Wellington 50 Waterford 43 (2017 Sweet 16)

mhs95_06
S

Re: Waterford vs. Wellington 3/14 Sweet 16

Post by mhs95_06 »

Waterford played very well be a tall challenge. If they would have hit trey like they did Saturday they'd have been up by more than just a point at half. They did shoot trey better in the 2nd half but the problem was the length of Wellington keeping Waterford from securing rebounds and Waterford fouling in the act of shooting. Waterford led by a point halfway thru the 4th, then fell behind by 3 by giving up a outback. Defense can be a lot different when they are ahead and know the offense has to score to beat them and they guarded to not give up any trey. Best Waterford could do was score 2 by FG or FTs and Wellington didn't turn it over enough or miss enough FTs to let them back into it.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Also, we'll never know who the true champ of 2017 is in D4 boys in the DR district. We do know who it is in girls D4 as it was determined on the court in the playoffs.

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

Waterford out rebounded 44-25, Wellington with 21 offensive rebounds.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Waterford played a very good game. Honestly, the talent gap on those two teams is much greater than the score, so credit to Waterford and their coaches.

Wellington acted like they had never seen a zone. They'll need to figure that out quickly.

This is the kind of group at Waterford that small schools live for. Multiple athletes that play multiple sports.

They played hard, but sometimes you can't overcome size and athleticism.

Shoot_It_From_Deep
Freshman Team

Post by Shoot_It_From_Deep »

I honestly thought that Waterford outplayed Wellington, but, unfortunately Waterford didn't outshoot Wellington. Huge rebounding disadvantage couldn't be overcome and poor shooting when they had open looks did them in. Great season - too bad they couldn't extend it another game. Several good players on this team, but the catalyst (IMO) is Huffman. Always plays 110% and is a true leader would have been nice to have Lang healthy as his athleticism could have challenged Wellingon's bigs down low. Nothing for Waterford to hang their head about in this one.

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

For those of you that didn't stay for the second game you missed a good one. Portsmouth clay defeated Grove City Cristian in double OT. 100-97.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

mhs95_06 wrote:Also, we'll never know who the true champ of 2017 is in D4 boys in the SE district. We do know who it is in girls D4 as it was determined on the court in the playoffs.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Waterford would have won if they had their center. I think they would've had a real shot to win it all. Great season none the less

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

mhs95_06 wrote:
mhs95_06 wrote:Also, we'll never know who the true champ of 2017 is in D4 boys in the SE district. We do know who it is in girls D4 as it was determined on the court in the playoffs.
Maybe this isn't the thread for it, but since we're venting:

As someone who lives close to Central Ohio and has a friend with a boy at a MOCAL school (probably the smallest enrolled conference in the state), it's hard not to agree with that sentiment. At least you guys in the SE district can make it to Regionals. Every year in the Central we have Africentric, Harvest Prep, and Wellington (since they got their new coach) in the District Finals.

Since so many D4 schools in the Central District is private, it's not difficult to separate the recruiting schools from the ones that don't recruit. Once every blue moon will one of the non-recruiting schools have a great class that is poised for a magical season, only to run into a Wellington-type team that has gotten 6 transfers in the last 3 years (all tall and athletic too) and get bounced in the District semis or maybe Finals if they're lucky.

I read an article last fall that made me shake my head. Now admittedly I don't know the story, but Wellington apparently got a good shooting and athletic, 6'4" transfer this year. As a sophomore he started on a good D3 Columbus Academy team. And he decides that he would rather travel across town and play for a D4 team his junior year? Maybe he just liked the school or something or thought it would be his best chance to make it deep in the tournament, but it just seems fishy to me.

Until I started rooting for my friend's team I had been in favor of a separate public/private tournament with the winners facing each other. Then when I looked at it from his perspective, he pointed out that his team had gotten 1 transfer (not a good player) in the last 5 years and had several of players leave. It's still the same issue for the small and rural private schools as it is for the public schools. A separate tournament would help public schools and likely would be supported by most of us on this forum, but the tiny private schools (like in the MOCAL and some independents) would really get hosed.

I'm very interested to see how the whole competitive balance thing works out. I think that'll be a really big help for the situation that I complained about above. Teams like Africentric who constantly have 100+ boys, including many transfers, have managed to stay under the enrollment figures for a D4 school. With competitive balance, I'd have to think they would be bumped up to D3, possibly along with some of the other recruiting teams you see every year. That way the non-recruiting private schools and public schools would be much more balanced.

Sorry for the rant in the wrong place. Just my way of saying that I feel your pain. :D

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Good point. Being a public school in the central district would suc*!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Snowman:

Great post, plenty of good points.

My guess is the bubble will eventually burst for Wellington. They just locked into a league that entails a trip to Zanesville, a trip to Sugar Grove, a trip to Millersport, & two trips out to Lancaster. Grove City and Canal Winchester might not be too bad coming from Upper Arlington, but the road schedule Wellington will play will be very exhausting for the parents. If we see gas reach $3+/gal again, that will eat up the wallets quickly. I think the long drives will be of particular consequence to the junior high teams. I wouldn't be surprised if they start losing athletes coming up because they're getting home pretty late after games.

GCC, FCA, and FC + the MOCAL + Shekinah Christian are pretty obviously the ones that aren't recruiting and stand to lose more basketball players than they gain.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

^Good point on that. I never really thought about the travel times. It definitely will be interesting to see how Wellington does now that they are in a pretty competitive conference and will have plenty of late night road games during the week. Mid-State Cardinal should be tough (and lopsided) in the coming years.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The Wellington model of athletics just might not be sustainable. No football. No volleyball. Fine sports school, but they do not dominate a single sport. Very good at a handful, but they're still in the rear view of Bishop Watterson, St Charles and Academy.

H-back
Freshman Team

Re: Wellington 50 Waterford 43 (2017 Sweet 16)

Post by H-back »

Number 12 for Wellington last night is the player who transferred. He sat out the first 11 games of the season for Wellington. He lead the team in scoring last night and did some dirty work when the two bigs wanted to stand outside

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... when I saw the size inside for Wellington - I wasn't sure how close this one would be ... but as the game played out - Waterford did an outstanding job handling the Wellington 32 minutes of 3/4 court pressure - it was a non factor other than slowing down the Wildcats from getting into their offense ... I thought Wellington is/was very "beatable" - at least in last night's game ... Waterford in the 3rd quarter looked like they had adjusted to the WHS length ... the Wildcats were getting great ball movement, were getting "good looks" from areas on the floor that we are used to seeing them knockdown the 3-balls ... in the end just like in any game - at some point a team has to "hit shots" - Waterford did do that last night ... great season for the Wildcats ... easy to start talking "what if" when you see Wyatt Lang at 6-5ish sitting on the bench ... can't take anything away from TEAM Wildcats - imo they earned their final ranking in my season ending Elite 8 ... I enjoy this year edition of the Wildcats looking forward to see the 2017-18 Edition ... with Mr. Lang in uniform ...

Lovebball42
Freshman Team

Post by Lovebball42 »

My heart goes out to those waterford kids... gave it all they had

Return to “Boys Basketball”