Unioto 70 Logan 31 final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Unioto 70 Logan 31 final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Unioto 70
Logan 31 final ...

Both teams opened the 2015-16 regular season in Sherman Country Saturday night in the nightcap game of 5 games between the 2 schools - 3 boys games and 2 girls contests ... Logan split the 2 girls games (winning the varsity tilt losing the jv game by 1 point) ... the Chiefs won the Freshmen boys contest by 1 in OT, then handily taking the JV matchup ... which left the boys Varsity to round out the day ... the committee of one - me - has the Shermans of Coach Hoops ranked in the #1 slot in the preseason Elite 8 ...tonights performance only enhanced that ranking in my mind ... Wow ! Logan was taken out of the game right from the opening tip as Erique Hosley controlled the tip to a breaking Cole Cottrill for a two-handed dunk to start the game ... that was as close as the Chiefs would get all night as Hosley/Cotrill combined for 14 of the UHS first quarter 16 points ... Hosley was a man among boys as he owned the paint for 9 points in the quarter ... Unioto 16 Logan 5 end of 1 ... Quarter number 2 showcased the Sherman entire arsenal as Hosley pounded the paint for 5 more points while the "man in training" Isaac Wheeler (Big #2) added 6 more points down low ... the perimeter game was added to the mix as Cole Cottrill (20 pts)/ Branden Kennedy (two 3 pointers in the qtr) ... Logan dented the scoreboard for 12 points (the best qtr. output of the night for the Chiefs) led by Caiden Landis's 6 points ... Unioto 37 Logan 17 intermission ... this one was over as Logan would only score 14 more points in the rest of the contest while Unioto with a constant mix of players (bench/starters) put up another 33 points on the night to take their home opener 70 - 31 a final ...

Pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan

Scoring ... Caiden Landis 10, Lane Little 5, Sam Evans 4, Cole Baron 4, Isaiah Smith 4, Caleb Bell 2, Kory Henthorne 2

3 pointers ... 0/15

FT's ... 3/6

TOs ... 16

... lots of work to be done for the Purple of Logan ... tonights outcome was somewhat predictable in that the majority of the Logan practice time has been teaching the basics , learning a new system, little time - by Coach Kellough's own admission - devoted to the offensive end of the floor ... Chiefs went 0/15 from behind the 3 point line on the night ... Logan made only 1 fg outside of the blocks for the game ... the Purple took only 6 FTs on the night emphasizing the difficulty in establishing any type of inside presence ... a tough game for Logan to open with against arguably the BEST team in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I look for the Chiefs to build on this one ... as LHS gets more comfortable in the Kellough system the Chiefs will improve at both ends of the floor ...

Pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Unioto

Scoring ... Cole Cottrill 20, Erique Hosley 14, Branden Kennedy 9, Logan Swackhammer 8, Clay Edler 7, Gabe Fisher 6, Isaac Wheeler 6

3 pointers ... 9/15 ... Cole Cottrill 4, Branden Kennedy 3, Logan Swackhammer 2

FT's ... 11/20

TOs ... 12

... not sure what else you can say about the Shermans of Coach Hoops ... they may just be the BEST "all around" TEAM in Southern/Southestern Ohio this season ... no weaknesses to scout imo ... the BIGS (more than one) Hosley/Wheeler are not overly tall BUT are as physically strong as you will find - men in the paint ... Hosley can/will/does get to the rim , has a nice touch from block to block ... Wheeler will keep improving in the middle all season, gets to the FT line AND is thick ! ... perimeter offense - Cottrill/Kennedy/Swackhammer ... ability to get to the rim from the perimeter - all of those mentioned PLUS Edler/Lovely/White/Fisher ... ball handling (check) ... defense pressure on the perimeter AND in the paint (check) ... depth - UHS goes easily 9 deep ...

... Tonight's game was a tale of 2 teams , one the Unioto Shermans who have a "system" in place to put a quality product on the court every season while Logan is in the beginning stages of taking a group of players who were in one program last season, placed in a new "system" this season - as the "teachings" of Coach Kellough become "2nd nature" where there is less "thinking" on the court and more reacting , once everything is in place at both ends of the court which won't be until after Christmas - it will be then that the Purple Nation will see "positives" coming each night out for the Logan ball club ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

cbolt
SEOP

Re: Unioto 70 Logan 31 final ...

Post by cbolt »

Dang did they ever get spanked :o

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Thanks for the rundown, pfloyd. Sorry I didn't make it up to the cheap seats last night. Got there late (I hate all day events because of that) and then had to talk to our former statistician at the half.

The Shermans weren't great on the offensive end, besides the 3 point shooting, and definitely have things to work on...post entry, post entry, post entry...but man they were great on the defensive end. Tons of communication and very few second shots.

Logan will be fine. Gotta clean up some things, but I doubt they go 0-15 from 3 again and making some of those will definitely open up the interior. I was a big fan of the sophomore off the bench. He's thin, but competed very well and hard against the bigger bodies the Shermans had.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

daniC ... the more I thought about the game this morning I come away with the overall "strength" of the Shermans - TEAM strength , physical strength to "move" bodies around on both ends of the floor ... I can't imagine a team that is stronger than UHS in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... as you pointed out defense IS the name of the game - when you have TEAM strength/hops as good as Unioto does - there is the makings of another special season imo ...

... it will be fun to see the Shermans as the season moves along ...

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Unioto is the best team in this area

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... keep your eyes on a very very solid, talented Circleville Tiger TEAM ... with 1st year coach Tyler Cassidy who was in the LE coaching system under Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert ... I was very impressed with what I saw in the thumping the Tigers put on Adena at ZT Friday 71-42 ... as I posted Michael Camp might be the best all around player around this season Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... BUT with that said Unioto IS the team I will be comparing all others to this season - THEY.ARE.THE.REAL.DEAL...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens ends the season with Circleville. Lutz is taller and stronger. I wouldn't be surprised if Lutz averages 25 points and 10 rebounds a game this season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Raider6309 - I'm looking forward to seeing Griffin Lutz this season for sure along with Zacchia Saltzman back on the court for the Bulldogs ...has Lutz developed on outside shooting game for this year ? - the lack of being a 3 point shooting threat was the only weakness in his arsenal in seasons past imo ...

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

He looks like he has developed a great midrange shot. Athens has a couple new kids that shoot the ball well from behind the arc.
Athens should start
PG 5'9 Cozart
PG 6' Lutz
SG 6' Saltzman
SF 6'3 Dickleman
C 6'6 Williams
6' Mansfield and 6'1 Lutz off the bench
Athens has great guard play but we struggled to stop Unioto's size. I think we lost 81-72 to Unioto

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Yes they did get schooled by the best team in Southeastern Ohio!

Return to “Boys Basketball”