Coaching Vacancies

Ironman92
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Ironman92 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:41 pm

brown22 wrote:
smurray wrote:
king kong wrote:. That is what I heard as well, I figured s Murray was hinting at that!
Yes
Could coach Milller possibly be making his way to Waverly I've been hearing things. Smurray u have any news coming out of Waverly for us.
Robertson not going to coach his son's talented group???



Spud
Bench
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Spud » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Just out of curiosity, is Robertson still at Waverly, or, is he about three coaches back? If he is not at Waverly, where is he coaching? And, where is Howie Caldwell? God, I miss that stomp.

danicalifornia
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by danicalifornia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Spud wrote:Just out of curiosity, is Robertson still at Waverly, or, is he about three coaches back? If he is not at Waverly, where is he coaching? And, where is Howie Caldwell? God, I miss that stomp.
Robertson coached this year (with a 19 man coaching staff lol)

Howie is at Trimble.

Ironman92
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Ironman92 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Spud wrote:Just out of curiosity, is Robertson still at Waverly, or, is he about three coaches back? If he is not at Waverly, where is he coaching? And, where is Howie Caldwell? God, I miss that stomp.
Robertson was there all year and they had a very successful year and a great group coming thru the ranks.

Howie coached the Trimble boys this year

thebarlowbandit
Varsity Bench
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by thebarlowbandit » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:08 am

Will Athens be open, I know from the summer post a bit of a disappointing season and he's not a teacher, will someone else step up?

smurray
Varsity Backup
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by smurray » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:13 pm

danicalifornia wrote:
Spud wrote:Just out of curiosity, is Robertson still at Waverly, or, is he about three coaches back? If he is not at Waverly, where is he coaching? And, where is Howie Caldwell? God, I miss that stomp.
danicalifornia wrote:Robertson coached this year (with a 19 man coaching staff lol)
Maybe 8 at times. I have heard others joke about the number of coaches Travis has assisting but I made it a point to count others at the Convo and some of them had 6-7. I know with Travis they each have specific duties.

smurray
Varsity Backup
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by smurray » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Ironman92 wrote:
Spud wrote:Just out of curiosity, is Robertson still at Waverly, or, is he about three coaches back? If he is not at Waverly, where is he coaching? And, where is Howie Caldwell? God, I miss that stomp.
Robertson was there all year and they had a very successful year and a great group coming thru the ranks.

Howie coached the Trimble boys this year
Probably Travis' best coaching since he's been at waverly. Not many expected the Tigers to be much more than a .500 squad but he got the absolute best out of them. A 16-6 regular season record and a Sectional Championship was a very successful season and they were just a another made shot here or there away from 18-4 or even 20-2. Travis and the staff did an excellent job of preparing them for success and making them believers.
Waverly is primed for much more success in the coming years.

danicalifornia
2nd Team All State
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by danicalifornia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:37 pm

smurray wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:
Spud wrote:Just out of curiosity, is Robertson still at Waverly, or, is he about three coaches back? If he is not at Waverly, where is he coaching? And, where is Howie Caldwell? God, I miss that stomp.
danicalifornia wrote:Robertson coached this year (with a 19 man coaching staff lol)
Maybe 8 at times. I have heard others joke about the number of coaches Travis has assisting but I made it a point to count others at the Convo and some of them had 6-7. I know with Travis they each have specific duties.
They all are very good coaches. It's just a lot, so it's easy to joke about. They had a great season.

king kong
Freshman Starter
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by king kong » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pm

smurray wrote:
brown22 wrote:
smurray wrote:
Yes
Could coach Milller possibly be making his way to Waverly I've been hearing things. Smurray u have any news coming out of Waverly for us.
I'll PM you
I am curious as well to what might be happening, can you pm me?

Titan
Waterboy
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Titan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Surely , Robertson is coming back next year. Had a very nice season this year, and the future looks very bright. What grade is his very talented son in? Can't see him stepping down when his son is part of it real soon. Whatever is best for him though!

