Varsity

Re: IVC powers headed to the convo

Post by TVC »

Yoder Miller festival in Athens.

earp
S

Post by earp »

I see Amish!Amish everywhere! :mrgreen: But seriously though they can play some ball up there.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Fairland beat Garaway earlier in the year already - handily I believe ...

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

pfloyd wrote:Fairland beat Garaway earlier in the year already - handily I believe ...

Yes it was. I believe it was about a 20 point game. If everything falls in place Hiland will be a tough out for fairland

ROLL PEAKE
Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

Yea but Garaway is toldley different team now, got off to a slow start because of there football playoff run, started out 0-3 ,were 4-4 to start the new year ended up going 12-2.i know Fairland beat Garaway back​ in late December by a score of 80-55.if there is a rematch it will be alot closer.as for my Hawks,if you like tight man to man defense,you better have good guards to handle the ball, because Hiland has three quick guards,and the one senior guard is supper quick, have a couple 6'3" guys,the one is our leading scorer,can 8 deep on the bench

JV Team

Post by 1906 »

should be some nice match ups

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

I know Hiland has the name and profile, but I'd truly be shocked if either IVC makes it to state. Those dragons have such a great group together, smart guards and long big men. I definitely love those dragons to make it to columbus. Hiland will hurt from the size because I don't think their pressure will take Fairland out of their game.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fairland is the favorite. If Hiland gets on fire though watch out.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Of course, which is always possible. and you never know how a team in the situation for the first time handles the stage. All juniors could struggle, or they might handle it just fine. However, Hiland will have the coaching advantage. And that is big advantage in tourney time.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

allOhiotraveler wrote:Of course, which is always possible. and you never know how a team in the situation for the first time handles the stage. All juniors could struggle, or they might handle it just fine. However, Hiland will have the coaching advantage. And that is big advantage in tourney time.
Just because a coach extorts more control over his team and offensive movement doesn't mean they have the advantage. Fairland plays a fast paced, loose run and gun style, and it allows them to maximize THEIR ability, this team's ceiling wouldn't be as high if they were say being forced to play half-court and run flex for 2 minutes a possession.

hoops37
Waterboy

Post by hoops37 »

Hawks1112 wrote:Yea but Garaway is toldley different team now, got off to a slow start because of there football playoff run, started out 0-3 ,were 4-4 to start the new year ended up going 12-2.
A novel concept that a football school can get off to a slow start in basketball. At least some fans get it. Reading Wheelersburg threads and threads about the Holden boy, the lack of this understanding at Wheelersburg is comical.

Football legs exist. Lack of time in the gym shooting the ball exists. Lack of team chemistry exists.

I"m not for advocating one sport athletes, I am for advocating that you might get off to a slower start than one would like in basketball due to your football team and/or football players.

Please post more on this board. Need knowledgeable posters here badly.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

hoops37 wrote:
Hawks1112 wrote:Yea but Garaway is toldley different team now, got off to a slow start because of there football playoff run, started out 0-3 ,were 4-4 to start the new year ended up going 12-2.
A novel concept that a football school can get off to a slow start in basketball. At least some fans get it. Reading Wheelersburg threads and threads about the Holden boy, the lack of this understanding at Wheelersburg is comical.

Football legs exist. Lack of time in the gym shooting the ball exists. Lack of team chemistry exists.

I"m not for advocating one sport athletes, I am for advocating that you might get off to a slower start than one would like in basketball due to your football team and/or football players.

Please post more on this board. Need knowledgeable posters here badly.
Then what's the excuse for Burg losing in sectionals to a lesser team? Football legs? disappointing season!

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

N2Hoops wrote:
allOhiotraveler wrote:Of course, which is always possible. and you never know how a team in the situation for the first time handles the stage. All juniors could struggle, or they might handle it just fine. However, Hiland will have the coaching advantage. And that is big advantage in tourney time.
Just because a coach extorts more control over his team and offensive movement doesn't mean they have the advantage. Fairland plays a fast paced, loose run and gun style, and it allows them to maximize THEIR ability, this team's ceiling wouldn't be as high if they were say being forced to play half-court and run flex for 2 minutes a possession.

I think he was simply alluding to the fact that the Hiland basketball program and coach Schlabach have a great history of tournament success. I believe he has coached them (and Loudonville) to the final four on 4 or 5 occasions in the past decade or so with a pair of state championships. They are one of the most storied small school programs in Ohio. If both are fortunate enough to get to the regional final I'm sure it will be a great game.

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

The score predictor sports website says
Fairland. 66
Garaway. 50

Hiland. 61
Ross S.E. 34
See how close they are

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

N2Hoops wrote:

I did not mean to strike a nerve with a Dragon fan. ;) but trust me, I think Fairland is the most talented team in the region! However, a great coach always knows how to make a game close. With a team that hasn't made it to this point before, a group of talented juniors might feel the pressure or not know what to do because of lack of experience.

Trust me, I believe Fairland will win. They are a phenomenal team. But you underrate Mark Schlabach and you WILL get burned.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Interested to see if Hiland just runs this SE team ragged or with this SE just keep hanging around until they can strike in the fourth quarter.

Hoop Wizard
Waterboy

Post by Hoop Wizard »

All I can say about Coaching Advantage or "disadvantage" in this game or any other game is that some teams do have better coaches than others and it definitely makes a difference. There are times in a game when a run-and-gun team can shoot their way or run their way out of a win. Sometimes you do have to "pull in the reigns" and be more selective. 16 to 18 year old kids don't always make the best decisions and discipline wins out every time. I'm an OVC guy and would like to see the Dragons bring home the crown- but I was also at the Lynchburg Clay game last year and watched a younger Dragon team shoot their way out of a win! They went away from Van Horn who dominated the early part of the game and took many "ill advised" shots with a comfortable lead and watched the game slip away. Say what you want and this is not a slam to anyone- you have to coach every bounce of the ball!

Return to “Boys Basketball”