Coaching Vacancies

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Sportsman wrote:WOW. Maybe Slaughter can relocate at Western. Why did Miller leave? Or ZT?
With Perdue leaving, I do not know if he will want that job.

BobcatFuture1
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatFuture1 »

SWJeeps22 wrote:
Sportsman wrote:WOW. Maybe Slaughter can relocate at Western. Why did Miller leave? Or ZT?
Heard the same, hopefully the Cats can win the league now! Go Cats. Green capable , we will see if they put in the work.

Farmer Jim
Waterboy

Post by Farmer Jim »

bman wrote:
jibblepie wrote:
Sid Farkus wrote:
Saying Skeens is lower D1 or top D2 is underestimating her abilities. She already has approximately 15 D1 offers that include Xavier, Cincinnati, Ball State and others. These are not teams that are looking at her, these are full ride offers. There are other major D1 schools that are recruiting her, but have not offered, such as Dayton and Florida. Don't get on here and downplay her ability. She is the real deal and she has the offers to prove it.
Skeens is very talented. Adams has somewhat underachieved in the tournament, but has done his job well in league play. That Eastern team they ran into in the tournament was just deeper and more talented overall, so it is easy to see why they would have lost to them.

Who would even want this job at this point?
I have no dog in the fight, but I think folks at SE had overinflated expectations. SE did beat Miami Trace and Amanda during the regular season, both solid wins, but top-to-bottom, D3 in the SE this year was tougher than D2. They needed to have another Skeens or Wheeler quality of player to get to where they wanted to be in D3.
With all due respect to the SE girls coaching staff, the SVC was so down there was no way they weren't going to win that league. Concerning the folks at SE that bman claims had overinflated expectations. Remember, their volleyball team and boys basketball team both went to the regionals. Why shouldn't they expect their girls basketball team, which has the most talent, to do just as well or better. Then, when you see that they got rid of their boys coach after making it to the regionals, it just seems confusing to most of us.

Tigerfan92
Waterboy

Post by Tigerfan92 »

SWJeeps22 wrote:
No one really talks about why Southeastern was 5-17 going into the tourney if he was doing a good job. The SVC was not that good this year and Div 3 tourney was as bad as its been in years. Don't let one years tourney success at the end of the year determine whether you will have long term success as a coach. (See next paragraph.) Not saying he is or is not a good coach. Just wondering what happened in season.

Word has it Kyle Miller will be helping Travis at Waverly next year. I have watched Kyle Miller a couple of times this year and I think Kyle needed to step away for a year or two and mature as a coach. I'm not sure Kyle or his players wanted to be at that tournament game against Manchester. He definitely didn't coach like he wanted to win. I think Kyle could learn a lot from Travis on game coaching and Travis could benefit from Kyle's help in practice. Sounds like it might work for both and maybe Kyle could take over in a couple of years. I would not think about trading Travis for Kyle Miller after watching Western's last tourney game.

Regarding Perdue, does anyone actually think one would or would not take a coaching job based on if Perdue leaves or stays. Taking a coaching job for a kid that will be in your program 1 year? I would hope one would look a little further down the road than that. According to the program Western had one senior (though they will miss him), one junior that played a lot and the rest freshman and sophomores. Western will win a lot of games next year because the SOC I will be as bad as it's been in years. Many coaches could win as many games next year as Western won this year with what they have coming back with or without Perdue.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Farmer Jim wrote:
bman wrote:
jibblepie wrote:
Skeens is very talented. Adams has somewhat underachieved in the tournament, but has done his job well in league play. That Eastern team they ran into in the tournament was just deeper and more talented overall, so it is easy to see why they would have lost to them.

