2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Re: 2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Post by JEEPNATION »

art_vandelay wrote:
JEEPNATION wrote:The Jeeps only lost 3 to graduation but they were really good guards in A Blevins, S Zimmerman, and M Shonkwiler! Jeeps will be young next year with 0 seniors on the roster but lots of talent from the other 3 grade levels. Jeeps will be very big and have a really great player in Shiloah Blevins who really was a beast last year! I think Jeeps will start slow in season due to youth but by the end of the year they could be REALLY good!

These are returning kids listed on program roster

6'5" Shiloah Blevins JR *
6'4" Jacob Witter JR *
6'4" Josiah Edwards JR
5'9" Jacob Ruth JR *
6'4" Brayden Bockway SO
6'2" Levi Murphy SO
5'10" Devyn Coriell SO *
5'07" Andrew Smith SO
6'3" JJ Truitt FR *

* is who I'm guessing will start! BUt truly any of the ones listed may start, it's a deep group of young talented kids!

Blevins kid is a stud and the Truitt kid is a name you'll be hearing a lot the next 4 years! He'll most likely be a 4 year starter!
If JJ Truitt is as good as everyone is saying, Webster should be a District/Regional contender next year, and a Regional/State contender the following year. Webster lost 3 solid players, but will actually be deeper next year. Also heard some good things happening for Shiloah Blevins and Truitt this summer. Will be an exciting couple of years coming up for the Jeeps.*
I've seen Truitt a few times and he has a chance to be really good if he continues to grow! You never know how that works out though. Then the younger Zimmerman will be an 8th grader and he has a chance to be special! I think the Blevins kid is going to have a breakout year this year! With the league being so good I just think the Jeeps will take some time before they get rolling. They may head into the D4 tournament at .500 but there won't be a D4 team around they won't be able to compete with!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

jeepnation: thanks for the divisional breakdown above by the way....that took some time and effort on your part and saved a lot of legwork for the rest of us hoops junkies! As for junior high kids in general, like you said, you never know how their game will translate to high school basketball. Guards are easier to project though as opposed to the 6'0" post player in junior high who just got his growth spurt earlier than everyone else.

I also agree about Webster probably being around .500 next year but capable of a deep tourney run. With no seniors they will definitely have some issues early, but should get better and better as the year goes on.*

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

tvc_fan wrote:I honestly believe that Meigs will win the TVC-OHIO this year and make a good tourney run.

I don't think VC will be as good this year without Bartoe or Jones and defenses can focus more on Naylan Yates and Speakman.

Athens loses Lutz, That is huge. Defense will just have to worry about Cozart, and we shut him down last year the 2nd time around.

We lose Musser (12ppg) Kennedy (8ppg) and Mahr (9ppg)
But we return Mattox, Bartrum and Baer and return a great group of bench players and also have a few from JV that will compete for plenty of playing time.

Although it's not a difference in Elite Eight....We could very well be dropping back down to D3.
Of course I have to disagree with your statement about Athens. Everyone knows Lutz is a rare talent and will be missed. However; with Lutz gone I honestly believe Athens will play more as a Team. When an offense is geared toward 3 players, other younger players simply assume their "roles" and simply don't tend to be aggressive or look to score. I think that will change and it will need to change. But to say they won't be competitive because they Lose Lutz gives no credit to the other players who are up and coming. Without hyping them up too much I believe Ath me will be highly competitive next year, especially with the new head coach going into his 2nd season and being more seasoned as well. Just my thoughts. Athens, Meigs and VC will be the front runners next year.

ShooterFlatch
Waterboy

Post by ShooterFlatch »

Saw Rock Hill is replacing their head coach again? NBA style out here in the SE District.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

JEEPNATION wrote:I have lots of free time today so I'm going to copy/paste all the SE Ohio teams new enrollment count to get a look at how many teams will be in each division!

During the last count the enrollment breakdowns for divisions was the following (this number should go up when the competitive balance thing kicks in for each school, but we'll use these numbers just as an example)

Division Enrollment Schools
I 340 and more
II 185-339
III 109-184
IV 108 and less

Based off of the previous count (again, this will change due to competitive balance!) the new breakdowns would look like this.

D1 (340 and more):

Chillicothe 387
Logan 500 (WOW)
Marietta 344

D2 185 - 339

Alexander 204
Athens 318
Circleville 242
Fairfield Union 256
Fairland 205
Gallia Academy 234
Hillsboro 282
Jackson 289
Logan Elm 250
McClain 236
Miami Trace 274
Meigs 204
New Lexington 231
Portsmouth West 191
River Valley 198
Rock Hill 185
Sheridan 299
Unioto 253
Vinton County 253
Warren 294
Washington CH 262
Waverly 228
Westfall 211
Zane Trace 226

The new count would make 24 SE Ohio D2 teams... It was only 19 schools the previous two years! New additions would be: Alexander, Fairland, Portsmouth West, River Valley, Rock Hill, Westfall, and Zane Trace.... should pretty comfortably be 2 District winners!

