Clay 100 Grove City Christian 97 (2017 Sweet 16)

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Re: Clay vs Grove City Christian

Post by Pantherfan »

Kgg wrote:Decided to go watch both games last night, hadn't been in a while. Both were great games . I call them like I see them. I do think the gccs clay game was decided by the refs. Clay had their 3 studs with 4 fouls early in the 4th quarter and not one of them fouled out , even through two overtimes. Gccs had 2 starters foul out in regulation, their big man fouled out diving for a loose ball, shouldn't have been a foul. Gccs was by far the better team, but as the tournament goes, the best team doesn't always advance. Congrats to clay. 9 out of 10 games gccs wins by 20, no doubt in my mind. I know the clay fans are pumped for the win last night ,but they can't honestly think that game wasn't handed to them. The game changing foul was on gccs point guard when he blocked a guys shot on a fast break from the behind clean, even the clay fans know it was clean. A little bit of a rant, i know. Just a shame that old refs cant run the floor and keep up with the fast paced teams, a lot of gccs fouls were anticipation fouls on the refs, gccs was so quick and athletic I've never seen another team like them. Hats off to clay for sticking in there, good luck

I enjoyed reading this almost as much as watching the game. LOL . Give me a break. Refs are Refs and fans are fans. Stay classy and troll on my friend!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Clay Panthers on a fantastic win........so refreshing to see a game with this score in this day and age of half court, grind it out, slow down basketball. One will have to go way back in the record book to find a regional game where the winning team scored 100 points. I would say that last night's game was probably a record for most points by both teams in a regional game, maybe any HS tournament game at the Convo. I know Middletown beat Portsmouth 102-82 in the 1956 regional semifinal, but that was not at Athens. I can't recall any other regional game where the winning team scored 100 points.

Fairland and Wellston played about 20 years ago in a district game at the Convo, with the Dragons winning 92-90. Scott Lackey had 39 points for Wellston......but that score doesn't really come that close to last night's affair. Of course Clay vs. GCC went into 2 OT though.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Clay 100 Grove City Christian 97 (2017 Sweet 16)

Post by pfloyd »

Great, great game ! it wasn't a "perfect" game by any means but as far as fan viewing pleasure it was AWESOME !!! - let's put the 'referee" issue to bed and not do this game an injustice ... there WERE sequences during this game that BOTH teams could have picked up 4 or 5 fouls on ONE play LOL ...the officials let them "git after it! - figuratively and literally ... in a couple of 10 second loose ball sequences I had pencil lead flying trying to stay up with turnovers and body parts going one direction and another ... BUT there was no advantage gained by either team - the fouls called on the GCC players that fouled out - they were earned ... just as the fouls that the Clay players were called for - they were as well ...

... the stats for this one have been posted ... I got home last night and read the rundowns, the in game updates by everyone - great job LucasDavenport ... my 2 to 3 finger typing would never be able to do in game updates ... the folks who were not at the game I'm sure totally appreciate it ...

... there WERE some key points in the game - some were obvious ones others "you had to be in the Cheap Seats to see" ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Grove City Christian ...

Scoring ... Brandon Baker 22, Matt Bailey 19, Brandon Balnoschan 17, Noah Tomlinson 13, Hunter Oda 12, Clayton Shoemaker 7, Stevie Whinham 5, Alec Sliemers 2
3 Pointers ... 10/23 ... Brandon Balnoschan 5, Brandon Baker 3, Matt Bailey 1, Stevie Whinham 1
FTs ......... 17/28 ... 0/4 in the first OT was HUGH ... 3 missed FTs in the 4th by Bailey/Baker HUGH to allowing Clay to tie it in regulation ...
TO's ........ 17 ... Clay turned them over 11 times in the 3rd & 4th qtrs.
PntP ... 46
Points in Transition ... 10

... GCC had this one right where they wanted it in the 3rd ... getting separation at one point up 14 pts, Clay was in foul trouble , GCC players were feeling the "W" - #0 for GC drove baseline for a bucket & was fouled ... the GCC player did one of those "stare down looks at the Clay player as he stood over him" as I jotted it down on my napkin with an asterisk as I THOUGHT this was going to be a "moment" if clay could get back to win it - and they did ... at 3:51 in the 3rd GCC was up 51-40 ... at 2:24 55-45 GCC ... end of 3 60-50 Grove City ... the 4th quarter had GC going 6/9 from the FT line ... the key was they could not stop Cameron King (13 points in the 4th) and an unsung hero was Brody Riffe for Clay who dropped 14 points in the Clay run, 8/9 from the FT line as Riffe was bringing the Panthers back with the clock stopped ... the Hinze 3 ball from the corner ... Clay took the GCC hits for the first 3 quarters then punched GC in the mouth in the 4th ... 75-75 end of regulation ... GCC should have got the "W" in the 1st OT as Brandon Baker looked like a man possessed with 7 points in the OT but GC's 0/4 shooting from the line gave the Panthers ALL of the daylight needed to AGAIN extend the game - I have to give props to Caleb Kline as the young man came off the bench when Anthony Williams fouled out for Clay ... Kline had 2 BIG TIME FTs for Clay to tie this one up ... 84-84 at the end of OT numero uno ... Clay opened up a HUGE 86-91 lead with 2:35 to play only to see GC's Whinham/Balnoschan drop back to back treys ... enter Caleb Kline for a big time putback ! ... Clay 96 GCC 95 :42.4 to play ... the Panthers 98-95 :19 mark ... Gilliland for 2 FTs ... and appropriately Cameron King finished off the Panther scoring , pushed the winning point total to the century mark of 100 by dropping 2 FTs with :06 to play ... Clay 100 GCC 95 ... Grove City finished IT'S scoring with an uncontested layup to end their season ... Portsmouth Clay 100 Grove City Christian 97 double OT final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Portsmouth Clay ...

