Clay 54 South Webester 48 (2017 Convo)

Prime Time
All State

Re: Convo updates Clay vs South Webster 3-11 12pm

Post by Prime Time »

I also thought they played a bad game and still won the game, a great tribute to the whole Clay team and Head Coach Betton

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Have 3 more shirts to hand out if you guys are still here

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
REFEREE11
Riding the Bench

Post by REFEREE11 »

Great game and says a lot for Clay team. Their main scorers were not getting action and foul trouble but shows they played as a team and others stepped up. This is a team well coached and seems to have big community support! Webster has a great team, and battled until the end. Panthers have big games ahead but I do think they can bring home another championship! When your team is off and still pull off a win in District finals, says a lot! Well played!

RetiredLife
Waterboy

Post by RetiredLife »

formerfcfan wrote:Clay fans just had a standing ovation for when A Blevins hit foul #5
That was a standing ovation to cheer for Blevins hard played game and a senior. Nothing against him. Positive cheers! I was part of that standing and clapping for him.

RetiredLife
Waterboy

Post by RetiredLife »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Congrats to the Panthers!! Scioto county's only team to be moving on to the Regionals!!

Isn't the Blevins boy a Senior?? Maybe they were standing for that. Applauding the young man in his final game.

Why does everyone want to see the bad in something??!
Agreed, that was exactly what the applauding was for. Seens that negative is always the first thought in this world.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Great game to watch. Congrats to Clay on the District Championship.

Whether the Clay fans were standing because they were happy he fouled out or congratulating him-/- no cause for outrage. It's a 1 on the 1-10 outrage scale.

Good Season Jeeps!!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
RetiredLife
Waterboy

Post by RetiredLife »

formerfcfan wrote:This is my first time seeing Clay, so maybe this was just a bad game for them. Regardless, they'll need to really cut out the bad fouls and sloppy play if they want a chance vs the winner of GCC and Harvest Prep in the Sweet 16. They can't turn in the effort today next week and expect to win. However, this was an exciting game when it was all said and done. Lots of heart left out there by both teams.

I92 - yeah, emotional time. Practically the entire lower bowl of Clay fans, however, was standing, clapping and being classy for when SW received the runner up medals. So that was good. Their coaches and players were pretty tactful in the post-game.

I have followed Clay and they were off today. They haven't had many off games this season. When one of the main players are out it throws any team off. Clay has a top notch coach that is big on respect. I wouldn't expect anything more than them showing respect to opposing team win or lose. They have a good thing out there!

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Those kids have played against each other for years and some of them play AAU together. The ovation was for the effort over these past few years that they have competed. 2 teams from the same county that have respect for each other. Trying to make something bad out of a wonderful day for both communities to be here is just wrong. Guess you didn't see the players hugging and congratulating each other at center court when it was over. Both communities be proud and Scioto county be proud. Both bunches represented you well.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Thanks for clarifying. I apologize; a poor observation and interpretation on my part. I agree about after the game: the Clay fans were good winners & the players and staff as well acted in good character and with plenty of grace, class, and respect to SW after a very competitive, nail biting game.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

When Blevins fouled out there were definitely some Clay fans standing and cheering because he fouled out. Those would have been the ones waving goodbye to him. To say it didn't happen is wrong.

But, again --- every crowd does it. It's not anything to worry about. Formerfcfan pointed it out and shouldn't have to backtrack on it or apologize for it. It doesn't mean anything. It has nothing to do with the great sportsmanship between the players and coaches. It doesn't mean those Clay fans are bad people. If I was Alex Blevins I would take it as a compliment.