D3 109 - 184:

Adena 152
Belpre 123
Chesapeake 186
Crooksville 134
Coal Grove 115
Eastern Brown 170
Eastern Pike 124
Federal Hocking 119
Huntington Ross 129
Ironton 155
Lynchburg Clay 136
Manchester 109
Minford 152
Nelsonville York 135
North Adams 132
Northwest 180
Oak Hill 167
Paint Valley 131
Piketon 174
Portsmouth 171
South Point 180
Southeastern 135
Valley 130
Wellston 165
West Union 131
Western Pike 113
Wheelersburg 175

The new count would have 27 D3 teams... it was 29 D3 teams the last 2 years! Western Pike, Manchester, and Coal Grove all hovering around the cutoff mark.. (competitive balance will change this for a few teams!)... Should be two district winners!

D4 108 and less:

Clay 68
Eastern Meigs 96
Fairfield Leesburg 105
Green 79
Ironton St. Joe 18
Miller 82
New Boston 39
Notre Dame 34
Peebles 99
Sciotoville East 81
South Gallia 80
South Webster 103
Southern 87
Symmes Valley 87
Trimble 95
Waterford 78
Whiteoak 102

The new count would have 17 D4 teams... there was 22 the last 2 years!! Unless a few other teams drop down, this looks like potentially only one district winner for SE Ohio!
Just bringing this over to Page 2. The numbers were finalized and I believe there were minimal, if any changes. The divisional breakdowns will be released next Thursday, April 6th.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Why is Coach Miller leaving Western? I haven't heard any rumors about Perdue leaving Western; will have to check my sources!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

trojandave wrote:JeepNation: Thanks for the enrollment info. Very interesting to see some schools moving up or down a division.

Here is my look at the Ohio Valley Conference in 2017-2018:

1. Fairland.......the clear favorite to win the title for the 3rd year in a row, and they will be trying to also go undefeated 3 years in a row.
2. Gallia Academy.......most of their top 8 back and a lot of size with 6-11 Loveday and 6-5 Peck
3. Ironton........has 4 starters back including Charlie Large from injury
4. Coal Grove.......all 5 starters back but could be hurt by lack of size
5. South Point......Tayshawn Fox back along with several others; did lose 3 starters
6. Portsmouth......lost top two scorers in Reynolds and Malone; return 3 starters but will be offensively challenged
7. Chesapeake......most of their roster is sophomores but Panthers could be the OVC favorite in 2018-2019
8. Rock Hill.........outstanding junior Mason Darby back but Redmen don't have the supporting cast

That's a very early look at the OVC which means I will be wrong and some surprises will happen........maybe my Trojans will be one...... :D

I also predict at least 1 OVC school will make the regionals, very possible 2. Fairland can still make the regional at D2 but it will be tougher than it was this past season to make the Final 4.

Hearing that Mason Darby has transferred to Oak Hill. Can anyone confirm? Also hearing Loveday may also be headed to Oak Hill as well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crab's Brother wrote:
trojandave wrote:JeepNation: Thanks for the enrollment info. Very interesting to see some schools moving up or down a division.

Here is my look at the Ohio Valley Conference in 2017-2018:

1. Fairland.......the clear favorite to win the title for the 3rd year in a row, and they will be trying to also go undefeated 3 years in a row.
2. Gallia Academy.......most of their top 8 back and a lot of size with 6-11 Loveday and 6-5 Peck
3. Ironton........has 4 starters back including Charlie Large from injury
4. Coal Grove.......all 5 starters back but could be hurt by lack of size
5. South Point......Tayshawn Fox back along with several others; did lose 3 starters
6. Portsmouth......lost top two scorers in Reynolds and Malone; return 3 starters but will be offensively challenged
7. Chesapeake......most of their roster is sophomores but Panthers could be the OVC favorite in 2018-2019
8. Rock Hill.........outstanding junior Mason Darby back but Redmen don't have the supporting cast

That's a very early look at the OVC which means I will be wrong and some surprises will happen........maybe my Trojans will be one...... :D

I also predict at least 1 OVC school will make the regionals, very possible 2. Fairland can still make the regional at D2 but it will be tougher than it was this past season to make the Final 4.

Hearing that Mason Darby has transferred to Oak Hill. Can anyone confirm? Also hearing Loveday may also be headed to Oak Hill as well.
I have heard those rumors.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

I too have heard those rumors! I'm sure they weren't recruited or anything like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is kind of funny that if Darby goes there, 4 of the 5 starters at Oak Hill are transfers!! hahahah!

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

JEEPNATION wrote:I too have heard those rumors! I'm sure they weren't recruited or anything like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is kind of funny that if Darby goes there, 4 of the 5 starters at Oak Hill are transfers!! hahahah!
Street cred, with a HOF coach a lot of times you don't have to say a word, just PARENTS and kids want to come play for the coach. The perception of parents these days is really a misunderstanding of what wins basketball games and how they are won. For example Parent A "I really like how this coach controls tempo, blah blah blah, when in reality it could be an excellent point guard who moved into the district who is just miles beyond anyone in the SE District offensively so no one can stop him from dictating the tempo.

