Clay 100 Grove City Christian 97 (2017 Sweet 16)

peake71
All Conference

Re: Clay vs Grove City Christian

Post by peake71 »

Thanks for all the updates. I will be there Friday night for the final. Go Clay.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

93Bulldog wrote:Maybe one of the best games I have ever watched. Unreal.

lol
Truly a TEAM game. Both teams with 4 in double figures. Yep. Unreal.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

LucasDavenport wrote:Some GCC player hit another 3. He is having a great Game Brandon Something.

42-31. Half.
Clay definitely held it together. Congrats on great win.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Brandon Balnoschan. Thanks Chuck Greenslate!!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Congrats Clay! No upset here! This game played out the way I thought it would.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

I really didn't think clay had a shot in this one. Glad to be wrong. Big time comeback in the 4th. Congrats to the boys!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Great game from the Cheap Seats at the Convo ! Wow! King carried the Panthers with 13 pts in the 4th to get Clay back in it ... could have won going away in regulation had they made FTS but then again I wouldn't have seen 197 points scored either! Great game ! Thanks for joining Pfloyd in the Cheap Seats 93bulldog ! We've watched some good ones over the years haven't we!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Great updates and congrats to Clay

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I realized when someone is giving updates tonight that it's hard to continue to post quickly when others post. It kicks it back to you and at least 5 times I lost the post entirely. Now I know not to comment when someone else is updating.

Now I will say that I too am very happy to have been wrong. I tried to do it in a very respectful way and I think we should always be truthful (not harmful) on here. I truly didn't think Clay had a chance.

And here's why.
D2 District Semi. Eastmoor 54 Desales 51 OT. And I know Desales is good. Eastmoor is good. They then went to the Central District Finals.

Eastmoor 61 Columbus South 49. These are the 3 best Division 2 Teams in the Central District. South seeded #1
Desales Seeded #2. Eastmoor District Champions and seeded #3.

January 9. At Desales. GCC 76 Desales 73 OT.

Clay just beat that team.

GCC beat #1 seed Division 4 Central District Best Harvest Prep 2 out of 3 times including the District Final

GCC beat Newark Catholic twice. By 31 in the District Semis.

No SE District Team in D4 had beaten a Central District Rep at the Regionals since 2009. That was 10 straight losses. 10.

Clay just took all of that and said

CAN I HAVE ANOTHER?

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Just got home from the game wow!! The Panthers scored 50 points total in the 4th and overtime. King,Gilliland,Riffe played the entire game . Hinze only about a 45 second break. These senior boys along with Williams and Cline played their hearts out. King led with 27 points and 22 in second half. Gilliliand Hinze and Riffe all scored near 20. So proud of these boys and now get ready for regional final. Go Panthers!! Truly a team!

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

That was one of the best games that anyone could watch. A lot of people were not giving Clay a chance and The Boys from Rosemount just showed you how they feel about no chance. I think this makes 21 in a row for them. And of course, the ones that gave them no chance tonight will be on the next thread and give them no chance again. GCC beat a lot of good teams, but they didn't beat Clay. If they played it on paper, there would be no reason to show up. But once they jump center, it is anyone's game. And tonight the better team earned a trip back to the Convo for a chance to go to the final four. Congratulations to the Clay Panthers, the coaches, the school, the fans and the community. You boys earned the right to play another day. Good luck Friday and earn a trip to the final four.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Best games I have ever watched at the Convo:

Regional Final 1989 ? I believe. Thanks Madness!!
Wehrle beats Beaver Eastern. I think it was 79-78 and can't remember if OT was played. It was 30' years ago!!

Sitting at The Convo with the non partisans. Behind me a father says to his son --/ son the only chance That little team has vs that Big Team is if they hold the ball..

Eastern didn't go to the Regional Finals to Hold The Ball!!

Came up just a little short.

1989 Regional Finals. 1991?
Burg beats Chesapeake (Norm) in OT. I remember reading the paper in Columbus after this loss or after the next time Chesapeake (Norm) lost in the Regional Finals--- Norm was lamenting losing in his 4th or 5th Regional Final without advancing to Columbus and compared himself to Roy Williams. (I believe that was the reference as Roy couldn't get over the Top at KU).

Peake held the ball in a Tie game for the last 4:00 minutes of regulation. Not uncontested by half court (i.e. SE) but rather running their motion or flex offense within 20 feet of the basket. Their best player got an open elbow jumper very very late and missed it. ( you can lead a horse to water...). Burg won in OT. Lost in 2ot to North College Hill Pre OJ Mayo in the final 4 (and you thought North College Hill only tortured The Burg in this century). Some kid who averaged less than 10 a game went off for 29 ruining Mcgraws 34 for Burg. Burg was ranked by USA Today somewhere between 20-25 in the NATION the next preseason. And you thought PFloyds ratings were cool....

1984 District Final. Wheelersburg upsets Portsmouth coming back from Double Digits in the last 3:00 before the 3 point shot.

1982 Regional Finals. Burg beats Martins Ferry in a high scoring 75-73 type game to advance to the Final 4. The Martins Ferry crowd FILLED 6 sections in the Convo top to bottom and they would cheer P -U - R - P -L -E R- I - D-E-R-S. each section responsible for 1 letter. Purple Riders !! I didn't know where Martins Ferry was nor their history (Niekros, Havlicek) but man they were cool. Paul Newman had 42 for Burg. John Eaton was coach.

Side note. I miss Chris Eaton. If you dared stay in the lower bowl in the Wheelersburg Section past your game she was going to throw popcorn at you and---- hey you deserved it!!