Titan
Waterboy
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Titan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Who is the early names being mentioned for the Zane trace job? Here is a program on its way straight up. Very talented , young letterman coming back, and the younger grades are talented for a long time to come. Probably the team to end unioto's run, and probably real soon if u know what I mean. Is kellough being mentioned for this one (has grandson in Jr high - which kellough coached). Or what about successful long time girls coach joe dunkle (zt grad)? Or maybe a Pat Beard (zt grad) another successful girls coach. Just some quick names that came to mind when I heard this job was open. In my opinion this will be a very sought out coaching job with a lot, and I do mean a lot of interested candidates. So let's hear the early names being mentioned , if anyone knows at this point.

smurray
Varsity Backup
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by smurray » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Titan wrote:Surely , Robertson is coming back next year. Had a very nice season this year, and the future looks very bright. What grade is his very talented son in? Can't see him stepping down when his son is part of it real soon. Whatever is best for him though!
A conversation about Kyle Killer is now swirling speculation that Travis is stepping down. Don't look for that to happen anytime soon.
His oldest son was a part of the very special undefeated 7th grade team.
The 8th grade and freshman teams had very good years and the JV squad went undefeated as well.

Spud
Bench
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Spud » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Robertson was there all year and they had a very successful year and a great group coming thru the ranks.

Howie coached the Trimble boys this year

Thank you for the information.

VisionQuest
Freshman Starter
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by VisionQuest » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:58 pm

thebarlowbandit wrote:Will Athens be open, I know from the summer post a bit of a disappointing season and he's not a teacher, will someone else step up?
Stirring the Pot are we??? Should Warrens coach be gone as well. Didn't make it to the Convo with all that talent he had. Some would consider that disappointing. 1st year coach goes 14-10 and beats A solid Sheridan team in Sectional and then goes to the CONVO and Competes with a great Miami Trace team. What more can you ask for. Go crawl back under that Rock you Hid under when your Mighty Warriors lost to a 6 seed.

N2Hoops
Bench
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:11 am
Location: Sciotoville

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by N2Hoops » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 am

Titan wrote:Who is the early names being mentioned for the Zane trace job? Here is a program on its way straight up. Very talented , young letterman coming back, and the younger grades are talented for a long time to come. Probably the team to end unioto's run, and probably real soon if u know what I mean. Is kellough being mentioned for this one (has grandson in Jr high - which kellough coached). Or what about successful long time girls coach joe dunkle (zt grad)? Or maybe a Pat Beard (zt grad) another successful girls coach. Just some quick names that came to mind when I heard this job was open. In my opinion this will be a very sought out coaching job with a lot, and I do mean a lot of interested candidates. So let's hear the early names being mentioned , if anyone knows at this point.
ZT isn't even posted yet.

thedogg16
Bench
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:26 am
Location: I own 681

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by thedogg16 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 am

Likely opening at Eastern Meigs

Spud
Bench
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Spud » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:59 am

"Everett Snyder has coached 20-plus years at Fairfield High School either in basketball, soccer or track and field, but after over two decades, Snyder has decided to retire from coaching and take some time for himself and his family."

From the Highland County Press, Hillsboro, OH

Coach Snyder has set a high standard for whoever follows him. Good luck, Coach.

MisterAxeGrinder
Waterboy
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by MisterAxeGrinder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:24 pm

thebarlowbandit wrote:Will Athens be open, I know from the summer post a bit of a disappointing season and he's not a teacher, will someone else step up?
Barlow - There is just ONE PERSON to step up - and that is Coach Skinner!! He is a teacher in the system and is one of the greatest coaches to ever walk the sideline is South Eastern Ohio.

He was railroaded by a school board with an agenda and should be brought back to restore the glory of Athens basketball. Look at the number of college athletes he produced. He is also a role model for all that played for him.

As a long time Athens fan I say bring Back Skinner before some other school lures him away!!