This game could have gone either way and I think Clay made better decisions in the last 3 minutes and those decided the outcome. Webster didn't get the ball in the right people's hands in crucial spots. Some shot choices weren't optimum --- pressure can make things difficult.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Panthers district champs. In regards to fans cheering, you forgot to mention the Webster fans stood and cheered on the 4th foul/ horrible call on King at the 6 minute mark in 3rd quarter. Should they sit quiet? sure Clay had to like the 5th foul just as much as Webster wish they could have cheered King's 5th. Not sure why that was even brought up.Congratulations to the Panthers and good luck Tuesday. Webster on a good season.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Agreed. Clay needs him on the floor for 32 minutes if they have any chance with Grove City Christian.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Madness wrote:Those kids have played against each other for years and some of them play AAU together. The ovation was for the effort over these past few years that they have competed. 2 teams from the same county that have respect for each other. Trying to make something bad out of a wonderful day for both communities to be here is just wrong. Guess you didn't see the players hugging and congratulating each other at center court when it was over. Both communities be proud and Scioto county be proud. Both bunches represented you well.
Agreed. As a Webster fan, I didn't have a problem with Clay fans cheering when Blevins fouled out. I definitely heard some Webster fans cheering when King picked up his 4th foul in 3rd quarter! But I agree with madness that there was a lot of mutual respect on that court today during and after the game as these kids have competed against each other since grade school, and some were even AAU teammates. Hate that Webster lost, but I'll be rooting on Clay to get to State.

As for Webster, great season. The kids and staff faced some turmoil, but band-aided their way to a District runner-up. The lack of depth finally caught up with the Jeeps today. Coach Fenton and staff coached these kids up and got the program back in good shape. With the loaded junior high class coming, and Shiloah Blevins back for 2 more years, gotta think Webster will be a Regional threat next couple of years. As for the seniors, great finish to their careers. I've told my son "watch how Alek Blevins plays" numerous times...that may be the ultimate compliment to a player. Shane Zimmerman scored less this year, but was a better all-around player. Great overall career for Shane. And Matthew Schonkweiler had a great senior year to cap off a solid career. Seniors will definitely be missed, but near future looking real bright for Webster.*

juanmorales
JV Team

Re: Convo: 3/11 (12PM) #1 Clay vs. #6 South Webster

Post by juanmorales »

Clay's supposed "off night" was solely bc of SW. Have to give them credit for that. They gave Clay everything that they wanted. But Clay found a way to win and that's what good teams do. Tall task the next game, but if they hit shots, they'll be right there

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Also wanted to say: Webster fan here.

The 4th foul on King was a phantom call. I had a great look down that baseline from my seat. The Webster player slipped or fell and I don't think there was any contact. Felt bad for King and Clay in that situation.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

LucasDavenport wrote:Also wanted to say: Webster fan here.

The 4th foul on King was a phantom call. I had a great look down that baseline from my seat. The Webster player slipped or fell and I don't think there was any contact. Felt bad for King and Clay in that situation.
Thank you. I previously stated horrible call. Several people said King was 2 feet away from the player. Despite that, the team played and increased the lead by 2 points with King on the bench for over 8 minutes. Says a lot about the Panther team. They found a way to win and advance. Very exciting for team,coaches ,fans and community. Now prepare for regional.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

CONGRATULATIONS CLAY. AND GREAT SEASON SOUTH WEBSTER.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

There are names you hear after every Clay game. But those who have known this bunch since biddy ball, they will tell you the blue collar guy is Anthony Williams. He has overcome so much, but has always been willing to dive into the paint at 5'11" (I think) against some seriously talented big men. It's no surprise that when the bell rang late in the game, he was ready for the challenge. I hope I can make it to the Convo Tuesday so I can tell him personally how proud I am of him after another victory!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

CoachC wrote:There are names you hear after every Clay game. But those who have known this bunch since biddy ball, they will tell you the blue collar guy is Anthony Williams. He has overcome so much, but has always been willing to dive into the paint at 5'11" (I think) against some seriously talented big men. It's no surprise that when the bell rang late in the game, he was ready for the challenge. I hope I can make it to the Convo Tuesday so I can tell him personally how proud I am of him after another victory!
Agreed...Williams stepped up bigtime for Clay when King was off the floor in foul trouble and had some big buckets for Clay. Williams gets little pub on this talented Clay team but was the difference-maker on Saturday for them.*

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

juanmorales wrote:Clay's supposed "off night" was solely bc of SW. Have to give them credit for that. They gave Clay everything that they wanted. But Clay found a way to win and that's what good teams do. Tall task the next game, but if they hit shots, they'll be right there
Yep...I think Webster had a lot to do with Clay's "off night." It's not like Webster played lights out...they left a lot of points on the floor as well with missed free throws and costly turnovers. Hate to think what might've been, but if Webster had their full team from early in the year, I like the Jeeps' chances against any D4 team in Se Ohio.*

Return to “Boys Basketball”