AP Southeast All-District Honors

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: AP Southeast All-District Honors

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Yeah I saw the girls ones, anybody know about the guys?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chieftain2009 wrote:Yeah I saw the girls ones, anybody know about the guys?
Should be next week.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

My argument has MERIT...Naylon Yates-Only player who could "Compete" with the boys from COLUMBUS...Sorry but Shame on those who did not recognize his Talent...Look at the Film when it mattered most against the best Talent-Naylon Yates-done it last year and again this year....better wake up

final4
Waterboy

Post by final4 »

He is an outstanding player and had a great game yesterday. You need to look at the big picture though when evaluating some things. Bartoe got eastmoor's #1 defender and Jones had there #2 defender on him. #44 Yates had there 3rd perimeter defender on him. So sometimes you have a good game because of matchups afforded by the other teams strategy. He had a great game but ultimately Eastmoor's strategy produced a "W".

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

A lot of very outstanding coaches this season. Stiverson, Combs, Persin, Beauclar and others impressed me. I didn't see all of them but I was impressed with many of the ones I did see.

Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/story ... 0aee96f735

Naylan Yates got hosed. Look how many Meadowbrook players made all ohio!

notsurprised2
Waterboy

Post by notsurprised2 »

Naylan Yates got hosed. Look how many Meadowbrook players made all ohio!

I have never witnessed a player who earned and deserved to be recognized as much as Naylan did to recieve such little recognition. It wasnt hard to identify who the players were if you paid a little attention, especially when the competition became greater....

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

notsurprised2 wrote:Naylan Yates got hosed. Look how many Meadowbrook players made all ohio!

I have never witnessed a player who earned and deserved to be recognized as much as Naylan did to recieve such little recognition. It wasnt hard to identify who the players were if you paid a little attention, especially when the competition became greater....
Again, these teams were drawn up before the start of district tournament play and are now just being released. Vinton County has similar representation to Fairfield Union, a fellow district champ, and Miami Trace, who beat VC late in the regular season and advanced to a district final.

I agree that Meadowbrook has too much representation compared to the schools I just outlined above, but some districts go a little overboard or aren't as deep as our district was this season. I watched the three teams I mentioned above this season and saw the Meadowbrook-Vinton game, and all three of those teams I mentioned above would handle Meadowbrook, probably winning by double digits.

hoopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by hoopsfan »

It really looks to me like the AP tried to balance representation on the all-district 1st team to coincide with teams success. (may not have, but it appears that way) There were no first teamers from the same school team. It just happens to be a year where the district was so strong across the board. Lots of good teams, lots of good players. I do think a couple of kids could have/should have had better accolades for their performances this season. I think Jones from Vinton county could have easily been first team as well as Dennis from Warren. Yates from Vinton County definitely deserved better than 3rd team as well.

The one part that doesn't make sense is you would feel that the AP would have some input from the coaches votes and coaches all district team when choosing their teams. For example, Dennis from Warren was runner up to Bartoe in District 13 coaches and was also the SEOAL player of the year as voted on by newspapers, but was not part of the AP all district first team. Regardless it is not a perfect science and the state of Ohio is very big, so it is hard for the all state teams to be picked. It definitely looks like the AP all state teams are put together and "slotted" by what the results were from the individual districts. If that is the case, then the all district teams should be chosen regardless of what team representation there is, as all state teams are recognizing individual players.

With that being said, the southeast district division II had to be one of the most talented across the board in a long time. The Logan sectional was just an example as Marietta was an 8 seed (with a winning record), and that sectional was full of good teams and players. The other division ii sectional was also loaded with teams and players, and it is hard to imagine there being another season which features so many good teams and players. It was a special year for the southeast district. Congrats to Vinton County, Fairfield Union, Fairland, Portsmouth Clay, Waterford on great seasons. There are probably a couple of other teams that deserve congrats as well, these are just the ones I saw play at the convo.

Thanks to all who make this forum something fun to read and be able to keep up on the basketball talents and successes of the area.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

hoopsfan wrote:It really looks to me like the AP tried to balance representation on the all-district 1st team to coincide with teams success. (may not have, but it appears that way) There were no first teamers from the same school team. It just happens to be a year where the district was so strong across the board. Lots of good teams, lots of good players. I do think a couple of kids could have/should have had better accolades for their performances this season. I think Jones from Vinton county could have easily been first team as well as Dennis from Warren. Yates from Vinton County definitely deserved better than 3rd team as well.

The one part that doesn't make sense is you would feel that the AP would have some input from the coaches votes and coaches all district team when choosing their teams. For example, Dennis from Warren was runner up to Bartoe in District 13 coaches and was also the SEOAL player of the year as voted on by newspapers, but was not part of the AP all district first team. Regardless it is not a perfect science and the state of Ohio is very big, so it is hard for the all state teams to be picked. It definitely looks like the AP all state teams are put together and "slotted" by what the results were from the individual districts. If that is the case, then the all district teams should be chosen regardless of what team representation there is, as all state teams are recognizing individual players.

With that being said, the southeast district division II had to be one of the most talented across the board in a long time. The Logan sectional was just an example as Marietta was an 8 seed (with a winning record), and that sectional was full of good teams and players. The other division ii sectional was also loaded with teams and players, and it is hard to imagine there being another season which features so many good teams and players. It was a special year for the southeast district. Congrats to Vinton County, Fairfield Union, Fairland, Portsmouth Clay, Waterford on great seasons. There are probably a couple of other teams that deserve congrats as well, these are just the ones I saw play at the convo.

Thanks to all who make this forum something fun to read and be able to keep up on the basketball talents and successes of the area.
So if you move Yates from VC and Dennis from Warren to first team, I'm sure Fairfield Union and Miami Trace would also believe they should have two first-teamers, like VC and Warren. Lucas Thompson from FU and Deandre Pettiford from MT are also very solid players.

This is why no one got two players on first team, you swell the first team with too many players. Ultimately, you had 19 teams in D2 this year and a number of them had standout players that were first-team worthy. The good news for someone like Yates is next year will be his year to shine leading VC with Bartoe and Jones graduating.

hoopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by hoopsfan »

Yes. There were lots of good teams and players for sure, which is why it was tough. Just saying that the numbers that Jones and Dennis put up are usually first team type numbers. Not saying anyone that was on the first team didn't deserve it or aren't good players--they are all good players.

Return to “Boys Basketball”