Sunday's DIII Action at the Convo to Wrap Up Week 1 of Basketball Thirty ...Oak Hill 47 Paint Valley 46 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Sunday's DIII Action at the Convo to Wrap Up Week 1 of Basketball Thirty ...Oak Hill 47 Paint Valley 46 a final

Post by pfloyd »

... I know it seems unfathomable to sit in the same seat for 7 1/2 hours watching a game , okay 4 games that in the BIG picture of life mean so little BUT in the worlds of EVERY player, coach, fan who watched the games - they ... WE would never be anywhere else - Basketball Thirty of the DIII District Semi Final variety - a darn near perfect day in my book ...

Game #4

Oak Hill 47
Paint Valley 46 final

... What a great game ! the Oaks entered the game sporting a trio of outstanding players in Landon & Nolan Carroll and Mithcell Hale makes 3... throw in a short (in numbers) but talented group of role players Brett Young, Troy Moore and Wes Mullett ... Coach Persin's troops entered the contest at 22-1 with literally and figuratively their BIGGEST obstacle ahead of them Paint Valley & 6-11 post player Dylan Swingle ... in high school hoops if you have a 6-11 big man in the paint - especially Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - you have a one man show at the very least and at the most you have the makings of a team that could go deep into the one & done season by riding the talent of your BIG ...

... both TEAMS lived up to the pre-game chatter ... the Oak Hill 3 were as advertised offensively and the entire TEAM is one of the best defensive TEAMS you will find in SEOhio no matter the division ... Paint Valley ? Dylan Swingle ? a one man show in this game as PV totaled 46 points on the game - the big man in the middle put down 30 of those points including a 2 handed putback dunk in the 4th period ... when I think of Oak Hill coached by Coach Norm Persin - I know they are going to be a fundamentally sound TEAM at both ends of the court - the didn't disappoint ... Swingle DID get 30 points - outstanding - but the Oaks with only one player at 6-3 Brett Long, followed by Nolan Carroll's 6-2 rangy frame - it was left up to N. Carroll to hold the PV big man in check - after watching the game firsthand 30 points was outstanding defense ...

... Paint Valley opened the game showing a full arsenal of weapons - Andrew Brauner accounted for 5 first qtr points ... Bryce Newland (3) drilled a triple ... Caden Grubb added 2 points while Dylan Swingle opened with 6 first qtr points to go with 2 blocks on the defensive side ... for the Oaks the threesome of Landon Carroll (2) , Mitchell Hale (7) and Nolan Carroll (3) accounted for all of the OH scoring ... Oak Hill 12 Paint Valley 16 end of one ... In the 2nd quarter we saw the contributions from the PV role players dwindle Braumer drained a triple (his points for the game) Grubb added 2 more points - he too was done adding to the scoring column for the night ... the Bearcat Big Man put up 3 more buckets (7 points) ... the Oaks triple threat put up nothing but three balls as Oak Hill went 5/8 from behind thE arc ... 5/6 fgs in the quarter for OH were threes with the lone deuce knocked down by Wes Mullett who added a triple on his own ball ... Oak Hill 29 Paint Valley 28 at intermission ... the 3rd Qtr. was a defensive battle ... Landon Carroll was shutout in the 3rd for OH as Nolan Carroll, Hale, and off the bench Wes Mullett kept pace with Dylan Swingle's 8 pts in the quarter - Swingle was the ONLY Bearcat to score a fg in the 2nd half of play ... I'll say it again ... Dylan Swingle was the ONLY Bearcat to score a fg in the 3rd & 4th quarters ... Oak Hill 38 Paint Valley 36 end of three ... To advance in the post season - teams have to have their marque players step up and do what they DO ... when the players counted on to "get it done" don't - it's baseball season ... in the 4th period Swingle did what he does best at 6-11 - he threw down a two-handed dunk to tie the score 38-38 at the 4:24 mark of the 4th ... TO Oaks ... PV's BIG added 5 more points while the Oaks got a three from Hale ... TO Bearcats leading 43-41 with 1:56 to play ... THE player all season for the OAKS who has been counted on to put up points, to carry OH every night came through with a 2 pointer and 1 for 2 from the line to get the Oaks to 44 while defensively in the same stretch Coach Persin & OH took chances defensively, committing timely fouls to put PV at the line with the only chance being to have the PV role players go to the line and hope they missed ... and they did ! picking up 1 FT in 3 opportunities to go with a Swingle putback bucket ... OH time out Bearcats 46 Oaks 44 ... :57 seconds left ... I'm willing to bet that every single player on the floor , including every single hoops fan in the stands at the Convo have all played out the last 10 seconds of a BIG game when we were on the playground or in the gym as kids " 10 ... 9 ... pfloyd gets the pass ... 8 .... steps back behind the arc ...7 ... 6 ... the shot goes up !!! .... 5 .... " shots of a lifetime ... of the "remember when " variety ... with 11 seconds to go the Oaks worked to get a shot 2 or 3 didn't matter , I believe it was Hale with the ball in the left corner ... his back to the basket - he wasn't going to be able to get a shot off ... he found Mr. Clutch - Landon Carroll 5 feet away , facing up to the rim, Carroll stepped into the shot - nothing but net from behind the 3 point line ... PV had a desperation shot to run out the clock ... great game by both teams ... all of the prime time players lived up to the billing doing what made them prime time players ... Oak Hill 47 Paint Valley 46 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Paint Valley ...

Scoring ... Dylan Swingle 30, Andrew Brauner 8 , Caden Grubb 4 , Bryce Newland 4
3 Pointers ... 2/9 ...Andrew Brauner 1, Bryce Newland 1
FTs ......... 4/10
TOs ....... 11
PntP ..... 36
Points in Transition .... 2

... Dylan Swingle has developed into a very good man in the middle ... I saw DS when he was a freshman - he had excellent footwork, had a 12-15 foot shot jumper - didn't see it last night - but he has great touch from the FT line which being 6-11 in a small ball Southeast district is a must - he should go to the line double digit times per game ... last night he was at the line for 3 FT attempts - not enough ... to become the dominate Big Man he can be he needs to get "an attitude" ... he must become a physical 6-11 big MAN ... I hope I see that next season from Dylan Swingle - he will be special his senior year if the "attitude" is developed ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Oak Hill ...

Scoring ... Mitchell Hale 21, Landon Carroll 11, Nolan Carroll 8, Wes Mullett 7
3 Pointers .... 10/26 ... Mitchell Hale 5, Landon Carroll 2, Nolan Carroll 2, Wes Mullett 1
FTs ... 1/2
TOs ... 13
PntP ... 16
Points in Transition ... 8

... IF you ever had the opportunity to see the Coach Persin coached Chesapeake teams you would have seen exactly what you see from this Oak Hill ball club - solid fundamentally , the crisp passing, no wasted dribbling, all of the options of the triple threat position are in play- pass first, dribble when necessary and shoot when you have "your" shot from the spot on the floor that TEAM wants you to take it ... not intimidated by opponents, move your feet, keep the offensive player in front of you, use your body defensively keeping your hands out of it for the most part ... I love watching Coach Persin TEAMS - that ball touches the floor only as a last resort LOL ... Landon Carroll, Mitchell Hale, Nolan Carroll are as good as you will find ... Landon Carroll has the demeanor to be THAT special "go to" "give me the ball" player ... the Oaks are in the Elite 8 of the rankings for a reason, the Oaks are 23-1 FOR A REASON! they.are.a.good.TEAM!

Return to “Boys Basketball”