Spud
Bench
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Spud » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm

I understand that Trimble is going to reinforce the playing floor this summer. Howie stomped so much that there was danger of the floor collapsing along the sideline where he weakened it. GO HOWIE!

BobcatQB
Waterboy
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by BobcatQB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:13 am

Cambridge

4thgoal
JV Backup
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:52 am
Location: Wheelersburg

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by 4thgoal » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:39 am

Rock Hill and Western Pike positions are posted as open on OHSAA

thedogg16
Bench
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:26 am
Location: I own 681

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by thedogg16 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:19 am

Reedsville Eastern

User avatar
hawkeyepierce
Bench
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by hawkeyepierce » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:51 am

What in the heck is going on in Southeastern? The man wins a district title and I am hearing from my friends in Londonderry way, he got non-renew (axed). The curse of Larry Jordan continues..... :roll:

spartans_fan
JV Backup
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by spartans_fan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 am

hawkeyepierce wrote:What in the heck is going on in Southeastern? The man wins a district title and I am hearing from my friends in Londonderry way, he got non-renew (axed). The curse of Larry Jordan continues..... :roll:
That is crazy. The excitement and support that this team had in the convo was awesome. How do you have a first year coach take you somewhere you have not been in 10 years and he gets non-renewed. I hope this is not the case.

Good luck to all.

Go Alex.

svc_guy
Waterboy
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:44 am

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by svc_guy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:44 am

spartans_fan wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:What in the heck is going on in Southeastern? The man wins a district title and I am hearing from my friends in Londonderry way, he got non-renew (axed). The curse of Larry Jordan continues..... :roll:
That is crazy. The excitement and support that this team had in the convo was awesome. How do you have a first year coach take you somewhere you have not been in 10 years and he gets non-renewed. I hope this is not the case.

Good luck to all.

Go Alex.
I can tell you this was already being done well before the tournament. The administration at Southeastern should be embarrassed. They will claim all kinds of excuses but they have a guy in mind and think he will bring back the Larry Jordan days. I can tell you, they are very thin coming up the next several years and it's not going to happen. This I why kids get discouraged and transfer around. The schools are too unstable and are always turning over coaches.

ShooterFlatch
Waterboy
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by ShooterFlatch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:01 pm

svc_guy wrote:
spartans_fan wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:What in the heck is going on in Southeastern? The man wins a district title and I am hearing from my friends in Londonderry way, he got non-renew (axed). The curse of Larry Jordan continues..... :roll:
That is crazy. The excitement and support that this team had in the convo was awesome. How do you have a first year coach take you somewhere you have not been in 10 years and he gets non-renewed. I hope this is not the case.

Good luck to all.

Go Alex.
I can tell you this was already being done well before the tournament. The administration at Southeastern should be embarrassed. They will claim all kinds of excuses but they have a guy in mind and think he will bring back the Larry Jordan days. I can tell you, they are very thin coming up the next several years and it's not going to happen. This I why kids get discouraged and transfer around. The schools are too unstable and are always turning over coaches.
So this seriously happened?

User avatar
hawkeyepierce
Bench
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by hawkeyepierce » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:20 pm

I was told an hour ago, by phone, this is a done deal. The kids were told last week.

I willing to bet there is a movement to get Mike Adams to coach boys. Which, a lot of my sources would be in favor of, but some has said he has under achieved with the girls, having the two best players in the Southeast District. This will be an interesting follow over the next few weeks. Good luck the student-athletes that deserve better.

jibblepie
Waterboy
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by jibblepie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:41 pm

This is why some local schools have more success than others. If you are constantly turning over coaches, then you're going to struggle.

How many schools have had the same coach for 10 years? Heck, how many schools have had the same coach for 3?

At the Convo, Division 2 had Logan Elm, Vinton County, Waverly, and Unioto that are all around 8-9+ years, with 2 being over 15. Chillicothe, Fairfield Union, and Miami Trace all are 3+, but have been stable. Athens had a 1st year coach, but that was after having the same coach for a long time.