Who would even want this job at this point?
I have no dog in the fight, but I think folks at SE had overinflated expectations. SE did beat Miami Trace and Amanda during the regular season, both solid wins, but top-to-bottom, D3 in the SE this year was tougher than D2. They needed to have another Skeens or Wheeler quality of player to get to where they wanted to be in D3.
With all due respect to the SE girls coaching staff, the SVC was so down there was no way they weren't going to win that league. Concerning the folks at SE that bman claims had overinflated expectations. Remember, their volleyball team and boys basketball team both went to the regionals. Why shouldn't they expect their girls basketball team, which has the most talent, to do just as well or better. Then, when you see that they got rid of their boys coach after making it to the regionals, it just seems confusing to most of us.
Out of the three sports you mentioned, girls basketball was the strongest, and it wasn't even close. Volleyball from top-to-bottom in D3 is not very good. If you have a decent team from the SVC or TVC, you'll typically get to a district final. Boys basketball in D3 was the weakest it has been in many years. Girls basketball had a number of strong teams.

But I'll agree with your post if you tell me what SE's coach could have done differently to beat Eastern Brown in a district final? I've never met SE's coach and I don't have a dog in the fight. SE didn't have the depth that several other teams in the district had like Lynchburg, Eastern, Alex, etc. SE was honestly fortunate to beat Ironton in a district semifinal. SE had a good team this year, but it takes a pretty good team to get to a regional or state. unless you get really hot (a lot of that's due to luck) or you play in a down district.

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

The Perdue kid is a nice player . Why and we're will he wind up? Why is he leaving his Senior year to relocate. Will he have to sit out 50 %?. Very strange.

Farmer Jim
Waterboy

Post by Farmer Jim »

bman wrote:
Out of the three sports you mentioned, girls basketball was the strongest, and it wasn't even close. Volleyball from top-to-bottom in D3 is not very good. If you have a decent team from the SVC or TVC, you'll typically get to a district final. Boys basketball in D3 was the weakest it has been in many years. Girls basketball had a number of strong teams.

But I'll agree with your post if you tell me what SE's coach could have done differently to beat Eastern Brown in a district final? I've never met SE's coach and I don't have a dog in the fight. SE didn't have the depth that several other teams in the district had like Lynchburg, Eastern, Alex, etc. SE was honestly fortunate to beat Ironton in a district semifinal. SE had a good team this year, but it takes a pretty good team to get to a regional or state. unless you get really hot (a lot of that's due to luck) or you play in a down district.
Sorry, but I never said they should have beat Eastern Brown. I just stated I could understand how the people from SE would expect more since their volleyball team and boys basketball team accomplished more. I didn't even watch the SE/ Eastern Brown game. I'm still confused as to why they fired the boys coach, though.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I have seen a lot of high school basketball games in my lifetime and I would rate Ella Skeens in my top five of all time girl players. That is, the ones I have seen in person. Of course, number one being Katie Smith, she was true five tool player, (shoot, pass, rebound, post, and defend). And the rest in no particular order, but Marlene Stollings, an absolute scoring machine, Sina King, super skilled, Beth Howe, great player. In my opinion, Ella could be right there, I am interested in seeing how her senior year plays out. You also cannot ignore that she is the genetic offspring of two (2) 1,000 point scorers, great players in their own right.

However, you can't help but think, wonder, what her career would have looked like, lets say in the hands of Jeff Miller, or Jerry Close, or someone that runs sets, understands transition, and defends.

kram
Varsity

Post by kram »

This is a boys thread, let's get back to talking about that.

The girls thread can be found at this link...
http://www.southeasternohiopreps.com/viewforum.php?f=5

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

South Gallia and Symmes Valley are posted on the OHSAA site. Unsure if they have been discussed.

ShooterFlatch
Waterboy

Post by ShooterFlatch »

Tigerfan92 wrote:
SWJeeps22 wrote:
No one really talks about why Southeastern was 5-17 going into the tourney if he was doing a good job. The SVC was not that good this year and Div 3 tourney was as bad as its been in years. Don't let one years tourney success at the end of the year determine whether you will have long term success as a coach. (See next paragraph.) Not saying he is or is not a good coach. Just wondering what happened in season.

Word has it Kyle Miller will be helping Travis at Waverly next year. I have watched Kyle Miller a couple of times this year and I think Kyle needed to step away for a year or two and mature as a coach. I'm not sure Kyle or his players wanted to be at that tournament game against Manchester. He definitely didn't coach like he wanted to win. I think Kyle could learn a lot from Travis on game coaching and Travis could benefit from Kyle's help in practice. Sounds like it might work for both and maybe Kyle could take over in a couple of years. I would not think about trading Travis for Kyle Miller after watching Western's last tourney game.

