to make a big impact with a multiskill package, and can play rhe 1 or 2. The Trojans will be a more physical team this year as opposed to finesse from the last couple of years. This should really help on the defensive end. PHS went 17-8 last season, and should match or maybe exceed last year's win total.

The OVC should really be a strong conference in 2017-2018, and Fairland is the obvious choice to win the title for the 3rd consecutive year. Gallia Academy, Portsmouth, Ironton, Coal Grove, and South Point should all field strong teams, with Chesapeake being improved, while Rock Hill may be struggling to move up in the standings.

Here's a fearless prediction for the upcoming season.......the Coal Grove Hornets to the Final 4!! CG has all 5 starters back, led by PG Aaron Music, and is Division 4. Africentric, The Wellington School, and Harvest Prep are all D3, so the path to Columbus at Athens in wide open and there for the Hornets to take the regional title. CG's schedule will be the toughest of any D4 in the SE district, having to play Fairland twice, Portsmouth twice, Ironton twice, Gallia Academy twice, and South Point twice. Don't know what their non-conference slate is like, but it would help them to play someone outside the district. I really believe the Hornets are in for a special season.

The OVC could end up sending at least 3 teams to the regionals, with Fairland or Gallia Academy in D2, Portsmouth/Ironton/South Point in D3, and Coal Grove in D4.

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

1. Fairland 14-0
2. Portsmouth 12-2
3. Gallia Academy 9-5
4. Ironton 8-6
5. South Point 6-8
6. Coal Grove 5-9
7. Chesapeake 2-12
8. Rock Hill 0-14

Just my two cents. OVC should have 6 dangerous teams come tournament time. Like Trojandave, I think the Hornets will make a deep tourney run with D4 being down this year. Tough conference will get them to at least a district title

earp
S

Post by earp »

Dragons headed south for this event over Christmas break.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports ... 19089.html

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

OVC gyms should be rocking this year! Nice pick on the Hornets Dave! Good luck to all teams and stay injury free!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Coal Grove may not actually have a great conference record in 2017-2018, but that by no means diminishes my forecast of them possibly winning the D4 regional in Athens. The OVC conference schedule will be rugged for not just the CG, but for everyone else. The Hornets may have an OVC record of around 7-7, but that's only because of the strength of the league. CG will be well prepared to make a tournament run into late March. The only sticking point with the Hornets may be a lack of size, although they will face a lot of size in OVC play.

Fairland's upgrade in scheduling should help them come tourney time as they venture into D2 waters. As in Coal Grove's case, I don't think any D2 team in the SE district will play as demanding a schedule as the Dragons, as they go outside the state as well as playing Akron St.Vincent St. Mary at the Flying to the Hoop in January. They will be the prohibitive favorite in the OVC, with an excellent chance to go undefeated in league play, but they will tested along the way. Making the state in D2 will be difficult, but very doable for FHS.

Return to “Boys Basketball”