I'm unsure of how long South Point's Coach has been there, but 5 of the other 7 at the Convo have been at their school's for 4 or more years.

It appears that schools that struggle are always flipping coaches or having them leave.

Southeastern ran off a young coach a few years back to bring in a hot candidate, welp, that didn't work out, so they brought in Slaughter and according to their Board, that didn't work out either. I wouldn't be shocked if 1 or more of the young kids take off with this news and I wouldn't blame them for wanting to go somewhere with some stability.

Sportsman
Waterboy
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Sportsman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:39 pm

WOW. Maybe Slaughter can relocate at Western. Why did Miller leave? Or ZT?

bman
JV Starter
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:23 am

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by bman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:22 am

hawkeyepierce wrote:I was told an hour ago, by phone, this is a done deal. The kids were told last week.

I willing to bet there is a movement to get Mike Adams to coach boys. Which, a lot of my sources would be in favor of, but some has said he has under achieved with the girls, having the two best players in the Southeast District. This will be an interesting follow over the next few weeks. Good luck the student-athletes that deserve better.

Saying SE has the two best players in Southeast District girls basketball is a big-time stretch. Ella Skeens is a very solid player - probably a lower D1/top-notch D2 player - but there are players just as good as her in the district. Same is the case for Audrie Wheeler.

Southeastern is not getting through to regionals, because an Eastern Brown has players that match or come close to matching Skeens and Wheeler, and then they win the matchups at the other three positions.

Sid Farkus
Waterboy
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by Sid Farkus » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 am

bman wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:I was told an hour ago, by phone, this is a done deal. The kids were told last week.

I willing to bet there is a movement to get Mike Adams to coach boys. Which, a lot of my sources would be in favor of, but some has said he has under achieved with the girls, having the two best players in the Southeast District. This will be an interesting follow over the next few weeks. Good luck the student-athletes that deserve better.

Saying SE has the two best players in Southeast District girls basketball is a big-time stretch. Ella Skeens is a very solid player - probably a lower D1/top-notch D2 player - but there are players just as good as her in the district. Same is the case for Audrie Wheeler.

Southeastern is not getting through to regionals, because an Eastern Brown has players that match or come close to matching Skeens and Wheeler, and then they win the matchups at the other three positions.
Saying Skeens is lower D1 or top D2 is underestimating her abilities. She already has approximately 15 D1 offers that include Xavier, Cincinnati, Ball State and others. These are not teams that are looking at her, these are full ride offers. There are other major D1 schools that are recruiting her, but have not offered, such as Dayton and Florida. Don't get on here and downplay her ability. She is the real deal and she has the offers to prove it.

jibblepie
Waterboy
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by jibblepie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Sid Farkus wrote:
bman wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:I was told an hour ago, by phone, this is a done deal. The kids were told last week.

I willing to bet there is a movement to get Mike Adams to coach boys. Which, a lot of my sources would be in favor of, but some has said he has under achieved with the girls, having the two best players in the Southeast District. This will be an interesting follow over the next few weeks. Good luck the student-athletes that deserve better.

Saying SE has the two best players in Southeast District girls basketball is a big-time stretch. Ella Skeens is a very solid player - probably a lower D1/top-notch D2 player - but there are players just as good as her in the district. Same is the case for Audrie Wheeler.

Southeastern is not getting through to regionals, because an Eastern Brown has players that match or come close to matching Skeens and Wheeler, and then they win the matchups at the other three positions.
Saying Skeens is lower D1 or top D2 is underestimating her abilities. She already has approximately 15 D1 offers that include Xavier, Cincinnati, Ball State and others. These are not teams that are looking at her, these are full ride offers. There are other major D1 schools that are recruiting her, but have not offered, such as Dayton and Florida. Don't get on here and downplay her ability. She is the real deal and she has the offers to prove it.
Skeens is very talented. Adams has somewhat underachieved in the tournament, but has done his job well in league play. That Eastern team they ran into in the tournament was just deeper and more talented overall, so it is easy to see why they would have lost to them.