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Rumors are all over the place. Darby to South Point / Oak HILL due to the fact RH lost yet another Coach and also may want a supporting cast. Who Knows. Loveday to Huntington Prep? Also hearing Webster and Burg may get a transfer. Guess a lot off schools are recruiting or are Players / Parents just wanting better opportunities. Once again Rumors!!

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Sportsman wrote:Rumors are all over the place. Darby to South Point / Oak HILL due to the fact RH lost yet another Coach and also may want a supporting cast. Who Knows. Loveday to Huntington Prep? Also hearing Webster and Burg may get a transfer. Guess a lot off schools are recruiting or are Players / Parents just wanting better opportunities. Once again Rumors!!
What happened to Rock Hill coach?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Rumors of player movement is exactly why doing an OVC preview for the 2017-2018 season is like trying to see through muddy water......but really when it's all said and done, there are very few kids who go elsewhere. HS basketball has its own version of the hot stove league, and it looks as if it's in full swing now.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

I really thought the guy at Rock Hill would stay awhile. Gue? Is that his name? He seemed like a good get for Rock Hill! Was he forced out or simply step down? That is a very tough place to coach basketball

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Was told he stepped down for Family reasons and I agree he was a good fit. Tough job indeed .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I want to stop ANY AND ALL rumors - Pfloyd has not accepted a position on another basketball forum , I will not be taking my talents or the Elite 8 anywhere but here on SEOPs ... just wanted get that out there , once the "r-word" starts flying things get outta control...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:I want to stop ANY AND ALL rumors - Pfloyd has not accepted a position on another basketball forum , I will not be taking my talents or the Elite 8 anywhere but here on SEOPs ... just wanted get that out there , once the "r-word" starts flying things get outta control...
Fake news!

Ive been reading your 'elite 8' of the key west league over the past few days

;)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:
pfloyd wrote:I want to stop ANY AND ALL rumors - Pfloyd has not accepted a position on another basketball forum , I will not be taking my talents or the Elite 8 anywhere but here on SEOPs ... just wanted get that out there , once the "r-word" starts flying things get outta control...
Fake news!

Ive been reading your 'elite 8' of the key west league over the past few days

;)

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of the Florida Keys -Spring Break Week ...

The Upper Keys League

Soldier Key.
Ragged Keys
Boca Chica Island Key
Sands Key.
Elliott Key.
Reid Key.
Rubicon Keys.
Totten Key.
Rodes Key.

The Middle Keys League :

Craig Key.
Fiesta Key.
Long Key.
Conch Key.
Duck Key.
Grassy Key.
*The Marathon Keys :
Crawl Key.
Long Point Key.
Fat Deer key.
Shelter Key.
Vaca Key.
Boot Key.
Knight’s Key.
Pigeon Key

The Lower Keys League:

Little Dock Key.
Missouri Key.
Sunshine Key.
Bahia Honda Key.
Spanish Harbor.
Scout Key.( Summerland Key)
No Name Key.
Big Pine Key.
Little Torch Key.
Meddle Torch Key.
Big Torch Key.
Ramrod Key.
Summerland Key.
Knockemdown Key.
Cudjoe Key.
Sugarloaf Key.
Park Key.
Lower Sugarloaf Key.
Saddlebuch Key.
Shark Key.
Geiger Key.
Big Coppitt.
Rockland Key.
Boca Chica Key.
Racoon Key.
Stock Island.
Key West.
Sisgbee Park.
Fleming Key.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Soldier Key way to high.

sportsgrandpa
Waterboy

Post by sportsgrandpa »

VisionQuest wrote:
tvc_fan wrote:I honestly believe that Meigs will win the TVC-OHIO this year and make a good tourney run.

I don't think VC will be as good this year without Bartoe or Jones and defenses can focus more on Naylan Yates and Speakman.

Athens loses Lutz, That is huge. Defense will just have to worry about Cozart, and we shut him down last year the 2nd time around.

We lose Musser (12ppg) Kennedy (8ppg) and Mahr (9ppg)
But we return Mattox, Bartrum and Baer and return a great group of bench players and also have a few from JV that will compete for plenty of playing time.

Although it's not a difference in Elite Eight....We could very well be dropping back down to D3.
Of course I have to disagree with your statement about Athens. Everyone knows Lutz is a rare talent and will be missed. However; with Lutz gone I honestly believe Athens will play more as a Team. When an offense is geared toward 3 players, other younger players simply assume their "roles" and simply don't tend to be aggressive or look to score. I think that will change and it will need to change. But to say they won't be competitive because they Lose Lutz gives no credit to the other players who are up and coming. Without hyping them up too much I believe Ath me will be highly competitive next year, especially with the new head coach going into his 2nd season and being more seasoned as well. Just my thoughts. Athens, Meigs and VC will be the front runners next year.
Long way until next hoop season. AAU for some, football training and track for others. Butcher playing on high powered AAU team. Saltzmen underway with ALL Ohio they are really good and the All Conf Cozart with a good program . Athens should be good. Hines, Cozart, Dink, Saltzmen four starters return. Why wouldn't they be?

Return to “Boys Basketball”