1979 District Finals Ironton 46 #1 and defending state champion Portsmouth 44. First game I watched in the Convo. You knew you were watching somethIng special. I remember watching Craig Tubbs after that loss. He was a classy guy. ( no sarcasm). He was the real deal.

Best game I ever listened to on the Radio?

3-14-17. Pi day.

2017 Regional Semi. Portsmouth Clay 100 Grove City Christian 97. 2 OT. Clay down 47-33 in 3rd qtr. 60-50 after 3. Didn't matter. Panthers move on to the Regional Final. Friday at 7:00. Athens, Ohio.
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Madness wrote:That was one of the best games that anyone could watch. A lot of people were not giving Clay a chance and The Boys from Rosemount just showed you how they feel about no chance. I think this makes 21 in a row for them. And of course, the ones that gave them no chance tonight will be on the next thread and give them no chance again. GCC beat a lot of good teams, but they didn't beat Clay. If they played it on paper, there would be no reason to show up. But once they jump center, it is anyone's game. And tonight the better team earned a trip back to the Convo for a chance to go to the final four. Congratulations to the Clay Panthers, the coaches, the school, the fans and the community. You boys earned the right to play another day. Good luck Friday and earn a trip to the final four.
We'll said!

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

sean.king wrote:
LucasDavenport wrote:GCC misses 3. Misses another!! Rebound Clay!! King shooting 2. 6 seconds.
Is that Cameron King....?
Yes

panther2010
Waterboy

Post by panther2010 »

Great game it was to watch tonight and glad I got to see it in person and one thing it showed was to never count out a team in playoff basketball good job clay keep it rolling

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Lucas, that Eastern vs Werhle game I think was 1989. I believe Cameron King had an uncle on that team. The Leist boys and the Hale boy for Eastern had their dads on that team also.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

LucasDavenport wrote:Best games I have ever watched at the Convo:

Regional Final 1989 ? I believe. Thanks Madness!!
Wehrle beats Beaver Eastern. I think it was 79-78 and can't remember if OT was played. It was 30' years ago!!

Sitting at The Convo with the non partisans. Behind me a father says to his son --/ son the only chance That little team has vs that Big Team is if they hold the ball..

Eastern didn't go to the Regional Finals to Hold The Ball!!

Came up just a little short.

1989 Regional Finals. 1991?
Burg beats Chesapeake (Norm) in OT. I remember reading the paper in Columbus after this loss or after the next time Chesapeake (Norm) lost in the Regional Finals--- Norm was lamenting losing in his 4th or 5th Regional Final without advancing to Columbus and compared himself to Roy Williams. (I believe that was the reference as Roy couldn't get over the Top at KU).

Peake held the ball in a Tie game for the last 4:00 minutes of regulation. Not uncontested by half court (i.e. SE) but rather running their motion or flex offense within 20 feet of the basket. Their best player got an open elbow jumper very very late and missed it. ( you can lead a horse to water...). Burg won in OT. Lost in 2ot to North College Hill Pre OJ Mayo in the final 4 (and you thought North College Hill only tortured The Burg in this century). Some kid who averaged less than 10 a game went off for 29 ruining Mcgraws 34 for Burg. Burg was ranked by USA Today somewhere between 20-25 in the NATION the next preseason. And you thought PFloyds ratings were cool....

1984 District Final. Wheelersburg upsets Portsmouth coming back from Double Digits in the last 3:00 before the 3 point shot.

1982 Regional Finals. Burg beats Martins Ferry in a high scoring 75-73 type game to advance to the Final 4. The Martins Ferry crowd FILLED 6 sections in the Convo top to bottom and they would cheer P -U - R - P -L -E R- I - D-E-R-S. each section responsible for 1 letter. Purple Riders !! I didn't know where Martins Ferry was nor their history (Niekros, Havlicek) but man they were cool. Paul Newman had 42 for Burg. John Eaton was coach.

Side note. I miss Chris Eaton. If you dared stay in the lower bowl in the Wheelersburg Section past your game she was going to throw popcorn at you and---- hey you deserved it!!

1979 District Finals Ironton 46 #1 and defending state champion Portsmouth 44. First game I watched in the Convo. You knew you were watching somethIng special. I remember watching Craig Tubbs after that loss. He was a classy guy. ( no sarcasm). He was the real deal.

Best game I ever listened to on the Radio?

3-14-17. Pi day.

2017 Regional Semi. Portsmouth Clay 100 Grove City Christian 97. 2 OT. Clay down 47-33 in 3rd qtr. 60-50 after 3. Didn't matter. Panthers move on to the Regional Final. Friday at 7:00. Athens, Ohio.
There was a triple overtime game at the Convo between Ironton and Westfall when Dennis Gaigia and Waginger played for the Tigers. I don't know if it was as good as last nights game - but it too is up there.

Also, Dante Jackson hitting a game winner vs Vinton County in front of more than 10,000 was pretty sweet as well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:Great game from the Cheap Seats at the Convo ! Wow! King carried the Panthers with 13 pts in the 4th to get Clay back in it ... could have won going away in regulation had they made FTS but then again I wouldn't have seen 197 points scored either! Great game ! Thanks for joining Pfloyd in the Cheap Seats 93bulldog ! We've watched some good ones over the years haven't we!
hahaha this one will rank in the top 5 for years to come!

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

We are quick to turn on officials.Thought the game with all the action was very well officiated. A little shout out to those 3 men for being a part of the game.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

93 Bulldog

Those were both great games

I didn't see them in person.

Return to “Boys Basketball”