Regarding Perdue, does anyone actually think one would or would not take a coaching job based on if Perdue leaves or stays. Taking a coaching job for a kid that will be in your program 1 year? I would hope one would look a little further down the road than that. According to the program Western had one senior (though they will miss him), one junior that played a lot and the rest freshman and sophomores. Western will win a lot of games next year because the SOC I will be as bad as it's been in years. Many coaches could win as many games next year as Western won this year with what they have coming back with or without Perdue.

Yeah, he just won a district championship at Western, he should definitely take time off. :roll:

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Tigerfan92 wrote:
SWJeeps22 wrote:
Without a teaching license, will Waverly pay him to be the assistant to the Safety Coordinator and full time hall monitor? LOL Maybe they will charge for parking during basketball games to raise the funds, or maybe take out another low interest loan to pay for his salary!

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

WarriorBlue wrote:
VisionQuest wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:Will Athens be open, I know from the summer post a bit of a disappointing season and he's not a teacher, will someone else step up?
Stirring the Pot are we??? Should Warrens coach be gone as well. Didn't make it to the Convo with all that talent he had. Some would consider that disappointing. 1st year coach goes 14-10 and beats A solid Sheridan team in Sectional and then goes to the CONVO and Competes with a great Miami Trace team. What more can you ask for. Go crawl back under that Rock you Hid under when your Mighty Warriors lost to a 6 seed.
When you've had the success that Blane Maddox has had at Warren against Athens then I fully understand why you'd wish for such a stupid move by the Warren School Board. That's the ONLY way Athens will beat Warren. If you couldn't do it with Joe Borrow & Ibi Watson I really don't see it happening at all.
•Pot Stirred Again•
Lol-Ok...you are way off on this-It was a Comparison. Maddox is a great coach. Nothing meant against him. Barlow wants to insenuate problems at Athens??-Really??-1st year coach goes 14-10 and makes it to the CONVO and had a lot of behind the scenes problems to deal with that most aren't aware of...Come on now-Why would his Job even be in Question-Barlow just getting his little digs in...

albany
Waterboy

Post by albany »

You two are funny. Almost football season. Note the year before Athens also goes 13-9. That was with All State Lutz missing last ten games.Can you imagine if he missed games this past year? That year last 10 games the FB player was asked to score and Skinner did a great job. Beat Vinton and Meigs then injuries struck some more. This years coach at Athens did a fine job. Fans see his pitfalls which will be hard to overcome this year . But the guy knows basketball and has a great passion for the game. Look for a big season if the shots get distributed. give him a chance. Remember he really wanted this job no one forced it on him. When you want something bad enough you succeed. Prediction Athens wins at least two in the convo.

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

Is Pittser stepping away at Miami Trace?

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

hawkeyepierce wrote:What in the heck is going on in Southeastern? The man wins a district title and I am hearing from my friends in Londonderry way, he got non-renew (axed). The curse of Larry Jordan continues..... :roll:
It's a mess, but there was little hope for coach Slaughter when he was hired. He's not a "SE guy" and didn't have any connections. The administration and board are killing the program by not letting a coach set up a program. Look for Strausbaugh to get the job, unless the board gives it to Chris Skaggs.

ShooterFlatch
Waterboy

Post by ShooterFlatch »

kram wrote:This is a boys thread, let's get back to talking about that.

The girls thread can be found at this link...
http://www.southeasternohiopreps.com/viewforum.php?f=5

Who went in your Cheerios?

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

I agree with Kram. This thread was becoming a Southeastern High School Girls Basketball forum.

Was Slaughter relieved of his teaching duties as well?

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

Greg Himes (former coach at Southern State CC and UC-Clermont) has been hired as the new Varsity Boys Basketball Coach at West Union.

SHACFan
Freshman Team

Post by SHACFan »

socfan wrote:Greg Himes (former coach at Southern State CC and UC-Clermont) has been hired as the new Varsity Boys Basketball Coach at West Union.
Homerun hire for West Union. Look for them to compete for league title next season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”