Who would even want this job at this point?

bman
JV Starter
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:23 am

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by bman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Sid Farkus wrote:
bman wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:I was told an hour ago, by phone, this is a done deal. The kids were told last week.

I willing to bet there is a movement to get Mike Adams to coach boys. Which, a lot of my sources would be in favor of, but some has said he has under achieved with the girls, having the two best players in the Southeast District. This will be an interesting follow over the next few weeks. Good luck the student-athletes that deserve better.

Saying SE has the two best players in Southeast District girls basketball is a big-time stretch. Ella Skeens is a very solid player - probably a lower D1/top-notch D2 player - but there are players just as good as her in the district. Same is the case for Audrie Wheeler.

Southeastern is not getting through to regionals, because an Eastern Brown has players that match or come close to matching Skeens and Wheeler, and then they win the matchups at the other three positions.
Saying Skeens is lower D1 or top D2 is underestimating her abilities. She already has approximately 15 D1 offers that include Xavier, Cincinnati, Ball State and others. These are not teams that are looking at her, these are full ride offers. There are other major D1 schools that are recruiting her, but have not offered, such as Dayton and Florida. Don't get on here and downplay her ability. She is the real deal and she has the offers to prove it.
Less than one percent of basketball players get to play Division I basketball. That's not underestimating Ella, that's giving her great praise for achieving a level that few get to.

As for my D1/D2 comment, I've known players around here who have had D1 offers but went D2 to play immediately and get to compete for a national championship. That was their choice, just like it would be the choice for someone else to go play D1.
Last edited by bman on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bman
JV Starter
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:23 am

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by bman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:32 pm

jibblepie wrote:
Sid Farkus wrote:
bman wrote:

Saying SE has the two best players in Southeast District girls basketball is a big-time stretch. Ella Skeens is a very solid player - probably a lower D1/top-notch D2 player - but there are players just as good as her in the district. Same is the case for Audrie Wheeler.

Southeastern is not getting through to regionals, because an Eastern Brown has players that match or come close to matching Skeens and Wheeler, and then they win the matchups at the other three positions.
Saying Skeens is lower D1 or top D2 is underestimating her abilities. She already has approximately 15 D1 offers that include Xavier, Cincinnati, Ball State and others. These are not teams that are looking at her, these are full ride offers. There are other major D1 schools that are recruiting her, but have not offered, such as Dayton and Florida. Don't get on here and downplay her ability. She is the real deal and she has the offers to prove it.
Skeens is very talented. Adams has somewhat underachieved in the tournament, but has done his job well in league play. That Eastern team they ran into in the tournament was just deeper and more talented overall, so it is easy to see why they would have lost to them.

Who would even want this job at this point?
I have no dog in the fight, but I think folks at SE had overinflated expectations. SE did beat Miami Trace and Amanda during the regular season, both solid wins, but top-to-bottom, D3 in the SE this year was tougher than D2. They needed to have another Skeens or Wheeler quality of player to get to where they wanted to be in D3.

WarriorBlue
Waterboy
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:46 am

Re: Coaching Vacancies

Post by WarriorBlue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:15 am

VisionQuest wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:Will Athens be open, I know from the summer post a bit of a disappointing season and he's not a teacher, will someone else step up?
Stirring the Pot are we??? Should Warrens coach be gone as well. Didn't make it to the Convo with all that talent he had. Some would consider that disappointing. 1st year coach goes 14-10 and beats A solid Sheridan team in Sectional and then goes to the CONVO and Competes with a great Miami Trace team. What more can you ask for. Go crawl back under that Rock you Hid under when your Mighty Warriors lost to a 6 seed.
When you've had the success that Blane Maddox has had at Warren against Athens then I fully understand why you'd wish for such a stupid move by the Warren School Board. That's the ONLY way Athens will beat Warren. If you couldn't do it with Joe Borrow & Ibi Watson I really don't see it happening at all.
•Pot Stirred Again•

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: danicalifornia and 21 guests