Scoring ...Cameron King 27, Cole Gilliland 23, Brody Riffe 20, Nate Hinze 18, Anthony Williams 8, Caleb Kline 4
3 Pointers ... 6/18 ... Nate Hinze 2, Cole Gilliland 2, Cameron King 1, Brody Riffe 1
FTs ..... 26/40 ... 5/5 in the 2nd OT ... 4/6 in OT #1 ...
TO's ..... 17 ... 16 were in the first 3 quarters ... the Panthers went qtr 4 with "0" TOs ... 1 TO in OT #1 and "0" TOs in the final 4 minute OT ...
PntP .... 50
Points in Transition .... 4

... great TEAM "W" ... at one point in the 4th Clay had 4 players with 4 personal fouls ... Williams eventually fouled out in the first OT that opened the door for Caleb Kline to be ONE OF the "prime time" players with 4 HUGE points ... Brody Riffe - OUTSTANDING as he along with King kept Clay in contact with GCC - hitting timely FTs and inside buckets ... Cameron King/Cole Gilliland/Nate Hinze ? they're three 1000 point guys - they can score the ball !!! and did !!! Best of Luck vs Wellington !!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote:Congratulations to the Clay Panthers on a fantastic win........so refreshing to see a game with this score in this day and age of half court, grind it out, slow down basketball. One will have to go way back in the record book to find a regional game where the winning team scored 100 points. I would say that last night's game was probably a record for most points by both teams in a regional game, maybe any HS tournament game at the Convo. I know Middletown beat Portsmouth 102-82 in the 1956 regional semifinal, but that was not at Athens. I can't recall any other regional game where the winning team scored 100 points.

Fairland and Wellston played about 20 years ago in a district game at the Convo, with the Dragons winning 92-90. Scott Lackey had 39 points for Wellston......but that score doesn't really come that close to last night's affair. Of course Clay vs. GCC went into 2 OT though.
Lackey graduated in 91...but good throwback example

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Was at this game and reading the 6 page game updates on here is fantastic. Helps to re live this one. I bet others that were there agree. Can still feel the emotional roller coaster. So proud of our boys effort. A big shout out to those posters.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

trojandave wrote:Congratulations to the Clay Panthers on a fantastic win........so refreshing to see a game with this score in this day and age of half court, grind it out, slow down basketball. One will have to go way back in the record book to find a regional game where the winning team scored 100 points. I would say that last night's game was probably a record for most points by both teams in a regional game, maybe any HS tournament game at the Convo. I know Middletown beat Portsmouth 102-82 in the 1956 regional semifinal, but that was not at Athens. I can't recall any other regional game where the winning team scored 100 points.

In 84 or 85 Portsmouth West scored over 100 at the convo against Thorneville Sheridan. They scored in the 90s I believe. Juse can't remember the final.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

BigBlueNation: I remember that West team that had Boyce Jordan as one of their top players.......that Senator team went undefeated in the regular season and lost to Steubenville in the regional 60-57 to finish 23-1. Thanks for the reminder on that.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

trojandave wrote:BigBlueNation: I remember that West team that had Boyce Jordan as one of their top players.......that Senator team went undefeated in the regular season and lost to Steubenville in the regional 60-57 to finish 23-1. Thanks for the reminder on that.
Your welcome "trojandave". That was a great Basketball team.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

BigBlueNation wrote:
trojandave wrote:BigBlueNation: I remember that West team that had Boyce Jordan as one of their top players.......that Senator team went undefeated in the regular season and lost to Steubenville in the regional 60-57 to finish 23-1. Thanks for the reminder on that.

West also had with 6'4 Jordan was three other bigs around 6'6 and 6'5, Tuel, burchett and Kelly shy? Their other guard was 5'10 but was all around player in Hamilton. For mid 80's that was a big team for a little county school
Last edited by 14U on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

14U wrote:
BigBlueNation wrote:

West also had with 6'4 Jordan was three other bigs around 6'6 and 6'5, Tuel, burchett and Kelly shy? Their other guard was 5'10 but was all around player. For mid 80's that was a big team for a little county school
I remember that team, they were tough! It's been a long time since West has had a good team I'd like to see them get back to being a good program!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

JEEPNATION wrote:
14U wrote:
BigBlueNation wrote: Your welcome "trojandave". That was a great Basketball team.

West also had with 6'4 Jordan was three other bigs around 6'6 and 6'5, Tuel, burchett and Kelly shy? Their other guard was 5'10 but was all around player. For mid 80's that was a big team for a little county school
I remember that team, they were tough! It's been a long time since West has had a good team I'd like to see them get back to being a good program!
It was Kelly Himes not Shy. Chris Hamilton was other guard very good player.

Return to “Boys Basketball”