High School State Tournament

bsee12345
Varsity

Re: High School State Tournament

Post by bsee12345 »

IndianTribe wrote:Have a question for you guys.. A friend and I have been going to the state tournament the last 3 years every game, how do you get the OHSAA pass to stay and eat after the game ? And how do you get the parking pass ?

Thanks in Advance.

You can purchase a package where you have center court seats and do not have to leave between games and I believe it comes with parking access and about $432 a person.
However, the OHSAA employees, the 5 District Boards and others are given all excess passes and do not have to leave between games and head to Huntington Club for meals between games. Included with OHSAA employees, the 5 District Boards and others include family members so your looking a good chunk of people that do not leave the arena between games.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

LucasDavenport wrote:Last game of the day.

So far today the Northeast corner of the state is 3-0

Private schools are 3 for 3.

1 of those 2 will be 4 for 4.

Moeller wins and Private Schools sweep but Cincy claims 1

Jackson wins and Northeast Ohio sweeps but the Public schools claim 1

I'm torn.

And since Moeller is an all boys school---where do they get their cheerleaders?

Deep thoughts at the end of the week.
They have a "sister" school that is literally right next door, which is where they acquire their cheerleaders from. I can't remember which one it is, but I went to college with a girl from the sister school haha

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

End of 1

Jackson 13
Moeller 11

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Halftime and we have perfect vision here at the Schott.

20-20

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Jackson up 32-27. 5:50

Great last game.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Jackson wins 39-38 on a free throw with 4 seconds left.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Great Last game.

Massillon Jackson wins 39-38. Tie game and common foul was called against Moeller with 4 seconds left

Jackson made first. Missed 2nd. Moeller rebounded and called time out. 2.8. Had to go length of court and tried the old Valpo play from the Ole Miss NCAA game. Executed first part but didn't pass and had to take a 40 footer and missed.

Just like 2010. Massillon beats Moeller

Public schools salvaged 1.

Clean sweep for the Northeast

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

that was a helluva game

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

My thoughts on the tournament:

The experience is worth the price. You buy a book of tickets (or 2). I chose the 200 level. Corner row j so you have the wall behind you. You get to know the people around you. The weather on Friday and Saturday made it easier --- simply go outside for 30 minutes maybe less before reentering. No need to leave early or rush outside.

VA St Joe was really good. St Vincent St Mary was really good. Those 2 should play for the D2-D3 title.

Fairland is good but has a ways to go. Reminds me that if you don't have to beat a Central District team to get to the Final 4 then we really don't know if you are ready until you get there. Fairland is better than Archbold though.

There were 4 blowouts. The 2 D4 semis and the 2 D3 semis. 3 were private V public. Harder for the 3 public schools (Fairland, Archbold, Lima Perry) to compete with a private school with D1 players.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

LucasDavenport wrote:My thoughts on the tournament:

The experience is worth the price. You buy a book of tickets (or 2). I chose the 200 level. Corner row j so you have the wall behind you. You get to know the people around you. The weather on Friday and Saturday made it easier --- simply go outside for 30 minutes maybe less before reentering. No need to leave early or rush outside.

VA St Joe was really good. St Vincent St Mary was really good. Those 2 should play for the D2-D3 title.

Fairland is good but has a ways to go. Reminds me that if you don't have to beat a Central District team to get to the Final 4 then we really don't know if you are ready until you get there. Fairland is better than Archbold though.

There were 4 blowouts. The 2 D4 semis and the 2 D3 semis. 3 were private V public. Harder for the 3 public schools (Fairland, Archbold, Lima Perry) to compete with a private school with D1 players.
Having been to the state tourney many times starting at St Johns in the early 80s, I can relate to all your comments and I as well as a lot of other fans from the southeast appreciate your time and effort to provide a in-depth look at all the games and teams playing.........thanks again for your effort.... :!: :!:

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Thank you Bubblegum Tiger. It was enjoyable this weekend. This was a year at the State Tournament in which the 4 Champions could be placed in a separate tournament and you would be hard pressed to pick the champion.

Lutheran East had 3 starters who transferred in this year and another starter who transferred last year. Their 9 losses were to 6 D1 teams and Youngstown Ursuline, VA St Joe's and Cornerstone Christian (last years D4 champ). And Wellington was good enough to beat them.

VA St Joe beat the D2 and the D4 champ. Their big man Gaffney who is a sophomore might have the best upside of any player at the tournament this year. They are 8-2 in the last 5 Final Fours with the only losses coming to Lima Central Catholic. You shake your head when you read on here that some posters wrote that Fairland was the favorite in their game. And, Roger Bacon was in the game on Saturday and could have won.

St V St M handled Wauseon on Saturday but was very fortunate to get by Trotwood on Thursday. Trotwood might have suffered from a little bit of looking past their opponent after beating St V 100-61 in the regular season and beating Dayton Dunbar so easily in the Regional Finals
And St V defeated Massillon Jackson late in the season.

Massillon Jackson and Moeller were very evenly matched and could play 10 times and each win 5. Pickerington Central is probably lamenting their 4th quarter vs Moeller on Friday night. You could make an argument that Trotwood and Pickerington Central were the 2 most talented teams there.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

12 games in 60 hours. Good grief im whipped. Great weekend, except for the $1258753 I spent at the varsity club.

Lol

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

LucasDavenport wrote:Last game of the day.

So far today the Northeast corner of the state is 3-0

Private schools are 3 for 3.

1 of those 2 will be 4 for 4.

Moeller wins and Private Schools sweep but Cincy claims 1

Jackson wins and Northeast Ohio sweeps but the Public schools claim 1

I'm torn.

And since Moeller is an all boys school---where do they get their cheerleaders?

Deep thoughts at the end of the week.
One of the big Toledo schools is also all boys. Their cheerleaders were boys a few years ago at the state and they were actually athletic as hell and really got the crowd into the game.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

The Moeller cheerleaders didn't lead cheers --rather reacted to the cheerblock and to the game.

One Purple Clad Massillon fan was sitting on the very end of the front row by the cheerleaders and was in an ongoing verbal exchange with the little Moeller cheerleader on the end. They were entertaining my wife throughout the game. The fan got the last laugh

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

My favorite State Tournament is still 2009. I had 2 seats in the 7th row behind the bench and St V used that bench both times. That meant we were close to Lebron who was in attendance for both ST V games.

Logan Elm took Thurgood Marshall to OT in that D2 semi. They could have won in regulation and it showed how well coached they were. Thurgood Marshall had Staten that year who ended his career at WVU. He single handedly kept Marshall in the Final vs St V.

Piketon was in the D3 tournament that year and ran into Cleveland Central Catholic.

Oak Hill won the D4 that year. Borden hit a 3 at the end of regulation to tie and another at the end of the 1st OT to tie. Both were low percentage contested deep 3s. Both times Kalida had great shots after to win and both missed. At the start of the 2nd OT you got the feeling that Norm was going to win one. There was a great all time posting on here or the huddle about the timeout conversations between Norm and Borden. Started out with Borden saying he could hit the shot and Norm telling him to shut up to in the 2nd OT Norm asking Borden what he thought they should do. Love to see that thread again

The D1 tournament had Northland and Sullinger and a freshman guard named Burke vs Cincinnati Princeton who had a couple of D1 kids too. The wife and 9 year old daughter of the Princeton Coach were the show during the final. They were more into that game than Greg Marshalls wife.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ugh, that LE game was incredibly frustrating to watch. I watched it with a couple of college coaches who couldn't believe that LE kept shooting when they were up 9 in the 4th. It took a crazy long rebound for Robinson to hit the 3 to force OT for TM, but those things happen. Blake got a great look to end regulation. TM did have more talent, but Aaman, Congrove, Blake, and Hauserman were an extremely talented group.

One of my least favorite coaches was/is the Noth guy from CCC. The amount of ego he spoke with after they beat Piketon was unreal. I know he was/is a really good coach, but it was the cockiest I've ever heard a coach after a game. Glad I saw that his team in NC went 3-19 this season, purely out of spite lol

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Watched the McDonalds All American game last night. Lots of positive talk about Gary Trent Jr.
His fathers jersey hangs in the rafters at the Convocation Center. Trent Jr. Played for California Prolific Prep and Trotwood Madison played Prolific Prep this year losing 100-83.

Villa Angela St Joe played #1 nationally ranked La Lumeire Indiana and took a 85-44 beating. La Lumeire plays at 6:00 today (3/30) on ESPNU in the Dicks Sporting Goods HS National Championships. When I saw in the program that VA St Joe had lost to a team 44-85 I knew they must be good--- just wasn't aware they were #1 in the NATION

Return to “Boys Basketball”